Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

Hey all- I'm a Rutgers fan 1st and foremost, but a huge Greg Schiano fan and will root for him wherever he ends up.

He turned RU from the absolute doormat of college football who went to 1 bowl game in a million years, to a team that went to 6 bowl games in 7 years and has a number of guys playing in the NFL now.

He beat a few top 10 teams along the way and was on more than one occasion only 1 play away from winning an automatic berth into a BCS bowl game. (Damn you WVU)

He has since moved on to coach in the NFL and spent two years under Meyer. I believe that he is going to absolutely kill it in his next job. If you can win at Rutgers with a terrible history, no infrastructure, crappy facilities, and very little support from the University, I can only imagine what he will do at a school with tradition and facilities.

He will need to bring in a good OC and not micromanage him, and he will have a couple of WTF losses now and again, but I think he is a phenomenal coach and I hope he lands a gig this year. Wherever it is, I will be rooting for them. If it's UT, look for me to be on here and jumping on the Vols bandwagon. If it is somewhere else, good luck with your search!

I’m betting this username doesn’t last 3 weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey all- I'm a Rutgers fan 1st and foremost, but a huge Greg Schiano fan and will root for him wherever he ends up.

He turned RU from the absolute doormat of college football who went to 1 bowl game in a million years, to a team that went to 6 bowl games in 7 years and has a number of guys playing in the NFL now.

He beat a few top 10 teams along the way and was on more than one occasion only 1 play away from winning an automatic berth into a BCS bowl game. (Damn you WVU)

He has since moved on to coach in the NFL and spent two years under Meyer. I believe that he is going to absolutely kill it in his next job. If you can win at Rutgers with a terrible history, no infrastructure, crappy facilities, and very little support from the University, I can only imagine what he will do at a school with tradition and facilities.

He will need to bring in a good OC and not micromanage him, and he will have a couple of WTF losses now and again, but I think he is a phenomenal coach and I hope he lands a gig this year. Wherever it is, I will be rooting for them. If it's UT, look for me to be on here and jumping on the Vols bandwagon. If it is somewhere else, good luck with your search!

He would be an amazing hire.

Guy knows how to build a program and Tennessee needs a coach to teach them how to win again, and be tough.

Schiano would accomplish this and be great.

Thanks for sharing the thought. And don't worry about our 🥜 jobs on here.

Fire whoever you have and hire him back.

Mullen beat the #8, #12, #2 teams in 3 straight games. Please tell me where Schiano has done anything close to that.....

Interesting! Did you know that Auburn was the only team out of those three teams who finished the season with a ranking in the top-25. Auburn finished at 22. LSU and Texas A&M were highly ranked at the time that they played, but they proved to not be very good (finished the season unranked).

So if you look at the end-of-season rankings, Dan Mullen only beat a single ranked team. Auburn at #22. Much less impressive.

Interesting! Did you know that Auburn was the only team out of those three teams who finished the season with a ranking in the top-25. Auburn finished at 22. LSU and Texas A&M were highly ranked at the time that they played, but they proved to not be very good (finished the season unranked).

So if you look at the end-of-season rankings, Dan Mullen only beat a single ranked team. Auburn at #22. Much less impressive.

It’s almost like Mullen had a big hand in making sure those top teams didn’t finish the season in the top of the field. Try a better argument bud.

It’s almost like Mullen had a big hand in making sure those top teams didn’t finish the season in the top of the field. Try a better argument bud.

Neither of those teams dropped from the top-25 immediately after their loss to MSU. Each of those teams lost 5 games.

It's a great argument all those wins were at the beginning of the season.

We all know the top 25 list to begin the year have no actual base on your team that year....

More to do how you finished the year before.

Why Greg Schiano Decided to Stay at Ohio State | Eleven Warriors

What if you retained Gillespie, Hoke and the db coach and built a killer defense with Schiano? Pick up the best offensive coordinator from UCLA or other staffs in transition and get rolling. Gillespie and others keep the recruiting class intact and you invest the $1,000,000 spent on Bob Shoop into offensive coaches. I don't think Urban Meyer would put up with Schiano if he was not an exceptional coach. In the arms race currently going on with open positions - Vols could way overpay for a rookie coach (buyouts, etc.) when Schiano might be the best of the 2nd Level guys anyway.

How ex-Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano is preparing for his next job | SI.com

Above story is real interesting read.

I remember Rutgers being a really good team under Schiano and I was surprised he did not go to a bigger football school as he sure had opportunities. The fact he stayed 11 years is surprising. I also think Schiano deserves a strong evaluation from Currie. Time spent in Florida in Miami and Tampa could be an asset for recruiting.

He turned down Michigan (they ended up with RichRod) and Miami (Randy Shannon) while he was at RU. Has twin sons who are Seniors at a HS in Columbus and didn't want to leave OSU until they graduated. There were rumors last year that he turned down USF and Oregon, and that Miami might have offered if UGA didn't fire Richt. Also there are people that believe RU tried to lure him back before hiring Chris Ash, but he wasn't interested in returning. He is a great NJ and Florida recruiter and has really become a strong national recruiter at OSU.

He turned down Michigan (they ended up with RichRod) and Miami (Randy Shannon) while he was at RU. Has twin sons who are Seniors at a HS in Columbus and didn't want to leave OSU until they graduated. There were rumors last year that he turned down USF and Oregon, and that Miami might have offered if UGA didn't fire Richt. Also there are people that believe RU tried to lure him back before hiring Chris Ash, but he wasn't interested in returning. He is a great NJ and Florida recruiter and has really become a strong national recruiter at OSU.

He has been waiting on the right opportunity. Him and Saban are really close. And he has Sexton working on him to Tennessee.

He is a GREAT COLLEGE coach. Hope Tennessee pulls this one off.

Wow this forum is insane! What an incredible mix of knowledgeable football fans and clueless psychopaths. It’s been very interesting to follow, but man it probably isn’t healthy for anyone to check this place out more than once every few days

I'll just leave this here from another thread about Schiano. This is without even arguing about the Sandusky scandal that he may or may not have had knowledge of.

1)68-67 at Rutgers
2)28-48 in the Big East (37 percent win percentage)
3)After he "turned the corner" with that 11-2 2006 team, his record was 16-19 in the big east.
4)In his eleven years at Rutgers not once did they play a strength of schedule greater than 50th in the nation. His average SOS was 69.
5)30 of his 40 non conference wins came against teams from non-BCS conferences. In case you can't math that's 44 percent of his wins at Rutgers.

The above isn't opinion, it's fact. There is zero way in hell you can look at that and rationally view Schiano as a good option.

Now idk if Mullen can be successful or not but he's played a much tougher schedule and half of his wins weren't against cupcake opponents.

Above .500 at Rutgers. Few before him or since have come close to that. The ones that did either put the program on probation or were playing a schedule of Patriot League schools. 500 at RU is the equivalent to winning championships at other schools. He had no support, facilities, infrastructure to sell to recruits and still found a way to win more than half his games. He is a phenomenal coach and I hope he comes to UT and gets a chance to prove you wrong. If not, I truly believe he will go elsewhere and prove you wrong. No animosity or hate, I just want to state my case for a coach that I thing is going to win big at his next stop. Good luck to the Vols

No pedophile enablers and DCs who can't hold an Iowa team under 55 points... u know the exact same offense that could mange 66 yards of total offense 7 days later...

Hell even Butch beat this guy... if this is the best we can do just bring back Butch

No pedophile enablers and DCs who can't hold an Iowa team under 55 points... u know the exact same offense that could mange 66 yards of total offense 7 days later...

You know this for a fact how?

Ohio state vetted him before they hired him as DC

Oregon & USC wanted him as their HC and vetted him.

So multi-million dollar university's have vetted him and are good with his accounts. But you have some information that these university's don't have????

Please share and inform us all.

And Tennessee would hire him as the HC

Not for DC

Do I need to explain the difference between being an assistant coach vs the head coach

The whole team played bad that day..... I guess Urban Meyer sucks then because of 1 game?

You know this for a fact how?

Ohio state vetted him before they hired him as DC

Oregon & USC wanted him as their HC and vetted him.

So multi-million dollar university's have vetted him and are good with his accounts. But you have some information that these university's don't have????

Please share and inform us all.

And Tennessee would hire him as the HC

Not for DC

Do I need to explain the difference between being an assistant coach vs the head coach

The whole team played bad that day..... I guess Urban Meyer sucks then because of 1 game?

Urban is an offense HC . He leaves the D to the D.C. ... but schiano said his DL at ohio st was " better than any he ever had in the NFL". If an Iowa O that could only put up 66 TOTAL yards 7 days after that puts up 55 o Schiano s D wow , what would he do w far less talent ?

Just saw that from 1981-2008, Miss State had 1 nine win season.

With a win tonight, Mullen would have his 4th nine win season in 9 years.

Horrible coach in my opinion.

Obviously he’s not horrible, but it’s ridiculous to bring that stat up and not mention how we play more games than we used to.

Obviously he’s not horrible, but it’s ridiculous to bring that stat up and not mention how we play more games than we used to.

Since 81, there have been an average of 11-12 regular season games. That’s no more games than we used to. At best it’s one more game.

Lol. Come on man. There is no way you can consider Mullen a horrible coach. Maybe you can say mediocre but he's the best coach in State's history.

VN Store

Back