Doug Matthews show today

This is what I posted earlier this morning, has a little more detail into his "ideas" and "thinking"

Coach Doug Matthews throws out names he would call

Stoops who he said would say no but you call
Jimbo Fisher to see if he is happy and saban guy
Doug Marrone physical teams
Gary Patterson physical teams knows defense
David Cutcliffe
Will Muschamp because hes a saban guy, plays physical defense and learned from fl mistakes

Two assistants if it fails that far
Pruitt at Alabama defensive guy that knows our three big rivals very well
Kevin steele has coached under 5 national champions

Things he would look for in a coach
Physical, power 5 head coach, from the prominant coaching tree (saban), defensive background, knows the sec

Reactions: 1 person
I’d prefer Frost over Fisher

I agree with that. From the names in this thread, I think a young coach who has completely flipped a winless team into an undefeated team might be a chance worth taking. Yeah, he's an AAC HC. But he has the 15th ranked team in the country. Much better than a LaTech or Cincy hire.

Forgot Patterson. With his success at TCU and foundation in defense, he deserves serious consideration himself.

Personally, I would add Kiffin but I understand that many would be repulsed by his name. I get it.

Last edited:
HELL NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO TO MUSCHAMP! HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL NO! NO!

and NO to Kevin Steele......

Doug Mathews is the most informed in media and is usually right well before something happens....

If this is the list, which he isn't grabbing out of thin air...likely hearing some of this from Fulmer....then THIS IS FREAKING DEPRESSING. VERY DEPRESSING

Dude, calm down

Top Coaching Candidates not named Gruden.

1. Jumbo Fisher
2. Gary Patterson
3. Scott Frost
4. Dan Mullen
5. Charlie Strong
6. Mike Norvell

Really hoping we have/are going hard after Patterson. I would imagine that JC was a part of the interview process the last time (2008) and is telling him that Hammy screwed up and you were my choice all along.... I have no inside information but I wouldn't be surprised if he's been working Patterson's agent this whole time (this is about the most sure thing I think we could get).

Reactions: 2 people
I find it odd that people are putting Dan Mullen so far low on their lists. I don't understand why Stoops would retire from a job where he was "set" in every sense of the word just to come back to rebuild another program. Surely Fisher isn't going to have an emotional reaction to this year and leave FSU to start his work all over again at TN. Patterson may still hold hard feelings the last time he interviewed and didn't get the job. If Gruden wants to come back to coaching, then it'll be at the end of the year when he returns to the Bucs after Dirk is fired.

First off Gruden was not mentioned
Secondly he continues to lobby heavily for independent informed judgments by John Currie in making the hire
Timetable that we are telling recruits is around December 10
He would make Bob stoops and Jimbo Fisher say no. Then his list becomes Gary Patterson Doug marrone. Coach cut. Will muschamp And rather than reach for a coach outside of a power five he would look for an assistant that knows the league and is defense minded like Jeremy Pruitt orKevin Steele.

What a joke.
Listened to his show all season and he was wrong about 90% of the time. What has he been out of coaching 20 years? Suprised he didn't have Fulmer top on his list.:banghead2:

First off Gruden was not mentioned
Secondly he continues to lobby heavily for independent informed judgments by John Currie in making the hire
Timetable that we are telling recruits is around December 10
He would make Bob stoops and Jimbo Fisher say no. Then his list becomes Gary Patterson Doug marrone. Coach cut. Will muschamp And rather than reach for a coach outside of a power five he would look for an assistant that knows the league and is defense minded like Jeremy Pruitt orKevin Steele.

Timetable is around December 10. Looks like we are waiting for a coach to finish their conference championship game. Coaches on that list off the top of my head are Frost, Petersen, Patterson, Norvell, Jeremy Pruitt, Venerables, and Greg Schiano.

I've been against Gruden from the beginning, but I also think there might be an assistant out there who just needs to be given a chance because they've been waiting on a hc.

I almost don't want a hc because I don't think any have really stood out with the exception of coaches like Mullen because he keeps winning with short straws.

If Tennessee can't get any of the big names, they might as well go full heel and bring in Kiffin.

It would at least be interesting.

This could get very ugly for us. I'm tired of being Nega on our coaches.

Reactions: 3 people
I bet Matthews had an ulterior motive such as firing up his listeners or getting Currie to deny that the list is accurate and perhaps get them to accidently fess up some names in consideration or elimination.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back