Dormady montage: all 10 throws + QB Challenge

10 throws. None into traffic.

He's clearly got touch, but it just seems amazing because Dobbs struggles with that for 3 years.

Let's all pump the brakes. Even if Dormady is a more polished passer, JG has got a chance due to his dual threat ability. Unless Butch is out to prove his ingenious system doesn't need a dual threat QB like he did with Worley.

Jones Offense does NOT work without the threat of the qb running to keep the defense honest. Think back to that Oklahoma game in Norman, Worley had multiple chances to tuck and run for 15+ yds and even had a walk in td but never kept it. We need a qb that is mobile enough to evade defenders, how often on 3rd and 5 were they comfortable enough to know Josh could qb keep from the shotgun and get the 1st down. This isnt an opinion on who the better mobile qb is, but it is a fact this offense is designed to have a qb get outside the tackle box.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones Offense does NOT work without the threat of the qb running to keep the defense honest. Think back to that Oklahoma game in Norman, Worley had multiple chances to tuck and run for 15+ yds and even had a walk in td but never kept it. We need a qb that is mobile enough to evade defenders, how often on 3rd and 5 were they comfortable enough to know Josh could qb keep from the shotgun and get the 1st down. This isnt an opinion on who the better mobile qb is, but it is a fact this offense is designed to have a qb get outside the tackle box.

"Jones offense" isn't unique; in fact, some flavor of the same is included in probably around half the Power 5 offenses out there.

And plenty of them work without a true dual-threat QB. Heck, didn't Butch himself have a pocket passing QB (and a prolific one, at that) running "his offense" at Cincinnati? Seems I remember that.

"Jones offense" isn't unique; in fact, some flavor of the same is included in probably around half the Power 5 offenses out there.

And plenty of them work without a true dual-threat QB. Heck, didn't Butch himself have a pocket passing QB (and a prolific one, at that) running "his offense" at Cincinnati? Seems I remember that.

They don't have to be a true dual threat qb. I stated as many have on here you need to have a qb mobile enough to keep the defense honest, they don't have to rush for 100 yds a game (maybe 4/5 runs for 60 yds).

If you are running any type of zone scheme that is sideline to sideline the flow of the defense allows the qb to keep the ball and take off if they over pursue. If they don't fear the qb ability to do that they will overflow the zone and it makes it pretty difficult for a smaller rb to make plays. i personally believe Dormady or JG can both get it done

They don't have to be a true dual threat qb. I stated as many have on here you need to have a qb mobile enough to keep the defense honest, they don't have to rush for 100 yds a game (maybe 4/5 runs for 60 yds).

If you are running any type of zone scheme that is sideline to sideline the flow of the defense allows the qb to keep the ball and take off if they over pursue. If they don't fear the qb ability to do that they will overflow the zone and it makes it pretty difficult for a smaller rb to make plays. i personally believe Dormady or JG can both get it done

Agreed. Think both are more than capable of fitting well into a spread/zone read offense.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd bet half of Dobbs runs wasn't by design but due to poor Oline play.

That sounds about right for 2015. Seemed like he was having to tuck and scramble all the time.

2016 was different. Much more of the time it was clearly a called QB keeper. We didn't talk about it much, but the OLine was significantly improved over the year prior.

He's said multiple times that he taylors his offense to fit his personnel. He can tweek the offense to make Dormady successful.

He's said multiple times that he taylors his offense to fit his personnel. He can tweek the offense to make Dormady successful.

He didn't do that for Kamara who was the best offensive player besides Dobbs! Kamara should hzve broken records here. Butch needs to prove it first!!!:)

He didn't do that for Kamara who was the best offensive player besides Dobbs! Kamara should hzve broken records here. Butch needs to prove it first!!!:)

He didn't run Kamara and Kelly differently than Hurd?

Hurd was 400 yards from a "broken record" himself. Pretty significant one. :wink2:

He didn't run Kamara and Kelly differently than Hurd?

Hurd was 400 yards from a "broken record" himself. Pretty significant one. :wink2:

I am saying he didn't put Kamara in a position to contribute to the offense thet best way he could....Kamara was way underutilized!!!

Everyone knows that I believe that JG will win the job and Dormady will transfer, I have never claimed that Dormady couldn't run the offense, just that I believed that JG would run it better. I am prepared to eat crow if Dormady wins the job and keeps it all year! I really doesn't matter who the QB is as long as we can win the games and be productive in my eyes!!!

I do beleive that Dormady has a good arm and I think his decisions have improved since we last saw him throw.

I just hope that we didn't just see what they wanted us to see, JG only got to throw half as many times as Dormady. But I am convinced that whoever wins the starting job, we will be in good hands and be able to compete. I just think that we will probably see a lot of both QBs until Florida, and let's hope neither has the game at Florida like poor Peterman had a few years back.

It is a spring game, so I am not too excited about either QB, I will wait and see when someone can actually hit them. I think that both can shine when the lights are on, let's just see who shines brighter!!! Go Vols!!!

I am saying he didn't put Kamara in a position to contribute to the offense thet best way he could....Kamara was way underutilized!!!

That has nothing to do with SCHEME tho. That's playing time.

Everyone knows that I believe that JG will win the job and Dormady will transfer, I have never claimed that Dormady couldn't run the offense, just that I believed that JG would run it better. I am prepared to eat crow if Dormady wins the job and keeps it all year! I really doesn't matter who the QB is as long as we can win the games and be productive in my eyes!!!

I do beleive that Dormady has a good arm and I think his decisions have improved since we last saw him throw.

I just hope that we didn't just see what they wanted us to see, JG only got to throw half as many times as Dormady. But I am convinced that whoever wins the starting job, we will be in good hands and be able to compete. I just think that we will probably see a lot of both QBs until Florida, and let's hope neither has the game at Florida like poor Peterman had a few years back.

It is a spring game, so I am not too excited about either QB, I will wait and see when someone can actually hit them. I think that both can shine when the lights are on, let's just see who shines brighter!!! Go Vols!!!

Must be chewing your nails a lil. Very possible that "Dormady WILL never take a meaningful snap for the Vols". :lol:

Reactions: 3 people
Must be chewing your nails a lil. Very possible that "Dormady WILL never take a meaningful snap for the Vols". :lol:

He will take a few meaningful snaps the real question is will he sustain the position or end up beat out.

I would hate for him to be replaced half way through the season essentially make it hard for him to transfer and actually play a full year.

If he loses the Starting job after the first few games he won't be in a good position. I just hope that whoever starts and wins ther job leads us to victories and gets us over the hump we need to compete for the SEC!

Go Vols!!!:)

After watching highlights of both QD and JG, I think QD has the lead at this point. I thought I was watching young Dobbs when I was watching JG. He holds onto the ball a little too long and is not as accurate as QD. Not saying he won't be incredible one day. Just not today. QD definitely shows poise and wow, those throws are fast and accurate. I know it's just the spring game, and things change. And I wish the best for both. We really won't be able to tell until live fire, this August. But I would give QD the nod at this point.

What's funny is the past two years this sub has been totally against Dormady, or should I say at least not even open to hearing anyone say hes more mobile than given credit for. But makes sense, it was blasphemy to hint that Dobbs wasn't a God around here.

Dormady will probably be our starter and well deserved..JG will be a great backup....I seriously doubt JG will transfer, He appears to be a team guy and his family is friends with Jones so I think he sticks it out and waits his turn..Got to admit it's nice having a problem like this...We are set at QB for a long time and finally got some good depth there.

Man, John R Lansford, your goalposts are just as mobile as that orange tackling dummy they used in the O&W game QB challenge. :)

I am simply saying that the competition will go into the the first few games, and no one knows who will end up being the starter full time until then.

I still believe that JG will end up as the starter, if not I am prepared to eat Crow. I really don't care who starts as long as we win, which I have said numerous times. :)

Defenses are gonna love that clap to take the snap! He's giving them a 1+ second read ahead on the ball snap timing! He's gonna get creamed doing that!

VN Store

Back