DG's Revised Giant List of Coaching Candidates (2nd Edition)

Great post, OP! This is the kind of thread that makes this site worth coming to. Agree or disagree, we should all give a like for the thought and effort that went into this.

We are a broken fan base right now and we need some occasional sense and reason to keep from spiraling out of control completely.

Sadly, it's too late for some here. Best to just ignore them.

Reactions: 2 people
I find it sad how much more competent Memphis's AD has been than Tennessee's

He’s single handedly built Memphis Football, he came from like San Jose I believe.. if Currie doesn’t get it right at Tennessee, Tennessee should give a look at him seriously..

If we are going to go the Coordinator route, I really like Venables

Agree, but do agree w/ OP, that in our best interest to go with low risk/high reward candidates. Mindblowing to me if we can't get high tier guy (I think Currie will). Relatively deep pockets, tradition, passionate fan base, top notch facilities... as Spears said on Sat, a top 5 job...if not top 5, certainly top 10. To me, coordinator is too slow of a build.
Need someone to step in with a reputation, who will lock down this class and build. We don't want anyone who's scared of expectations.

Reactions: 1 person
As far as I'm concerned, the only home run higher coach out there in the nation right now is Chris Petersen. That's not to say he's actually willing to take the position or even entertain the position, but I have no doubt in my mind one hundred percent solid that if he were hired at University of Tennessee that within three seasons we would be National Championship contenders, not just SEC East contenders.

Somebody please explain why any of these current HC would make a sideways move to Tennessee? Please save your "top 5 job" comments. Every school thinks they are a top 5 job and we are top 15 at best right now.

You are going to leave a successful program and come to this dumpster fire for a few extra bucks?

Some of you need a dose of reality...

Somebody please explain why any of these current HC would make a sideways move to Tennessee? Please save your "top 5 job" comments. Every school thinks they are a top 5 job and we are top 15 at best right now.

You are going to leave a successful program and come to this dumpster fire for a few extra bucks?

Some of you need a dose of reality...

Because Smokey is the coolest mascot in the country.

I don’t get the love for Scott Frost if defenses have figured out Chip Kelly.

Either you’d want both of them

Or

You’d want neither of them because defenses have supposedly figured them out

Why do people say Fuente built Memphis for Norvell? Fuente’s recruiting classes were: #10, #11, #7, and #4 in the AAC. He also had Paxton Lynch which played a huge role in his success at Memphis.

There are plenty of arguments against Norvell, but saying Fuente built his team doesn’t add up.

that goes to show that Fuente is able to build up the 2,3,4 star recruits, now imagine him coming to UT and getting the 4,5 star recruits every year...

nice read DG...:thud:...ijk...:)...coulda saved ya some time because it'll probably come down to Norvell or Pruitt...:)

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My list:

#1 Chris Petersen Children getting older so NWest may not be so important
#2 Justin Fuente Took Memphis to new heights. Took a 4 or 5 win VT to Div champ
in one year
#3 Scott Frost Great mentor coaches. Has been DC, OC, and Head Coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do people say Fuente built Memphis for Norvell? Fuente’s recruiting classes were: #10, #11, #7, and #4 in the AAC. He also had Paxton Lynch which played a huge role in his success at Memphis.

There are plenty of arguments against Norvell, but saying Fuente built his team doesn’t add up.

Being from Memphganistan I have watched the Tigers a lot this year: good offense bad defense. Someone has done a good job coaching QB and receivers, BUT I would like to see what he does after all Fuente's players are all gone and see what kind of recruiter he is

:loco:

This all day I don’t understand why peeps keep saying this, like some other posters have pointed out, I live in Memphis and know what’s going on there, it’s Mike Norvell program not Fuente, Norvell has had Ferguson, recruited most the players esp the offense with the RB’s and WR’s and recruited well.. it’s like the excuse of VN.. it’s Fuente players which is untrue

IF you are making a case for Norvell I’ll referred you to the UCF game this year....TOTAL DISASTER...and really it’s the only team they’ve faced....

I don’t get the love for Scott Frost if defenses have figured out Chip Kelly. Either you’d want both of them or You’d want neither of them because defenses have supposedly figured them out

Or Option #3: you believe that there are differences between the two aside from offensive scheme. Scott Frost's turnaround job at UCF is one of the more impressive things I've seen in college football this decade and Frost understands both offense and defense. I'd also take Frost's understanding of offense over Kelly's.

To be sure, Kelly deserves a lot of credit for changing the college game, but there are dozens of copycats out there now and defenses have adjusted. In the "what have you done lately?" category, I saw Kelly get destroyed by NFL defenses that figured out his offense to the point that there were calling out plays before they happened --- and I have Scott Frost who continues to innovate and adapt. I also just think Frost has a fuller knowledge of offensive strategy than Kelly. The dude has seen it all from option to pro style to HUNH spread. I think his knowledge of the game is among the best and I trust Frost to adapt much more than I do Chip Kelly, who I think may be more like RichRod.

Then there's simply the matter that Kelly has a more abrasive personality and hates recruiting. That's not really going to work out well in Knoxville. May work out in Gainesville a bit better as you all have better "natural recruiting turf", but I suspect he's best suited for the UCLA job, where he can pretty much sit on his butt, and LA recruits will fall into his lap.

Mind you, I'm not saying Chip Kelly can't succeed a second time around. I'm saying that (a) it's going to be more difficult this time and (b) he's much higher risk than Scott Frost [and likely comes with higher salary demands as well].

1. Justin Fuente. Long shot IMO. Gary Patterson protégé. I'd consider Fuente's turnaround job at Memphis to be one of the 5 most impressive jobs of this century. He turned a historically terrible Memphis program into a legit top 25 team. Turned VT around in 1 year and has been impressive in Year #2. One of the best offensive minds in the country. Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s leaving VT. Fuente took the VT job because of his strong relationship with AD Whit Babcock. He has a top 5 Defensive Coordinator in Bud Foster, who is probably staying until retirement. Expectations are lower. Path to conference title and playoff much easier in ACC than in the SEC. Already makes $3.2 million; while we could outbid VT, I suspect it’s more likely that he’d get a nice raise and stay at VT. Still, if I’m John Currie, I make the call, even if I’m likely to get rejected.

jack-nicholson-nodding-anger-management-58866723bf8ebe6718576b2a-g.gif

I love the tier one list. I'd have Kelly in there personally. I'd knock Venerables back to tier two; I love him as a candidate but I don't consider him in that category. I'd have Campbell ahead of him in tier two. Just my personal two cent but I love your lists and rationale for why they would be a good/great hire.

lmao did you really put Peyton Manning on the list???

and Fuente #1???

that's hot garbage...

Ill just copy my post for a week or so ago. Also, there are home run hires. Dont be silly.

"The only homerun hires I see are Gruden, Kelly and Patterson - not very realistic. Peterson's buyout is insane so we know that's not going to happen but he would be a home-run. I won't even consider Chryst, Gundy, Franklin etc because they won't be leaving.

High ceiling hires would be Frost (a real football coach), Campbell (BUY HIM OUT!), & Venables (love his energy).

Guys who we pretty much know what we're getting, but would still be serviceable hires for the short-term (in the same sense that Butch was); Mullen, Holgorsen, Leach, Miles & Petrino.

High risk hires: Brohm, Morris, Norvell, Doeren, & Pruitt/Daboll.

Cheap high risk, high reward hire: N. Brown

Guys who on the rise but UTAD would never consider: Candle & F. Wilson.

Plus plenty of other candidates who won't be leaving their school (this year) like Fuente, Whittingham, etc.

Hires that would be on par with Butch: Fleck, Durkin, Fedora, R. Carey, R. Rodriguez, MacIntyre & Satterfield.

Down-right insane hires that might make me consider stop watching TN football while they're still the head coach: Lane Kiffin, Brady Hoke & Mike Bobo."

I think a little of Chip Kelly goes a long way - one eccentric weird dude. Kiffin was passed over by every AD but one last year and is at the level with his temperament and baggage he needs to be at.

Neal Brown is a reach hire that may be worth considering. How he beat LSU this year is hard to figure. He sure has upgraded Troy significantly and played a great game vs. Clemson last year. Troy vs. Clemson - Game Summary - September 10, 2016 - ESPN

The guy from Penn State looks like a Big 10 type guy to me - not having the needed charisma of an SEC coach.

Mullen has to be at the top of the list - Norvell worth a look and Campbell for sure if someone can foot the heavy buyout. Mullen needs to make his move now - if he waits he may be stuck in Starkville indefinitely.

Fuente is Tier One for sure but he will not foul the nest of VA Tech who gave him his big opportunity.

You accidentally ranked Venables higher than Campbell. Obvious mistake. Don't worry! Happens to the best of us.

lmao did you really put Peyton Manning on the list???

and Fuente #1???

that's hot garbage...

Ill just copy my post for a week or so ago. Also, there are home run hires. Dont be silly.

"The only homerun hires I see are Gruden, Kelly and Patterson - not very realistic. Peterson's buyout is insane so we know that's not going to happen but he would be a home-run. I won't even consider Chryst, Gundy, Franklin etc because they won't be leaving.

High ceiling hires would be Frost (a real football coach), Campbell (BUY HIM OUT!), & Venables (love his energy).

Guys who we pretty much know what we're getting, but would still be serviceable hires for the short-term (in the same sense that Butch was); Mullen, Holgorsen, Leach, Miles & Petrino.

High risk hires: Brohm, Morris, Norvell, Doeren, & Pruitt/Daboll.

Cheap high risk, high reward hire: N. Brown

Guys who on the rise but UTAD would never consider: Candle & F. Wilson.

Plus plenty of other candidates who won't be leaving their school (this year) like Fuente, Whittingham, etc.

Hires that would be on par with Butch: Fleck, Durkin, Fedora, R. Carey, R. Rodriguez, MacIntyre & Satterfield.

Down-right insane hires that might make me consider stop watching TN football while they're still the head coach: Lane Kiffin, Brady Hoke & Mike Bobo."

There is zero way Gruden is a homerun hire. He's one of the highest risk hires on anyone's list and he would cost the most as well. He has no experience at the college level with running a program like Tennessee. Saban and Meyer were homerun hires BC they had built national title winners at the college level in previous stops. Gruden is a risk like Harbaigh but with several years away from coaching. I would support him but I don't see the cost justifying him. Hell if you're going to throw 8 or 9 million at someone make some elite college coaches say no first.

Where is Will Muschamp on this list? He is undefeated in Neyland stadium. Clearly he is the only logical choice.

VN Store

Back