Dormady montage: all 10 throws + QB Challenge

Gonna be just fine at QB this year. I like how he put the ball on the receiver... accurate throws.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think skill wise there is a nickels difference between them. They both have live arms and are accurate. JG haa better wheels but I think QD isn't much behind him and is probably a tad more accurate. The difference your seeing is time spent in the system and learning the playbook. I think QD has a better overall grasp of it and the game moves slower for him.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think skill wise there is a nickels difference between them. They both have live arms and are accurate. JG haa better wheels but I think QD isn't much behind him and is probably a tad more accurate. The difference your seeing is time spent in the system and learning the playbook. I think QD has a better overall grasp of it and the game moves slower for him.

Yes, also a little more mature and less cocky. JG is not afraid to talk himself up and also the little spin he did in one of the skills drill (although it was just to be funny) caused him to not hit the target.

Does it bother you so much that people find encouragement after watching the spring game?

Should it bother others that you find ways to be discouraged from that same game?

I think, more than anything is not having the look of dysfunction. Agreed, spring game...can't tell much, except that QD seems comfortable in pocket and has some skills passing. Quite frankly, when's the last time we had two guys like this battling it out for QB? Not sure I know the answer to that one...

He's our starting QB.

JG made some bad decisions and throws...in a scrimmage

I thought both guys played really well. Not sure of what bad throws or decisions you're referring to from JG. It's hard to beat 10/10, but he was 4/5 and looked to have a really strong arm. Would have liked to see what he could do in the run game, but I understand the need to keep the QBs healthy in a meaningless game.

I thought both guys played really well. Not sure of what bad throws or decisions you're referring to from JG. It's hard to beat 10/10, but he was 4/5 and looked to have a really strong arm. Would have liked to see what he could do in the run game, but I understand the need to keep the QBs healthy in a meaningless game.

First play he runs from scrimmage, he should keep it.

Seems like Dobbs wouldn't keep it the 1st few possessions.

Set the record straight early that he will keep it and run.

Dormy needs to keep going 10/10 each half.

We got this.

Go Vols!

i think tooooooooo many of yall want to see JG start... seems like some are pulling for him due to his speed and running ability.. i for one want the one who i think can win to play.... and right now even tho i assumed JG was the guy i am 100% on QD starting from what i saw when it comes down to making the right decisions... that guy read everything right and didnt force anything, right now and until i see otherwise(or read) he is QB1 in Kville

You don't need to run if you read the defense, make your decision, and get the ball out in under 3 seconds. His recognition and quick release can make an average O-line look stellar.

Mostly agree with this. An accurate QB will keep the D backfield a lot more honest, which will open up room for the run game, which will add balance. However, until proven otherwise, I think a QB in this system needs wheels because of a bad blocking scheme that paves driveways for defensive ends to storm the pocket.

Mostly agree with this. An accurate QB will keep the D backfield a lot more honest, which will open up room for the run game, which will add balance. However, until proven otherwise, I think a QB in this system needs wheels because of a bad blocking scheme that paves driveways for defensive ends to storm the pocket.
He has wheels...And size. Ran the same 40 as Dobbs coming out of HS. Watch his high school HUDL film....plenty mobile.

I really hope JG stays if he doesn't win the QB battle. The two hand touch rule really didn't do him any favors. There were several times he would have broke away and got some decent yards.

DormDaMandy was slinging the rock though and looked calm and poised.

Anyone notice the difference in formation? A lot more use of a tightend or wing back. Less using the te as a fb. A lot of that is probably because Dormandy isn't a running qb, but a lot of it is probably Canales influence as well.

I know Guarantano didn't look like Dormady,but I think if Butch rolls with Dormady,it may cost him his job by midseason.Especially if we start slow with that brutal schedule.Last year,going undefeated early and the AD change,saved his job.

He wasn't getting fired if the ad had stayed and there's no reason to believe results will be better with Guarantano.

Given Dormady's experience and the toughness of the early schedule, it's probably a good move.

I really hope JG stays if he doesn't win the QB battle. The two hand touch rule really didn't do him any favors. There were several times he would have broke away and got some decent yards.

He's two years behind, right? That should help prevent a transfer.

It was a scrimmage, so some of the talent was divided up between the two teams.

Dline was also without its best players and we know they have more depth issues than our oline, so dividing the talent hurts them more than our offense.

Encouraging performance from Dormady. Showed pretty much exactly what you'd wanna see from a QB on the plays he was given.

Still, IMO, not enough to make a true decision off of yet though. But it seems like he's getting there.

Sheriron Jones is the fastest qb on the team. JG isn't a slow poke by any means, but he's honestly not much faster than Dormady. I'd actually like to see a race between the two with pads on.

Sheriron Jones is the fastest qb on the team. JG isn't a slow poke by any means, but he's honestly not much faster than Dormady. I'd actually like to see a race between the two with pads on.

I'm in the camp that would rather our QBs never have to win a foot race at all. Know what I mean? :)

What do you base this on?

What do you base this on?

My eyeballs. The point is in my opinion that the game speed difference between Dormady and JG is minimal. I feel like there's this assumed narrative that JG is a dynamic runner when need be and Dormady is a slow, stationary target. I think in reality Dormady is much faster than given credit for and JG is slower than given credit for when the two are compared. I also believe a healthy Jones can outrun them both.

I agree 100%, but that opinion isn't popular with some posters.

I agree that the touch rule probably negated some positive run plays by JG. With that said, isn't a pass play supposed to be a pass?. My point is that QD manged the timing and read progressions in a much faster pace and made the correct throws. Therefore not needing to run after the LOS broke down.

Last edited:
10 throws. None into traffic.

He's clearly got touch, but it just seems amazing because Dobbs struggles with that for 3 years.

Let's all pump the brakes. Even if Dormady is a more polished passer, JG has got a chance due to his dual threat ability. Unless Butch is out to prove his ingenious system doesn't need a dual threat QB like he did with Worley.

VN Store

Back