Disgusting scenes from the student section

Nothing Butch says or any official at UT says would change how the students behave. They get boozed up before and during the game and it inevitably happens. Its disgraceful, but its predicable. Not much that can be done about it.

First let me start off by saying that I am a student. Not sure if anyone noticed or saw, but towards the very end of the game last night many, many bottles and other objects were thrown onto the field towards the Missouri bench. It was pretty ugly. A couple players were hit, including one with a half full bottle of water, which exploded on impact. This caused the Missouri bench to turn and begin to mock our students, which they had every right to do. A just punishment imo would be if every imbecile who threw something had to line up at midfield and received a punch to the face from the Missouri player who was hit, number 56 I believe. The student section has been a disaster all year. From all of the "F you *Insert team*" at the end of every loss to the countless drunk-beyond-ability-to-function kids falling over themselves as they "cheer" on their Vols. These actions need addressing and not just via a email from Jimmy Cheek which everyone will just mark as read and move on. I truly believe Butch needs to address the student body in its entirety on these matters.

Welcome to SEC football. As others have said, it's not excusing it, but no one outside of Vandy is a choir boy crowd. Throwing bottles is a little much, but the language and standing all game is part of it. This isn't church.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
From the Neyland Game day website.
In the spirit of sportsmanship, fans shall:

Conduct themselves in a manner that represents UT, the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA with honor, dignity and respect.
Demonstrate qualities of civility and sportsmanship at all times.
Not use vulgar, abusive, racist, sexist, demeaning, or intimidating language at any time.
Support the players, coaches and officials in a positive manner.
Treat the visiting team, coaches and fans with courtesy and respect at all times.
Not engage in cheers that are vulgar, crass or demeaning.
Refrain from throwing objects onto the floor for any reason.
Not become inebriated or belligerent.
Refrain from entering playing and team areas at any time, including the game.
Be a positive role model for those around you by treating others with courtesy and respect!

Reactions: 2 people
I saw 3 glass mini bottles whiz over my head in Sec D. They barely missed people on the field. I was embarrassed and hope one day those drunken idiots get a glass bottle shattered on their skull. What goes around, comes around. I suggest planting plain clothes officers in the student section to babysit.

Reactions: 3 people
I spent 4 wonderful years there. I never threw anything, but i did see some possible projectiles back in my time there. Nothing really new,cept maybe more use of cell phones....

Inexcusable that anyone would throw the first bottle.
Height of stupidity for Missouri to mock and berate the student section and not expect more idiots to throw more stuff.
Yelling at them to 'bring it on' and for those '**** you, you ******* *******' (by a member of the staff, no less) only exacerbated the situation.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be a vol. Along with the Florida chants, that's twice this year.

Have you been to games anywhere besides Neyland. We don't have a monopoly on cussing. Hell, Rammer Jammer has a cuss word in it, as does Hotty Toddy. Guess they're not as insulting or as "bad" of a cuss word as the chant?

First let me start off by saying that I am a student. Not sure if anyone noticed or saw, but towards the very end of the game last night many, many bottles and other objects were thrown onto the field towards the Missouri bench. It was pretty ugly. A couple players were hit, including one with a half full bottle of water, which exploded on impact. This caused the Missouri bench to turn and begin to mock our students, which they had every right to do. A just punishment imo would be if every imbecile who threw something had to line up at midfield and received a punch to the face from the Missouri player who was hit, number 56 I believe. The student section has been a disaster all year. From all of the "F you *Insert team*" at the end of every loss to the countless drunk-beyond-ability-to-function kids falling over themselves as they "cheer" on their Vols. These actions need addressing and not just via a email from Jimmy Cheek which everyone will just mark as read and move on. I truly believe Butch needs to address the student body in its entirety on these matters.

It's the alcohol, if the little babies can't handle their beer then they don't need to drink.

Reactions: 3 people
I sat in Z13 and definitely saw bottles being thrown from the student section. There is absolutely no place for this. I'm fine with yelling, being passionate, mocking them, but when you start throwing objects that is going too far.

Remember that it isn't always just football players in pads standing on the sidelines. There are also trainers (male and female), photographers, sometimes kids. Throwing a half empty water bottle from any distance can be very painful and I personally think there is no place for it. Anyone who feels justified in doing so is just a complete idiot and moron.

Reactions: 5 people
This is nothing new. And I'm not saying that is an excuse, but it is the norm.

That is exactly what is wrong...it's the norm. So now classless and cheap thuggery is the standard for UT. We can have a new NCAA rule, instead of the 'Florida Rule' it can be named the 'Tennessee Rule'.

Anyone complaining about the student section needs a reality check. You ***** about us not showing up. You ***** when we don't cheer loud enough. You ***** when we don't care. We finally care and now, you're *****ing. Get out of here man. At least we cheer, unlike a large chunk of other vol fans. And trust me, I've sat just about everywhere in that stadium to know.

Keep the hope...in a few decades you may reach adulthood. In the meantime try to stop embarrassing our university and state.

Reactions: 5 people
Nothing is going to change our culture. We drink beer not wine coolers. Keep your throwing arm strong to throw those bottles for years to come. Go Vols

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Don't even talk about our student section either. Anyone who was at the USC game celebrating after we won can tell you that multiple glass beer bottles flew down and shattered near us. Go ahead and tell me how plastic Dasani bottles can injure someone again.

VN Store

Back