Do you agree with this?

No, not really. When he was AD at USC, he was not competing at the SEC level. even though he boasted out be a National Champion The jump yo the SEC is much greater that the jump from UFC. I think he thinks he has selected the best coach available to get the Lady Vols back to National prominence. I also agree he did what he set out to do.

I think DW favors candidates that are successful but not yet known because of where they are at. It’s cheaper and riskier. Let’s face it, had he hired Hammon, there would have been a lot of risk also. The established college coaches aren’t moving these days. The money is too good.

I think DW favors candidates that are successful but not yet known because of where they are at. It’s cheaper and riskier. Let’s face it, had he hired Hammon, there would have been a lot of risk also. The established college coaches aren’t moving these days. The money is too good.

Yes, very little movement in WBB coaching at the top. In my 30 years as a fan now I can only remember a handful of top coaches moving to different schools.

C. Vivian Stringer (Iowa -> Rutgers 1995)
Vic Schaefer (MSST -> Texas 2020)
Kim Mulkey (Baylor -> LSU 2021)
Gary Blair (Arkansas -> A&M 2003)
Gail Goestenkors (Duke -> Texas 2007) thx @Putbacks

Really the only names in the women’s side I can come up with who left a job after having built significant success at a school. Who am I missing? That’s 5 in 29 years 3 of whom were essentially “going home” to coach.

Last edited:
Yes, very little movement in WBB coaching at the top. In my 30 years as a fan now I can only remember a handful of top coaches moving to different schools.

Really the only names in the women’s side I can come up with who left a job after having built significant success at a school. Who am I missing? That’s 5 in 29 years 3 of whom were essentially “going home” to coach.
C. Viv actually made 2 “big” moves in her career, leaving Cheney St. (yeah, I know) in 1983 to take the Iowa job after playing La. Tech (while at Cheney) for the very first NCAA Championship in 1982. (It was big news at the time.)

I don’t think he sees another person in her, but I’m guessing he definitely sees some similarities between the two.

Lots of bombs = lots of 3s

Up tempo play limiting substitutions of team = High number of simultaneous
substitutions.

Lots of rushing packages = Full Court Press

Both rotate a lot of players, believe in aggressive play, and demand a hard nosed defense.

Both bring a scheme and style to their sport that has proven to be effective against lower divisions, both showed success at mid majors, and have yet to prove they can produce SEC and national championship with their approach to their respective sports.

I like them both and hope they both are able to accomplish these goals and prove their style is indeed the direction everyone else is headed 😋

He wants champions and fun, innovative offense… He would have taken Dawn Staley if available but is typically not interested in coaches that have proven themselves to be 2nd tier… The only way that he would choose a next level coach if he feels that coach is just lacking the support to put them over the top.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

Staley left temple for SC,

McCallie left Michigan st for Duke.

Staley left temple for SC,

McCallie left Michigan st for Duke.

I could see adding McCallie there having taken Michigan State to the championship game once while there.

Staley became successful at South Carolina. She did well in the A-10 but her teams were average on a national scale. She was by all accounts considered an excellent hire and an up and comer in coaching, but she had not yet done anything special she was leaving behind.

Only Mulkey and Blair won National Championships, but Mulkey did at both schools.

Jim Foster took Vandy and Ohio State to Finals.

A completely silly take. Heupel had many years of major-college experience--as a player, and as a coach at Arizona, Utah State, Oklahoma (multiple years, co-offensive coordinator), Missouri (OC), Central Florida. Caldwell has zero major experience of any kind--and only 1 year of low mid-major experience. Heupel was not a reach, but Caldwell is. I'm also not going to jump on the Heupel/offensive guru or White/AD wizard bandwagons. I'm going to wait to see how the Vols fare over the next few years before coming to any sort of judgment about both. I follow the soccer program--and White seems to have botched that hire--and Caldwell is a major roll of the dice. I'm not knocking Caldwell--just stating the facts of her background. I hope she succeeds.

VN Store

Back