Do you trust Heupel ?

Yes I trust him he’s going to have to take a long look in mirror and make staff changes this offseason though for sure. I know some you like banks but he’s a safeties coach and DC did anyone see safety improvement? I did not put defense improved but not because of him RG has helped because of defense line improvement not banks. Banks and Martinez I respect for taking a difficult job when we hired them but time to move on with someone who can actually improve the whole defense.

That ain't exactly giving him a ringing endorsement, bud. Comparing him to Dooley, Butch, & Cornbread isn't exactly a high standard to meet. And, yes, I'm excluding Lane bc Lane has proven to be a significantly better coach than Heupel at this point.
Based on what? The only thing Lane has on Heupel is experience. I’d take Heupel over Kiffin.

Reactions: Volnanza
The really good coaches dont:

1. Regress from the previous season.
2. The good coached teams beat the bad teams that they are favored to beat (Florida).
3. They have their teams ready and motivated to play on the road.
4. Good coached teams don't show quit or repeatedly get blowned out.
5. Good coached teams hire the best assistant coaches, because he can't wear all the hats.
6. Has the best players ready to play and on the field and is only loyal to the best players.
7. Good coached teams realize recruiting is a big part of college football success. (5 star hearts ain't gonna cut it)

Heupel has underachieved in all these areas this year. So moving forward, I have lost a lot of trust in him.
This is so dumb. I’m not even going to address your weird wording as you switched delivery after number 1. Then you switch again starting at number 5. You’re all over the place. All coaches violate your “rules” 1-5 at some point. All coaches do 6-7 and you have zero proof that Heupel hasn’t always done 6 and 7.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Trust. Yes. Weakened this year, yes. Benefit of the doubt with Joe's lack of play making ability against stronger opponents, an OC that doesn't appear as good, poor wr room without Bru, shallow depth at LB especially after Kee went down. He needs to upgrade at DB coach, this guy is ok at best, we can do better, we said that last time he was here. Unsure about TE coach, don't know if it's him, the players, or the above issues with the offense. Need another year to determine.

Nick is a play maker, that will help immensely. Joe is better 15 to 20 years ago when the offensive style was different. He's just not gonna be what's needed with today's game. I had hoped he would turn it loose, he has the talent to be explosive, but he just doesn't have that killer keep it alive instinct.

Next year will determine Huepels destiny. If the offense doesn't get a steady heartbeat and we start being competitive in our games from beginning to end. Then the long run will continue to flounder as recruits start to look elsewhere and that reduction in talent will keep us where we currently are, 3 to 8 in the sec.

You can’t say this for certain though because we had a different QB, different WRs and a different OL. Those are pretty large variables outside of the Golesh departure. My guess is the personnel changes were more responsible for the offensive deterioration than Golesh leaving. Of course there’s no way to tell for sure. I’m just saying you can’t point to just Golesh leaving as why we took a step back. Too many other variables changed as well.
Oh, absolutely. The personnel changes were a big part of that too without a doubt. I don't think anybody truly realized how special Hooker was at QB and players like Hyatt and Tillman aren't a dime a dozen. My point was, in order to have continued long-term success in today's college landscape, I'm of the opinion that he has to be able to locate and recruit coaching talent just as much as playing talent. You can have the biggest, fastest, strongest thoroughbred in the stable, but if the jockey doesn't know how to ride, what's the point? God given talent can only take you so far. Having a coach that can teach you how to maximize those talents and leverage them to your advantage in any given situation is something that is lacking on this staff. You can't continue to recruit 3 star guys and then not have the coaches to continue to develop them into a group that can compete on Saturday. The talent gap was noticeable during the UGA game. We've been man handled for years now by superior talented players in the SEC.

Now, with all that being said, I'm just an armchair Monday morning QB. Those guys are getting paid millions of dollars for a reason and I'm definitely not saying that I could be doing it better, but it's noticeable when coaches like Saban, Smart, etc. reload their roster and staff year after year with hardly any drop off.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Why ask questions like this? The man has done an amazing job. His players must trust him & they know him personally.

How many here actually know Josh Heupel enough to respond intelligently?

Next year might get tough. The question is “are you tough enough to stay the course or will you panic at first sign of adversity?”
???

CJH isn't going anywhere anytime soon. A lot of people have quickly forgotten about the 3-7 train wreck that this program was just a few years ago. The way people talk on here you would think that this program had competed for conference and national championships every year of its existence. Meanwhile, we haven't won the East Division since 2007 and haven't won the SEC Championship since 1998. The kids on this roster weren't even born the last time Tennessee won anything even remotely close to important. Yes, UT is a storied program with a rich, long history. It's also a program with a storied, rich, long period of absolute mediocrity. Does CJH have some glaring issues he needs to fix? Yes. Heupel is going to have to figure out how to evaluate and recruit the best up and coming assistant coaches. To me, this is the largest difference in coaches like Saban, and others, who are consistently successful. Being able to fill the void with great coaching talent when a coach on your staff leaves is going to make or break his time in Knoxville. It was painfully obvious this year just how much Alex Golesh meant to the offense. If coaches like Martinez are the best option he has and he can't, or won't, upgrade position coaches, then prepare yourself for continued mediocrity.
Golesh was missed but if we still had hooker Hyatt and Tillman we would have been fine. The difference was personnel more than anything. Now when it comes to defense Martinez needs to go but we also got bit with the injury bug at crucial positions we couldn't afford.

Yes I trust him. I would like to avoid a coaching Carousel as well. Look at where that got us.

Teams having one or on the verge of having one are FL, Tx A&M, USCe, Arkansas, Miss St.

Coaching Changes in the future that could eventually lead to a Carousel:
Mississippi, Alabama (Retirement), Kentucky

Safe for the moment: GA, TN, Vanderbilt, MO, LSU, Auburn.

Anything can happen but at this moment this is the way I see it.

Fulmer got fired twice for making terrible hires.

There’s that.
The thing that got Fulmer fired was that he lost more support of the Big Donors that he had had.
The Big Donors made hires in the AD to undercut Fulmer and started directing the hires of OCs.
Fulmer had digressed but the donors used it for the moves they wanted and Fulmer held onto some assistant coaches that were not cutting it based on the talent at that time.

NO Doubts. It is just a matter of time to build a team. Some Coaches will have to be replaced along the way.

Oh, absolutely. The personnel changes were a big part of that too without a doubt. I don't think anybody truly realized how special Hooker was at QB and players like Hyatt and Tillman aren't a dime a dozen. My point was, in order to have continued long-term success in today's college landscape, I'm of the opinion that he has to be able to locate and recruit coaching talent just as much as playing talent. You can have the biggest, fastest, strongest thoroughbred in the stable, but if the jockey doesn't know how to ride, what's the point? God given talent can only take you so far. Having a coach that can teach you how to maximize those talents and leverage them to your advantage in any given situation is something that is lacking on this staff. You can't continue to recruit 3 star guys and then not have the coaches to continue to develop them into a group that can compete on Saturday. The talent gap was noticeable during the UGA game. We've been man handled for years now by superior talented players in the SEC.

Now, with all that being said, I'm just an armchair Monday morning QB. Those guys are getting paid millions of dollars for a reason and I'm definitely not saying that I could be doing it better, but it's noticeable when coaches like Saban, Smart, etc. reload their roster and staff year after year with hardly any drop off.
100% with you. Recruiting highly rated players is only part of the battle. You have to develop them if you want good results.

Golesh was missed but if we still had hooker Hyatt and Tillman we would have been fine. The difference was personnel more than anything. Now when it comes to defense Martinez needs to go but we also got bit with the injury bug at crucial positions we couldn't afford.
I agree with you. Those guys were special for sure, and the injuries didn't help us out at all. It just seemed like our offense was never in sync this year.

Yup. My only real concern is how flat we come out when on the road. Not sure how much of that is coaching vs on team leadership. But that is the next hurdle we have to overcome

You can’t say this for certain though because we had a different QB, different WRs and a different OL. Those are pretty large variables outside of the Golesh departure. My guess is the personnel changes were more responsible for the offensive deterioration than Golesh leaving. Of course there’s no way to tell for sure. I’m just saying you can’t point to just Golesh leaving as why we took a step back. Too many other variables changed as well.
Agreed. And if Nico truly is the ,QB as expected, that makes up for a lot.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Last year everyone said they trust coach, but this year they don't trust him with Nico. I still trust him, I think he did the right thing for the team, and the right thing for Nico.
Is anyone of the opinion that we will have a 1st round draft pick this year? How about three thrid rounders?

Folks shouldnt preach recruiting is important and then pretend it doesn't matter when it suits their agenda.

Reactions: perico

VN Store

Back