Defense of Georgia bringing the blitz package for this game

Kentucky did the opposite. They dropped 7 or 8 into coverage pretty much every time. They pretty much dared us to run the ball, and we did. Blitzing allows 1 on 1 matchups on the outside for Tillman and Hyatt, which doesn't sound ideal. Also could lead to getting gashed from the QB run if you don't keep your gap assignment. We had that happen to us versus Ole Miss last year. Blitzing works against inferior offensive lines like LSU, Kentucky, and Pitt. Did not work when we tried it against Alabama, though we did get good pressure, they just made several incredible plays.

This is guaranteed. The best way to shut us down is to have Hooker on his back. They will likely be successful for the most part. We shut down AL's defense so our O line is capable of stuffing them, but I think GA is a step above AL on D. It is going to be a gory game. No one with a heart condition should watch this one......

I don’t see how they’re better.

They have some of the lowest TFLs, Sacks in the league. They have about as many turnovers as Bama. They are a bit sloppy sometimes on offense as well.

The best way to slow us down is to be able to stop the run and get pressure with 4 on the dline. That is easy to say, but you have to be littered with talent, Georgia probably has the best shot, but i still think we drop 35+ on them

Reactions: tennesseecoyote
I’ve been doing some research in the past two days on how the defense of Georgia might come after us. It looks and sounds like they’re going to put in more blitz packages to come after Hooker. Something that we’ve haven’t seen much in games thus far.
So, I was wondering if our coaches will put new wrinkles in to counter those blitzes? I believe everyone is saying they will try to collapse the pocket to throw Hooker’s timing off.
I believe we can throw out to the flat, roll him out a little bit, and kill them on quick slants.
Anyone else hearing this?
I agree. Another question is how will our Defense attack Ga's?

I’ve been doing some research in the past two days on how the defense of Georgia might come after us. It looks and sounds like they’re going to put in more blitz packages to come after Hooker. Something that we’ve haven’t seen much in games thus far.
So, I was wondering if our coaches will put new wrinkles in to counter those blitzes? I believe everyone is saying they will try to collapse the pocket to throw Hooker’s timing off.
I believe we can throw out to the flat, roll him out a little bit, and kill them on quick slants.
It's a path to success. Look at what they did early on with Anthony Richardson. They were on him relentlessly and it had an impact. Even we know that we have to get to a qb or pay a price. It's a key to our success. I have no doubt UGA will want to punish Hooker early and often just like I have no doubt that every team we play would want to do that. The question is can they and how many guys do they have to bring in order to get him? I'm certain our staff will dissect the UF game and see what UGA did and where they might be able to take advantage of it. Now if UGA can get thru protection with their front 4 only, UT will have a long, hard day ahead. I'm also certain UGA will not feel the need to put a LB on Hyatt. They'll either have a talented safety who can cover him or they likely will put an extra corner on the field for the game and play press/man to man. They've likely got the roster to do it. It will be an ultimate chess match between Heupel and Smart. Bama was good, but UGA is better especially on both LOS IMO. We'll have to play a near perfect game and hope we can capitalize on some UGA miscues. Any chance we could sneak up on the dawgs went out the door when we beat Bama. I live in dawg land, and believe me, they're lazer focused on this game. We'll get their best effort to be sure. Gonna be a helluva lot of fun....or at least I hope it's fun for Vol nation.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I've seen teams try to blitz UT. The OL has been very good in picking them up.

Some problems for that strategy:

One, blitzes are often personnel specific. UT doesn't allow subs when running tempo.

Two, blitzes are dependent on correct alignment. Tempo makes that far more difficult.

Three, blitzes are usually the product of down and distance and have a relatively long decision process for the playcaller and those giving advice. Tempo means that it has to be one guy making that call with a snap judgment.

Four, installing anything that your players can't execute second nature in the week prior to playing this O is a very, very bad idea.

My initial reaction to this notion is... OUTSTANDING. UT's O doesn't need the help but if UGA is determined to help by confusing themselves... I'm all for it.

What Heupel can do is something already ingrained in this O... run FAST. Give them no time to sub. Give them no time to get aligned. Give them no time to read keys or formations. Give them no time to even breath between plays.

that is exactly what these 2 GA homers broke down film and said. They said the best defense against us was Pitt and they blitzed constantly which is something Bama and LSU did not do. Kinda long video but not totally uninteresting

Saw this yesterday and what they forgot to note is that in season timeframe Pitt was forever ago. Hendon held on a bit to long looking for Tillman but all that has changed and evolved as the season has progressed. He’s no longer solely hunting one target and has faith in the other receivers now.

They really missed on how our whole offense has gelled throughout the season and how we can use our run game to change up game pace incredibly well as demonstrated with that 13 runs in 15 plays scoring drive against the kittens.

that is exactly what these 2 GA homers broke down film and said. They said the best defense against us was Pitt and they blitzed constantly which is something Bama and LSU did not do. Kinda long video but not totally uninteresting
The problem is that UT would absolutely smoke Pitt for doing that now. Other teams have tried to blitz UT. The OL has picked it up and Hooker has made them pay.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Well. They’re dead last in the SEC in sacks. Good luck

Reactions: CSVol and bka414
They have to blitz if they want to get to Hooker. They're dead last in the conference in sacks. Front four not getting there. Look at who they've played and they still can't get the quarterback on the ground. WGWTA!

The problem is that UT would absolutely smoke Pitt for doing that now. Other teams have tried to blitz UT. The OL has picked it up and Hooker has made them pay.
Yup TN OL has really got it's stuff together...
If GA tries to blitz earlier and often and don't get home Hooker is going to make them pay and then that's when GA goes into uh oh panic mode because what they thought would work didn't.

I just want Hooker to throw the ball away if nothing is there or take off and get what little you can

This might be their best chance to stop our offense but we have options to counter blitzes including quick slants and running the ball.

We are averaging ~180-200 yards rushing a game.

If they blitz, expect Small and Wright to get yardage.

I like UT's WRs against UGA's DBs if they blitz. UT will have the favorable numbers on the outside.

Side note, something we have not seen this season is the screen game from UT. Wonder if CJH is saving it for UGA?

Splits will make them declare if it's blitz pre-snap so no disguises, Tempo will prevent them from being too exotic, use some 5 WR sets, throw to RB out of backfield, have to be able to run the ball and set up play action. As long as OL plays like they have and Hooker/WRs makes the reads like they have we'll be fine.

Reactions: CSVol
This brings up a question I have been pondering. I don’t recall seeing a RB screen all year. Is this just something that Huepel doesn’t care for? Doesn’t fit in his philosophy?

Great question. It can be a highly effective play on 3rd and 6-8 yards when they bring the house. I don’t know what Heupel’s thinking on that is but I wonder if he’s saving it for a specific situation. We know the backs can catch.

Reactions: allvol123
This is guaranteed. The best way to shut us down is to have Hooker on his back. They will likely be successful for the most part. We shut down AL's defense so our O line is capable of stuffing them, but I think GA is a step above AL on D. It is going to be a gory game. No one with a heart condition should watch this one......

I don't think GAs D line and backers are better than Bamas. Doubt they can get there if Bama couldn't. And if the backers blitz they're vulnerable to the slants and underneath routes, which, if I'm them, I would force us to take instead of our deep throws. The more plays we take to score, the more times they can get a hit on Hendon.

VN Store

Back