Don't care what you say, Vandy played incredible...

Inside 2 minutes of regulation Vandy students piled on top of each other courtside thinking they were going to rush the court. Poor misguided youth..
Someone please post a picture of this. I heard it talked about on Ainge this morning. Ainge said something about the salt of Vandy tears or something along those lines.

Vandy played like zombies going after everyone and TN played to survive the onslaught and live. Our mission was accomplished with the Beast, Grant Williams leading the way. Way to go Big Orange, number one in our hearts as well as the polls. Survive and advance.

Reactions: BreatheUT
They certainly haven't turned in a complete game on the defensive end for a few games, but give Vandy credit they shot the ball well. Haven't seen them shoot the 3-ball that well all year.

Tennessee has been running the same defense for several years. It’s pretty well suited to our players. The problem is, there is a ton of tape for good opposing coaches to look foe where we are weak. Bryce Drew and Avery Johnson essentially found the same weakness.

When you force us to make 1 switch with 5, and then don’t allow us to switch back (normally by isolating that side of the court) we are in by far our weakest set. You can’t expect our 1 to guard whatever big he just switched to, and Alexander is a step too slow to guard the 1 or 2. Basically you end up with either a quick look over the top to a big man being defended by a guard, or you end up with a shooter guarded by Alexander whose perimeter defense isn’t great. They either get another screen to open 3 or hit the pick and roll to open mid range.

Barnes adjusted in both games by moving our perimeter out, which gives us another half second for help to adjust to the ball as it comes inside. However what both Vandy and Bama did was then run the exact same offense again on our now collapsed defense. That resulted in essentially the same looks as there were in the first half, but they were late in the shot clock.

Basically, what we saw on both games were two very disciplined teams run an offensive set designed to exploit what is normally a very good defense. We’ve seen it in most games this year, but either the team didn’t have the talent or shooting to fully run it, or we played well enough on offense to stay ahead.

Last two games our offense has been the problem, the defense is working reasonably well. No defense in the world can do anything about bad or contested shots going in.

I would certainly defer to Barnes experience here, but I feel like if we would switch between zone and man a little more often, and run an easy 3/4 pressure it might keep opposing offenses out of rhythm since they are essentially running one play against our man defense. The zone/man switching will force them to play two very different offensive sets, and the 3/4 pressure will eat some shot clock.

Anyway...just my two cents.

Vandy played the best they have all year...They did beat a good Arizona St team at home so they are bad but not horrible...They were just pumped for this game...A win is a win if its by 1 point or 60 doesn't matter...A game like this will only make us better...We never quit and I love that about this team...But i'm not gonna lie this team is gonna be the death of me if they keep this up! lol

I don't like the program but I respect a performance like that out of college students. Their kids appear to be class acts as well.

I was on the road when it started but I was so nervous after the first 20 minutes that I stayed off the board the entire game.

With that said, unbelievable performance by Grant Williams. A Player of the Year separating performance.

GBO and way to show your mettle!
They did play well. Arguably the best they’ve played all year - or at least on par with their beatdown of Arizona St.

You hear a lot in college football how some teams want it more. I think Vandy played like a desperate team - to avoid starting 0-6 in the SEC against your in-state rival and the #1 team.

It's always fun to think what-if... but just imagine that team with Garland with half a season under his belt.... Vandy coulda been really good this year. They played past their abilities last night, but the well-coached, mentally tough players do that. Glad we have some on our side that can win playing their worst.

And why did they think we wanted to hear them talk baseball during live play?
Baseball - with a looooong segment of Cal & KY - a total distraction from one of the most intense gripping SEC games of the year.
What a couple of BOZO's
Here's a clue Dykes - Vol fans were the majority watching that game - talking Cal & KY will engender deep ANIMOSITY

Reactions: walkenvol
Tennessee has been running the same defense for several years. It’s pretty well suited to our players. The problem is, there is a ton of tape for good opposing coaches to look foe where we are weak. Bryce Drew and Avery Johnson essentially found the same weakness.

When you force us to make 1 switch with 5, and then don’t allow us to switch back (normally by isolating that side of the court) we are in by far our weakest set. You can’t expect our 1 to guard whatever big he just switched to, and Alexander is a step too slow to guard the 1 or 2. Basically you end up with either a quick look over the top to a big man being defended by a guard, or you end up with a shooter guarded by Alexander whose perimeter defense isn’t great. They either get another screen to open 3 or hit the pick and roll to open mid range.

Barnes adjusted in both games by moving our perimeter out, which gives us another half second for help to adjust to the ball as it comes inside. However what both Vandy and Bama did was then run the exact same offense again on our now collapsed defense. That resulted in essentially the same looks as there were in the first half, but they were late in the shot clock.

Basically, what we saw on both games were two very disciplined teams run an offensive set designed to exploit what is normally a very good defense. We’ve seen it in most games this year, but either the team didn’t have the talent or shooting to fully run it, or we played well enough on offense to stay ahead.

Last two games our offense has been the problem, the defense is working reasonably well. No defense in the world can do anything about bad or contested shots going in.

I would certainly defer to Barnes experience here, but I feel like if we would switch between zone and man a little more often, and run an easy 3/4 pressure it might keep opposing offenses out of rhythm since they are essentially running one play against our man defense. The zone/man switching will force them to play two very different offensive sets, and the 3/4 pressure will eat some shot clock.

Good post.I like a little 3/4 pressure to eat up clock also.Helps us break rythem and keeps the other team from having enough time to run this play.Great post.

They are a young and talented basketball team. It appears they have a good coach who can recruit and coach. Vandy will be a problem for the SEC the rest of the year. I am glad we get them at home for our second game with them.

I would like to see Vandy play like that the next game or two before I believe they are going to be a problem the rest of the year in the SEC. It could be that it was an anomaly at home.

I don't like the program but I respect a performance like that out of college students. Their kids appear to be class acts as well.

I was on the road when it started but I was so nervous after the first 20 minutes that I stayed off the board the entire game.

With that said, unbelievable performance by Grant Williams. A Player of the Year separating performance.

GBO and way to show your mettle!
Well I would say something, but you wouldn't care.

Speaking of Vandy, I am sure most everyone saw the graphic, only one, ONE senior. Not only that, they are TALL and quick. I think in the next couple of years we will see this team be a force to be reckoned with...

It's always fun to think what-if... but just imagine that team with Garland with half a season under his belt.... Vandy coulda been really good this year. They played past their abilities last night, but the well-coached, mentally tough players do that. Glad we have some on our side that can win playing their worst.
THE Big Orange also got a fortunate call on the four point play

Great post. Very educated and I was able to relate what you explained to what I watched but didn’t totally understand.

I know I kept thinking, how can they keep making these shots at the last second? Some were not good looks at all.

Great post. Very educated and I was able to relate what you explained to what I watched but didn’t totally understand.

I know I kept thinking, how can they keep making these shots at the last second? Some were not good looks at all.

They honestly shouldn't have been able to "keep making these shots at the last second." Barnes pushed the defense to 3/4 court late in the 2nd to eat a little clock and set a higher perimeter. It was the right move against their offense, you basically turn the clock into a 6th defender. However, even the crap shots Vandy threw up were going in. It's basketball, sometimes it goes that way. The other thing Vandy did was try to pass over the perimeter on the first switch, which was when you kept seeing Turner on someone 10 inches taller than him on the inside, and no one is going to win at that point, especially not with the perimeter pushed high. To stop that we really need a little better perimeter defense from the big men (deny the pass inside)....but that is asking a lot, basically NBA talent level. Barnes instead seemed to have the guys start running through the screen and not switch, which actually worked pretty well.

Vandy ran a well disciplined offense and shot 48% from 3 even though most were contested. If they shot 40%, which would still be 7 percentage points above their season average, we win by 10 in regulation. Add in the contested and just straight throw up 2s...they just had a great night. Tennessee shot 10 percentage point below their normal 3 percentage. They just had a bad night.

You look at consistent adapting on defense to defeat an offensive plan designed specifically for your defense, a great shooting night for your opponent, a terrible shooting night for you, and you still leave with a road win.....that's championship basketball. It would have been nice to win by 10+.....but this team faced a tough, determined, well coached team who played their best possible game, and turned east for Rocky Top with another SEC win. Honestly I have no idea how Vandy has lost all their SEC games, they are a good basketball team.

Speaking of Vandy, I am sure most everyone saw the graphic, only one, ONE senior. Not only that, they are TALL and quick. I think in the next couple of years we will see this team be a force to be reckoned with...
Oh Yeah, no doubt Drew continues to bring in 4 and 5 star recruits. Everybody better beat down Candy while they can, because the future looks bright for 'em

Vandy shot lights out at the end of the shot clock but it was maddening how we were getting broken down and leaving shooters.
Defending the high ball screen and that was the story on D.

Good news is, it's very fixable. It's not an ability or talent issue.

Thanks for your post. Its great to see people bringing some thought and basketball IQ to the board. For the last several years a lot of teams in the SEC and around the country have put teams on the court where everyone is 6'4" to 6'7" maybe a big at 6'8". Everyone is atheletic and can handle the ball. Except for Alexander, Tennessee is built a lot like that and when you are playing similar teams you can switch on every ball screen because if you are 6'3" - 6'5" and athletic you can match up with a 6'7" guy. Both Vanderbilt and Bama's bigs were much larger (6'10) than our 1 or 2 so it creates a much worse mismatch especially if they can get that matchup in the paint. Traditionally in man defense you don't switch 1 on 5 or 5 on 1, you play through the screen. As someone else posted, later in the game Tennesse quit switching and started going through the screen and it worked somewhat better and the Vols even picked up a couple or so off ball offensive fouls when the Vandy screeners tried to check the Vols on ball defender as he came by the screen. I get what people are saying about the defense looking worse the last 2 games but 23 for Bama and a couple of those Vandy kids just had career type nights shooting the basketball. They don't play like that all the time or Vandy and Bama would be in the top 25 if not the top 10. my 2 cents

VN Store

Back