Danny Sheridan

Finebaum said later in the broadcast to a caller that TN would have to beat teams by close to 30 leading up to the Bama game, Even if that happened he'd be shocked if we were favored against Bama.

Thats assuming both teams are undefeated heading into the game.

If Bama has an L and we're undefeated, we would be favored.

May not be a popular sentiment on this board but to think Butch Jones' seat will be hot for not winning the east is really just ignoring the awesome job he has done to this point. If we lose to ALA then either UGA or UF it will be an uphill climb. But that doesn't mean 10-2 translates to coaching search. I highly doubt the program wants to go through that again. Disappointed to not win the east, yes. Fire CBJ, doubt it. We finally have talent to compete in this league - Thanks to CBJ - but that in no way means win the league or pack your bags.

Reactions: 7 people
I agree and they have to go to Arky the week before they come to Knoxville. They have had a tough time beating Arky last 2 years. Bodes well for us.

Tenn:

Florida, at Georgia, at Texas A&M, 7th game in a row, No bye week this year. Bodes well for the deepest, most talented team.

Tenn:

Florida, at Georgia, at Texas A&M, 7th game in a row, No bye week this year. Bodes well for the deepest, most talented team.

Better pack a lunch. This team won't lay down, and they know that they gave you guys all you wanted and then some last year at your house. No head games with Bama like there is with florida.

Vols by 6 in ktown. Edge of your seat thriller on national TV.

Reactions: 1 person
If Georgia wins the east with a new coach...

Butchs seat will warm up real fast if we lose to GA with their first year HC like we did with the gators last season. If we dont win the east this season, IMO a ten win season is the only thing that will keep Butchs seat cool for now.

IMHO, back in the day (early '90's), CNN college preview show with Paul Crane and Danny Sheridan was just as good as College GameDay on ESPN. I remember flipping channels so I could watch both of them. I always thought the mini football helmet lineup was a cool way of showing some of the days big match-ups.

What will beating a subpar Florida team on September 24th make you believe?

That it will further cement this team's belief in itself. I really believe that the psychology of a W vs UF is huge for both the Vols and the fan base. Then we all can enjoy the ride on the runaway locomotive.

Reactions: 2 people
On finebaum ranked the SEC teams.
1. LSU
1A. Tennessee
3. Bammer

For those who don't know Danny he is a pretty big player in the Vegas sports betting world and also does usa today sports.

One thing is for sure, he really pissed off the bama and uga fans.

I get the Bama fans having their jimmies rustled.

But UGA fans can screw off. They're garbage, their program is garbage, and their head coach hasn't done anything outside of Saban's shadow and with Bama talent.

Last edited:
Yeah, according to Ainge we will find out what kind of coach Smart is. He's not gonna have the same talent that he had at Bama.

If anybody other than us....a.k.a. UT wins the East, it will be catastrophic failure on our part. And one impt reminder......last yr we faced AL coming off our bye week, while they were playing their seventh straight game before their own bye week. This yr, the roles going into that game are the exact reverse. They will be fresh off their break.....we'll be playing our seventh straight. We have to play our depth and stay healthy.
GBO!

Maybe that means the results will be reversed as well. If we can get past them on the TSIO and meet them again in the Atlanta, then they will have faced a tough end of season schedule and we would have just finished our cakewalk.

The comments on finebaums tweet about this are priceless, especially all the dawg fans saying we are overrated and such. If I wasn't mistaken, hasn't UGA been favored to win the east the past 3 years and hasn't done it once??

What do you mean "might be better than them having an off week"?

I wrote it wrong, I meant than UT having an off (bye) week (in 2015)...but it needs some clarification.

In 2015 Bama played TA&M the week before and UT had a bye week. This year Bama plays Arkansas and instead of a bye week, UT plays TA&M.

While some lament not having the bye week, what I meant was that considering how tough Arkansas has played Bama lately, plus they are what I would consider to be a much more physical team than TA&M, the additional "wear & tear" on Bama from playing Arky (instead of TA&M) the week before might be more beneficial for UT than the rest / recovery that UT got last year during the bye week vs having to play TA&M this year. Of course, if A&M surprises (me) and gives UT a hard game then that eliminates any possible benefit.

In other words, which scenario is more favorable for UT...would you rather (A) Bama plays TA&M and UT has a bye week as in 2015, or (B) Bama plays Arkansas and UT plays TA&M, as scheduled for 2016. I was simply suggesting that perhaps the schedule this year, even without the bye week, might actually favor UT more.

Does that make any sense?

That it will further cement this team's belief in itself. I really believe that the psychology of a W vs UF is huge for both the Vols and the fan base. Then we all can enjoy the ride on the runaway locomotive.

I really think it only applies to fans like you that can't get over the 90s.

Most of our players are 20-21 years old, played less than 3 years in college, and not from the state of Tennessee.

To them Florida kicking Tennessee's butt the last decade is no different than any other good team ( i.e. Alabama and Georgia). They came here to change the program. Beating Alabama is going to be the win that puts them over the top. Not Florida.

I really think it only applies to fans like you that can't get over the 90s.

Most of our players are 20-21 years old, played less than 3 years in college, and not from the state of Tennessee.

To them Florida kicking Tennessee's butt the last decade is no different than any other good team ( i.e. Alabama and Georgia). They came here to change the program. Beating Alabama is going to be the win that puts them over the top. Not Florida.

I agree with some of this but don't think that UT players don't have the losing streak in mind. Not only are they aware of the rivalry and streak but none of them have beaten UF either. Some have been around 3 or 4 years and walked out with an L every time. And, last year is fresh in their minds as well. They will come ready to play for all of those reasons but you can't ignore the fact that beating them will be psychologically beneficial.

I agree with some of this but don't think that UT players don't have the losing streak in mind. Not only are they aware of the rivalry and streak but none of them have beaten UF either. Some have been around 3 or 4 years and walked out with an L every time. And, last year is fresh in their minds as well. They will come ready to play for all of those reasons but you can't ignore the fact that beating them will be psychologically beneficial.

Winning every game is psychologically beneficial. I coulda said the same thing about Georgia last year.

My post was simply to counter the argument that Florida was somehow special.

Georgia, Alabama, Florida. All those games are equally important. Only reason Florida is more important this year is because it comes first.

Winning every game is psychologically beneficial. I coulda said the same thing about Georgia last year.

My post was simply to counter the argument that Florida was somehow special.

Georgia, Alabama, Florida. All those games are equally important. Only reason Florida is more important this year is because it comes first.

Beating UF has more of a psychological impact than beating UK, Vandy, MIZZOU, and UGA for that matter. Its really not even a topic for debate IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
If u don't think beating Florida is a big deal then u must of been under a rock for the last 11 years . No matter how much better we were then Florida we have found a way to lose to them . IT STOPS NOW !!!!!!

VN Store

Back