Dilione to the portal

Very high probability it’s Wake.
Evidently, his high school coach is now at Louisville with Kelsey, so TrillyDonovan said they are possibly the team to beat. Forbes gives his guards a lot of freedom, and probably would be a good fit. Wish the kid the best of luck moving forward, for whatever reason it just didn't click for him here.

Evidently, his high school coach is now at Louisville with Kelsey, so TrillyDonovan said they are possibly the team to beat. Forbes gives his guards a lot of freedom, and probably would be a good fit. Wish the kid the best of luck moving forward, for whatever reason it just didn't click for him here.
Agree. Hope he does well.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Here’s Basilio’s blog today on Dilione:

Flameout is a pretty strong term here but Freddie Dilione just didn't have the game to play long term at Tennessee. This year it was a messy combination of injuries, academic stuff and lack of defensive acuity that kept him off the floor. I'm being told that Tennessee isn't running anybody off this roster per se but that doesn't mean there won't be portal exits. Dilione has already entered but would be welcomed back if he chose that route. If I'm an oddsmaker I'd install the portal #'s at 1.5 transfers from this roster. It would be a major upset if this roster comes back intact. It won't. Freddie D is going to make a really nice college basketball player. It won't be here. I'd watch Wake Forest, NC State and Virginia among others.
He made the o/u 1.5 but says that it would be a major upset if the roster comes back intact? Does he not know what intact means or does he not know how oddsmaking works?

And don't forget BJ Edwards and BHH.
Oh I won’t forget about them. I’m always joking about the Edwards love by some on here from last year. You still have at least 1 guy still calling in local radio saying he wouldn’t helped this season.

BHH is different imo. He was good enough. That wasn’t the problem with him.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Understandable but unfortunate. I expect Dilione will grow into a good college player. All the speculation about him possibly being a one and done raised expectations, especially entering school early. Given he couldn't crack the rotation when other guards struggled throughout the year, the writing was on the wall for him to hit the portal. At this point the portal is becoming equally as important as recruiting high school players. Wherever he lands I hope he sticks. These guys who transfer multiple times aren't going to have an institution that supports them if they don't pan out and earning a living playing basketball isn't an option when their eligibility expires.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Wish nothing but the best for him, it just wasn't a good fit.

He reminded me of BJ Edwards. Looked lost at times and kinda slow

I think Freddie will have a good college career still. Just not at UT.

I'm with you on speed/foot quickness, but I can't say he's smaller, though not sure what you're comparing him to to say that. He's 6-5 playing either guard position. And his jumping ability shouldn't really be questioned after the block he made late in the season when he went way up to wide a basket away.

Might be the way he carries himself but looks closer to 6'2 than he does 6'5.

I had forgotten about the block but you have a good point on the hops he showed on that play. Strange that he looked like he could barely dunk in the the small amount of transition offense he was involved in. I had high hopes that he would come in and be the slashing perimeter player and shot maker we needed who was not an elite athlete but was crafty.

Maybe the foot was the initial setback but he just didn't show much on the court when given the opportunity....and I don't see Barnes and staff playing him if not healthy enough to do what was expected. Seemed disinterested at times in limited game action. He should not have looked so lost with how early he got here if he was fully committed to the coaching staff's expectations.

Reactions: StoneokeyVol
I hate to lose him. Was looking forward to watching him play next year. He’ll probably do well somewhere with lighter expectations on defense.

Guess I should have said promising prospects. Thought he was a 5 star, but was wrong about that. Same deal though. We get excited when they commit and then we don't get to see them play meaningful minutes before they end up transferring. Was bummed that a guy like B.J. Edwards didn't get an opportunity last year once Z went down to play some and then maybe be in a position to help us by the time the tournament started. Feel like some of these guys need some actual meaningful game minutes to properly develop. I like Rick and feel like the portal is the future with him, just wish we had more home run freshmen like some of the other schools that are able to contribute meaningful minutes.
Really?

Barnes has not had "home run" freshman? Like Springer, Chandler, Johnson and Phillips?

Also... you're talking like Edwards was the one that got away. He quadrupled his minutes at SMU and averaged 3.7 ppg on a mid-tier AAC team. Is that the lost production you're crying about?

VN Store

Back