Florida Game

I get that, but a school with the tradition of Tennessee shouldn't resort to storming the field against a lesser team, and from just about all accounts Florida is the lesser team this season. Time will tell.

I get 1998...both teams ranked in the Top 5/10, night game, exciting and spontaneous ending for you guys.

I've witnessed fans from FSU (96), UT (98), Auburn (01) and Ole Miss (02) storm the field after beating us, and in every case those schools were the underdog.

Exactly my sentiments. I made a similar point a page or two before this one. If we were to rush the field, it would make our program a target to be laughed. Yes, we haven't beaten the Gators in 11 years, but this season it's a home game, we arguably are more talented than you all at most positions, we are the prohibitive SEC East favorite, and we have more experience at the skill positions than most other teams in the conference.

All that together makes for a pretty convincing case as to why we are the favorite. Now, whether we win the game or not is a different story. But if UT, a potentially Top 7-12 team when the Gators come to town were to rush the field after beating a team that at best will probably be #15-#20 at that point and a Touchdown underdog, it would just look bad.

The only team we should "rush the field" against would be Bama. Almost as long of a losing streak as Florida, defending National Champs, will be a Top 5-10 team when we play them, and could have playoff implications.

I really hope fans contain themselves if we can finally end the streak this year.

I agree with everything Versace said. If Tennessee fans rush the field after beating an inferior Florida team, I would be embarrassed. Plus, rushing the field would give that much more credence to how bad Florida mindf***s us.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with everything Versace said. If Tennessee fans rush the field after beating an inferior Florida team, I would be embarrassed. Plus, rushing the field would give that much more credence to how bad Florida mindf***s us.

Agree..

I got to thinking - if we win handily - we have so much PTSD from the Dooley years - we might not rush the field, but we need to see 0:00 left in the 4th on the clock.

No.. Not even that.. Not until the refs are on the plane headed home.

Remember this?
https://youtu.be/Eq1n38zqUCw?t=39

My brother has a piece of the goal post from 85 Vandy win. Sometimes it's not about who you beat it's about celebrating what's about to happen.

It's my understanding that after we tear down the goal posts that are up now they will be replaced with the kind they can lower. We should save one for when we beat Bama this year.

Tear one down for the gators and then the other one down when we beat Bama.

And Checker Neyland for the Fl game, while shaking shakers and blasting 3rd down for what as we set records of how loud the crowd can get.

Go Vols!

My brother has a piece of the goal post from 85 Vandy win. Sometimes it's not about who you beat it's about celebrating what's about to happen.

It's my understanding that after we tear down the goal posts that are up now they will be replaced with the kind they can lower. We should save one for when we beat Bama this year.

Tear one down for the gators and then the other one down when we beat Bama.

And Checker Neyland for the Fl game, while shaking shakers and blasting 3rd down for what as we set records of how loud the crowd can get.

Go Vols!

While I don't consider myself to be a superstitious person, I might have to be on the side of the party that says we should retire Checker Neyland. Two heartbreaking losses. No wins. Let's just all wear orange like we have done for decades and scream really loud.

The fans really don't need to rush the field if they beat Florida, like posters have said, it doesn't look right when you are suppose to have the better team. Not trying to sound snobbish but that should only happen for the Vols if they win the NC or are big underdogs.

The fans really don't need to rush the field if they beat Florida, like posters have said, it doesn't look right when you are suppose to have the better team. Not trying to sound snobbish but that should only happen for the Vols if they win the NC or are big underdogs.

Not snobbish at all, that's how it works...you storm the field after an unexpected win or upset.

If you guys beat us this season it won't be considered an upset.

Reactions: 1 person
Not snobbish at all, that's how it works...you storm the field after an unexpected win or upset.

If you guys beat us this season it won't be considered an upset.

After the last 30 games played of this series, ANY Vol win vs Florida is to be unexpected, including this year IMO.

While I don't consider myself to be a superstitious person, I might have to be on the side of the party that says we should retire Checker Neyland. Two heartbreaking losses. No wins. Let's just all wear orange like we have done for decades and scream really loud.

My wife got me a picture with Neyland Checkered, it's hanging on the wall in my living room. For Pete's sake let's get a win while Neyland is Checkered so I can have a pleasant memory. I see it and the fact I couldn't make it to the game and how it ended is bad enough, but to never do it again with a record of 0-2, unacceptable.

I was at the Ok game last year and the just the way the stadium looks when Checkered is super cool.

I'm in for an orange out too.

Go Vols!

My wife got me a picture with Neyland Checkered, it's hanging on the wall in my living room. For Pete's sake let's get a win while Neyland is Checkered so I can have a pleasant memory. I see it and the fact I couldn't make it to the game and how it ended is bad enough, but to never do it again with a record of 0-2, unacceptable.

I was at the Ok game last year and the just the way the stadium looks when Checkered is super cool.

I'm in for an orange out too.

Go Vols!

It looked fantastic, the pictures were amazing. But it has a stigma attached to it, and I don't see why we should keep doing it till it produces a win. Besides, the novelty of it is what makes it so cool. Do it to often and it can become over saturated.

This is just my opinion. If there was a Vegas pool for whether Checker Neyland happened again this year or not, odds would probably be pretty high they decide to do it. So I bet most Checker Neyland fans will be pleased.

I, however, could do without it. Next time we have a game on Halloween, I would love to see the Lane Kiffin pumpkin uniforms come back to play. I probably am in the minority, but I freaked when they walked off the field in Orange and came back out dressed in those uniforms. Say what you want about Kiffin, but he knew just how to push the right buttons to get people excited. I liked him. And I am probably also in the minority for that.

I understand the sentiment but If the Vols beat the gators after dropping 11 in a row I can fully understand why fans would storm the field. It's a monkey off their (mainly the team) back. I wouldn't rush the field but am I going to be upset if thousands of fans rush the field in a moment of pure bliss? Nope. Also, I don't think the university will mind paying the fine if the streak finally ends this year.

Why would the fan base of a prohibitive favorite over a lesser team storm the field after what many expect to be an easy home win?

Look at how cute you are, playing coy, pretending not to know about that little 11-game streak thingy our programs have between them... :)

It looked fantastic, the pictures were amazing. But it has a stigma attached to it, and I don't see why we should keep doing it till it produces a win. Besides, the novelty of it is what makes it so cool. Do it to often and it can become over saturated.

This is just my opinion. If there was a Vegas pool for whether Checker Neyland happened again this year or not, odds would probably be pretty high they decide to do it. So I bet most Checker Neyland fans will be pleased.

I, however, could do without it. Next time we have a game on Halloween, I would love to see the Lane Kiffin pumpkin uniforms come back to play. I probably am in the minority, but I freaked when they walked off the field in Orange and came back out dressed in those uniforms. Say what you want about Kiffin, but he knew just how to push the right buttons to get people excited. I liked him. And I am probably also in the minority for that.

It's all pomp and pageantry, I do like the idea of black for Halloween games.

Time to start stacking the wins.

Go Vols!

Do we not already have the goalposts that are folded down as soon as the game is over? I thought it was part of the allstate policy that every college football team had those

I was joking about allstate and insurance but I'm truly surprised in the day and age of "you left em there. I had to tear em down" that we don't have the fold down kind

VN Store

Back