Don't overreact or over analyze this loss

Then I'll agree on that. Maybe should have used it at some point, but for whatever reason it was determined that it wouldn't have necessarily helped. Maybe CRB was comfortable with the matchups that were on the floor or is more confident in his player's conditioning and ability to take instructions on the fly. Maybe he's using it as a teaching moment. He has his reasons and I know less than he does as far as what strategies are appropriate for the situations.

I've been paying attention after time outs have been burned to stop runs. I've not seen a lot of evidence that it works and it won't surprise me if it's been studied and the conclusion is that there is no correlation between stopping runs with time outs as opposed to playing through them. Using them in the 2nd half certainly gives up a little bit of an advantage as opposed to saving them.

Or maybe it was just a bad coaching move? :dunno:

Not everything needs an explanation. Coaches are fallible. Barnes isn't above reproach. He isn't perfect. Just a bad decision that maybe cost them the game. Maybe it didn't. Just no excuse to take a TO to the half when our guys were so tired and struggling, and we had three guys waiting at the table to check in.

I'm surprised no one is complaining about the officials in this game. Only 27 fouls called. they let them play for a change.

There was one other stoppage. Grant Williams foul at 9:47 mark. But still, one stop in play in 9 minutes is brutal.

Maybe more brutal for the fans than the players. Road game, tough opponent, the game didn't slip away. TN rarely has games out of reach anymore. It's maybe not happened since at Vandy a year or two ago. If it's not been that long, it's certainly now the exception. These Barnes coached teams never give up.

Maybe more brutal for the fans than the players. Road game, tough opponent, the game didn't slip away. TN rarely has games out of reach anymore. It's maybe not happened since at Vandy a year or two ago. If it's not been that long, it's certainly now the exception. These Barnes coached teams never give up.

9 straight minutes of play with only one 15-20 second stoppage is physically exhausting. Even for high level athletes.

And Valentine officiated. I was pleasantly surprised in the flow of the game from the officials.

Reactions: 1 person
Or maybe it was just a bad coaching move? :dunno:

Not everything needs an explanation. Coaches are fallible. Barnes isn't above reproach. He isn't perfect. Just a bad decision that maybe cost them the game. Maybe it didn't. Just no excuse to take a TO to the half when our guys were so tired and struggling, and we had three guys waiting at the table to check in.

Maybe so. But the chronic Barnes bashers fixate on every single aspect that didn't play out perfectly. He's doing a terrific job and several on here will never admit that.

Maybe so. But the chronic Barnes bashers fixate on every single aspect that didn't play out perfectly. He's doing a terrific job and several on here will never admit that.

I don't disagree. And I've been VERY supportive of Barnes, even after not being enthralled with the hire at the time. But, I'll still call an ace an ace when I see it.

I'm a Barnes supporter but you seem to think nobody can even remotely question anything that he does.

Goes both ways. Maybe Barnes was wanting to wear out Missouri's bigs or get them to pick up fouls.

Stop trying to rationalize it. Mizzou had no one in foul trouble at the time and they had all the momentum having erased an 8 point deficit. Call the dang TO.

I'm a Barnes supporter but you seem to think nobody can even remotely question anything that he does.

No, I'm not questioning the strategy with the use of time outs. My opinion is being challenged on certain points so I reply. If the chronic arguers didn't constantly go into attack mode you wouldn't have that impression.

I don't have a problem with every bad decision.

As Bowden goes, so go the Vols.
3 losses now when he hasn't showed up?

Yep. And I’m as big a fan of Bowden there is but he can’t be THE guy for this team. He’s not ready for that. Not sure he ever will be. We need a guard who can go and get 15 a night no matter who we play.

Reactions: 2 people
Stop trying to rationalize it. Mizzou had no one in foul trouble at the time and they had all the momentum having erased an 8 point deficit. Call the dang TO.

Barnes has his philosophy. Those are possible reasons for his strategy. TOs don't magically flip the momentum. TN played even through the first half as an underdog on the road.

I don't remember crowds being settled down after momentum killing time outs are called.

This. Every time I think Bone starts to " get it" , he has a game like he did last night. Therefore, he is not an elite PG and we will always be inconsistent based on Bones, as well as the other guards play. We need Simons so bad next year to make this an " elite" team.

Bone is half way through his 2nd year. He clearly has elite quickness and is playing markedly better than last year. No reason to think he can't continue to improve over the next 2 1/2 seasons. Admiral has certainly improved as has Alexander. What percentage of UT recruits over the past 30 years have played at an "elite" level as freshmen? Unrealistic to think UT will field a lineup of one and done types.

Last edited:
Barnes has his philosophy. Those are possible reasons for his strategy. TOs don't magically flip the momentum. TN played even through the first half as an underdog on the road.

I don't remember crowds being settled down after momentum killing time outs are called.

You just can't admit that he makes mistakes. Your infallible view of him is just as ridiculous as those who think every decision he makes is a fireable offense.

No, TOs don't magically flip momentum. But they do allow your guys to physically rest and substitutions to be made. That isn't debatable. And sometimes they do shift (or at least slow down) momentum the same way a technical foul does.

You just can't admit that he makes mistakes. Your infallible view of him is just as ridiculous as those who think every decision he makes is a fireable offense.

No, TOs don't magically flip momentum. But they do allow your guys to physically rest and substitutions to be made. That isn't debatable. And sometimes they do shift (or at least slow down) momentum the same way a technical foul does.

It's not a mistake. It's a philosophy and EVERY TIME the opponent goes on a run certain posters start advocating that a TO will cure it. I don't counter every time that happens. My opinion is that it's not a flawed philosophy being used. For that I get attacked.

It's not a mistake. It's a philosophy and EVERY TIME the opponent goes on a run certain posters start advocating that a TO will cure it. I don't counter every time that happens. My opinion is that it's not a flawed philosophy being used. For that I get attacked.

There is no excuse to take a TO into the half in the situation we were in. End of story.

Not saying you're wrong, but Barnes is responsible for the poor planning and lack of adjustments that led to those players going 2-20.

How the h--l can a coach, any coach, adjust for 2 main cogs out of five missing 18 shots out of 20??? All he can do is try to have the rest overcome the bad night.
S--t happens now and then in any kind of game that the coach cannot overcome. Face it, they just had a bad night on the road. On the positive side the team as a whole played pretty go defense against a good offense team. Nearly won despite a "bad night" on the court.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee's guard play is OVC level and is not getting any better with this group of guards. Evenso, the 3 SEC games the Vols have lost were because the other teams were just mentally tougher than the Vols.

This team will stay around the .500 mark in conference play and end up around 10-8 or 8-10. As usual, they will lose the first game they play in the SEC tournament, hope for an 10-12 seed in the tournament and then either lose the first game in NCAA or NIT regardless of who they play. Because that's what teams do that wilt in the closing minutes against mentally tough teams, especially when you throw in the atrocious guard play that they normally get.

But, on the bright side, this will still be one of the best seasons in several years for the Vols.

VN Store

Back