ESPN rates each TN game by chance to win:

No love for the Vols from ESPN. KY is a laugh at 48%. That is the safest bet in college football. We own them. KY moves to 100% when you factor in the historical record.
We play Ky much earlier this year. They will not be as beat up and ready to be done for the year.
Stoops has done a great job at a basketball school.
We won last year with them not having a QB.
At the end of the game, After we were called for too many men on the field (AFTER a time out mind you) the defense came through with a huge stop.
It was hardly a dominating victory.
But it was a win.

I remember when ESPN thought "we were back" in 2016, and then Botch Jones screwed that all up. I will wait for actual game results this year.

3 wins according to ESPN. Look i am hoping for 6-4. Let's keep this in mind if TN ends up at 5-5. Don't want to hear that the coaches have to go, when we have a 5 win season given these ESPN predictions. When you play 5 teams ranked in the top 15, and then have 2 more toss up games (UK and USC jr) 5-5 is a good season.
It is predicting 3.8 wins. Do the math. Much closer to 4-6.

Do you see 10 straight 51%-49% games and conclude a prediction of 10 wins?

Last edited:
And we're favored by field goal to beat the cocks...
Certainly trust Vegas over FPI. I don't believe FPI accounts for much, it is very static and simplistic.

It has historically overshot us by over 2 wins/year. Now I believe it is overshooting us on the downside.

In reality: (Chance for UT to win)

SC - 60%
Mizzou - 70%
UGA - 20%
UK - 65%
Bama - 15%
Arky - 65%
A&M - 50%
Auburn - 50%
Vandy - 90%
Florida - 45%
5.3 wins. I am right there with you. Though I think I recently came out to about 5.5 with Cade's news. Just slightly more optimistic.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I specifically remember going into the 2014 season, we were looking really good in skill positions with Hurd/Malone coming in, Marquez North at WR, Ethan Wolf at TE, etc. The problem was we were essentially replacing both lines.

On an SEC preview on ESPN, one of the analysts (black guy, can’t remember his name, Kevin something I think) said “I like how Tennessee is looking this year. Not much in the skill positions, but those offensive and defensive lines are FOR REAL”

I think that was when I realized they don’t actually know what they are talking about lol. ESPN is like the casual fan, they know everything about the star players and nothing about anyone else.

Casual fan... Exactly! Best way to describe their “analysis”.

Reactions: KnoxRealtorVOL
Current FPI:

UTFPI.png

I read a few weeks ago the 2018 FPI had us 5-7 and that's what we finished....2019 was 7-5.. Looks like they know us well

I stand by my post - ESPN is a bunch of know nothings that have turned their organization into a crap fest
Fair enough but I was referring to the first part of your post. I had the same reaction several months ago when I saw ESPN projected only 3 wins for us.

VN Store

Back