Doug Matthews show today

The problem with Doug Matthews is he is not as conected as he once was and ALL of his opinions, and he makes a point to say they are just HIS opinion, are aways so conservitive it is pathetic. I also remember before the season started he said our O-Line would be the strong point and Jones was doing an excellent job with the new hires. He should go back to talking to Phil about the games and selling Fork Lifts. That's his wheel house, not hiring the coach that will get us out of the dumpster fire we have been in for the last 15 years. Some of his insiders are the same ones that got us here in the first place. In true Matthews form "That is just my opinion".

he is an azz hat and i don't want him but hard to argue with the job he is doing @ SC. I am actually impressed

Muschamp is an underated, old time, hard nose football coach and the Vols can certainaly do worse than Muschamp.......and probably will:banghead2:

Reactions: 2 people
First off Gruden was not mentioned
Secondly he continues to lobby heavily for independent informed judgments by John Currie in making the hire
Timetable that we are telling recruits is around December 10
He would make Bob stoops and Jimbo Fisher say no. Then his list becomes Gary Patterson Doug marrone. Coach cut. Will muschamp And rather than reach for a coach outside of a power five he would look for an assistant that knows the league and is defense minded like Jeremy Pruitt orKevin Steele.

Wasting time with Bob Stoops. He is retired. What part of that does anyone not understand. Jimbo Fisher, Chip Kelly or Patterson would be a statement with a splash. The other names are scrubs and if we want to go cheap hire the assistant coach of Emory & Henry. Dilly, Dilly...

Wasting time with Bob Stoops. He is retired. What part of that does anyone not understand. Jimbo Fisher, Chip Kelly or Patterson would be a statement with a splash. The other names are scrubs and if we want to go cheap hire the assistant coach of Emory & Henry. Dilly, Dilly...

Meyer was retired when he left Florida too.

If that is truly the list , we need to go get Kiffin asap ...

Wow some people here are just delusional. If you think Patterson and Stoops are not good coaches, then your thinking is completely irrational to begin with.

And lets come back to reality... even getting either of those 2 here is a long shot... Some people think Tennessee is the dream job of every coach out there. Painful to say, but it is not. Most don't even consider it top 10.

Rationality is your friend.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Mathews seems like a very nice man and well intentioned. I listen to him from time to time.

However, I'm not sure he really has the current pulse of the program or how well connected he is, information wise, other than maybe an occasional nugget from CPF.

If we cant Get Gruden, Pay Patterson whatever it takes to get him to Knoxville and we will compete for championships.

If we cant Get Gruden, Pay Patterson whatever it takes to get him to Knoxville and we will compete for championships.

Patterson would win here, but I will be stunned if he leaves the state of Texas. Most likely landing spot for him, were he to leave, is A&M. On top of being able to stay in state, we cannot match checkbooks with them.

I hope that Doug Matthews is poorly informed.

Matthews didn't claim inside info, the names he mentioned were the ones HE WOULD HIRE. He likes to go back to a coach's TREE. Explained it in detail of other successful coaches. That is why he gave the list, it was the coaches that each coached with or for.

The problem with Doug Matthews is he is not as conected as he once was and ALL of his opinions, and he makes a point to say they are just HIS opinion, are aways so conservitive it is pathetic. I also remember before the season started he said our O-Line would be the strong point and Jones was doing an excellent job with the new hires. He should go back to talking to Phil about the games and selling Fork Lifts. That's his wheel house, not hiring the coach that will get us out of the dumpster fire we have been in for the last 15 years. Some of his insiders are the same ones that got us here in the first place. In true Matthews form "That is just my opinion".

Doug Matthews is best friends with Fulmer, Fulmer works for Tn, I’d say Matthews is pretty well connected with the program. Now he could be helping with a smokescreen through his radio shows (one is coach to coach with Fulmer) if Tn is trying to hire Gruden and keep people off base but he def knows what is going on through Phil.

Patterson would win here, but I will be stunned if he leaves the state of Texas. Most likely landing spot for him, were he to leave, is A&M. On top of being able to stay in state, we cannot match checkbooks with them.

So we are supp offering Gruden 10 mill a year but can’t match checkbooks? I believe that is false and Tn is one of the top 5 revenue universities in the country, they can match checkbooks with anyone if they want to.

Still think it’s Franklin. SEC experience and fits the Dec 10 timeline

Franklin is not gonna leave his dream job where he has it easier to come to Tn. That would have been like trying to hire Kiffin away from USC if he had been at Vandy instead of UT.

- Bob Stoops retired for a reason.

- Fisher? Really? Low character.......good grief. There’s a reason why

- Mathews was fired at Tennessee. He coached one more year at his alma mater, then never coached again....ever wondered why? Have you also wondered why Mathews sells himself as a Tennessee guy, but he went to school at Vandy?

- Steele. Played LB for UT when I was in school. Was key recruiter for Chuck Webb. Would never pass the good guy test.

- Muschamp? So Mathews likes recycling the garbage.
SO very uninformed. Doug Mathews forgot more about football than you will ever know.

So we are supp offering Gruden 10 mill a year but can’t match checkbooks? I believe that is false and Tn is one of the top 5 revenue universities in the country, they can match checkbooks with anyone if they want to.

UT doesn’t want to get in a bidding war with TCU, that’s a battle the Horned Frogs would win. Now, non-monetary benefits of UT are things TCU perhaps can’t match, although that’s arguable given TCU’s local recruiting base and his history with the program.

SO very uninformed. Doug Mathews forgot more about football than you will ever know.

I’ve known Doug Mathews for over 35 years. How well do you know him? He grabs most of his info off the Internet these days. Two thirds of what’s he speculates on is wrong. I bet you still think Gruden is coming.

UT doesn’t want to get in a bidding war with TCU, that’s a battle the Horned Frogs would win. Now, non-monetary benefits of UT are things TCU perhaps can’t match, although that’s arguable given TCU’s local recruiting base and his history with the program.

Tennessee athletics generates $127 million annually. TCU generates $52 million. I think we'd be fine in a bidding war.

VN Store

Back