Florida Game

The guy sitting next to me at the game got up and left after Burton's TD.

He told me we were getting beaten badly in the trenches and that they had just exposed our defense. Said Florida would end up winning by 3 scores and that he had seen enough.

The crowd being so deflated was definitely due to the "here we go again" factor (especially vs Florida) rather than disinterest in the game. Neyland will be capable of rocking again for 4 quarters even when faced with adversity after we string together a few decent seasons and fans stop feeling like we're going to lose every single close game.

But wait.....but wait. How could that be? So many on here mock and shout down anybody who suggests there's a mental and or human nature component to our series with Florida....they say that no previous game has neither any impact nor anything whatsoever to do with the next game......so how can a "here we go again" mentality possibly be legit? Why, that's crazy voo-doo talk.

Interestingly enough....the guy was right. Just like so many of us who saw the loss coming in the 2014 game at home with a 9-0 after the last play of the third quarter....yet another "here we go again" moment.

I think the only way to get over the "here we go again" moment, is to just dominate start to finish and never let the Gators within two scores of the lead. BOOM!

Reactions: 3 people
The guy sitting next to me at the game got up and left after Burton's TD.

He told me we were getting beaten badly in the trenches and that they had just exposed our defense. Said Florida would end up winning by 3 scores and that he had seen enough.

The crowd being so deflated was definitely due to the "here we go again" factor (especially vs Florida) rather than disinterest in the game. Neyland will be capable of rocking again for 4 quarters even when faced with adversity after we string together a few decent seasons and fans stop feeling like we're going to lose every single close game.

After being a fan for nearly 40 years, will be nice to experience.

I think a lot of Vol fans thought that. Our offense looked great against NC State, defense gave up yards but forced a lot of turnovers so it wasn't clear that our D was horrible yet. UF had just slugged out a win against Texas A&M who no one really expected to be a decent team its first year, even though they turned out to be. Plus the gameday hype and just wanting to believe tricked a lot of people into thinking UT would smash UF.

I remember everyone on 3HL talking all week about how UT was going to demolish UF, and the only person who thought Florida would win was Chris Low. He said something about the Gators still being better in the trenches and having more overall talent, and he wasn't sold on UT's defense.

I think the only way to get over the "here we go again" moment, is to just dominate start to finish and never let the Gators within two scores of the lead. BOOM!

We will need a 4 score lead with about 5 minutes to go for most fans to feel comfortable.

Seriously...it could be 35-21 Vols with 3 minutes left, and if they have the ball and cross the 50, there's going to be a lot of nervous energy in Neyland.

To teach mcelwain a lesson, look for butch to really run up the score this year! UT will own the SEC east starting this year.

Reactions: 2 people
cut_off_florida.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Haha! If you look really close, you can see Bugs standing on Jekyll Island in Georgia, lifting his arms over his head in celebration as Florida floats off into the Caribbean. :)

didn't notice that before...hilarious.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
We will need a 4 score lead with about 5 minutes to go for most fans to feel comfortable.

Seriously...it could be 35-21 Vols with 3 minutes left, and if they have the ball and cross the 50, there's going to be a lot of nervous energy in Neyland.

LOL. I think I would be alright. The whole thing about them being in our heads can probably play a part of in trying to finish the game, especially when you're the underdog. However, if it was the determining factor in every game, streaks would never end.

This game has to be won in the trenches. Last year we rushed for a lot but it was with misdirection. We have to put constant pressure on their QB and when an O-line or RB misses a block or takes the wrong guy, we have to make them pay.

This game has to be won in the trenches. Last year we rushed for a lot but it was with misdirection. We have to put constant pressure on their QB and when an O-line or RB misses a block or takes the wrong guy, we have to make them pay.

it wasn't all misdirection. we were, at worst, as physical up front as they were. and we were able to run at, around and thru them.

as for pressure on the QB...did that too. WG was a rag doll late in that game.

we did everything right. until the game was flat out on the line, and then did everything wrong.

there's no magic bullet needed to beat FL.

Last year was the first time in a long time that the team with more rushing yards didn't win the game.

The truth is, rushing yards is a false statistic in this series and only tends to bear out when Florida runs for more yards. In other words, if Florida rushes for more yards they win and if Florida rushes for fewer yards, they still win.

Interestingly enough....the guy was right. Just like so many of us who saw the loss coming in the 2014 game at home with a 9-0 after the last play of the third quarter....yet another "here we go again" moment.

You're right KB. I was so excited in 2014 thinking that was the year we would break the streak. When we kicked the third field goal I knew we would lose. You don't win those kinds of games by kicking field goals. Sort of like trying to hang onto a lead in the 2nd quarter:eek:hmy:, just doesn't work out well too often.

So this year I really think we will beat them (of course I thought we would beat them last year too), it's at Neyland, and I can't make the game. It's grounds for divorce. I have four tickets and I have watched us get beat 7 times in Neyland and when it looks like we will finally win.....:mad:

Reactions: 3 people
Haha! If you look really close, you can see Bugs standing on Jekyll Island in Georgia, lifting his arms over his head in celebration as Florida floats off into the Caribbean. :)

Actually I believe that would be Cumberland Island, the most southern of Georgia's barrier islands. Just for geographical correctness.

The loudest I ever heard it was the '01 Georgia game when Travis Stephens ripped off the long screen pass for a TD. The stadium was shaking if only it ended there 😱😰

You could feel the upper deck start to shake as Stephens got past the second line and turned it up. It was like a tidal wave of "thank God we didn't blow it." Especially after that close call on Washington's TD. Then we blew it, made Mark Richt a household name in the SEC, and gave Larry Munson his most famous call. 2001. What a year. But I'd agree that's the loudest I've heard it, outside of maybe the minute after Stoerner's fumble. Florida was super loud too, once that kick went wide. All good games. Can't help but observe they're all over 15 years old, too. It's been too long.

Hell, to be honest, the loudest consistent crowd I've heard in Neyland in the last 10 years was last year's Oklahoma game. I was proud to be in that crowd; we brought it for 60 minutes and OU showed it.

In my opinion we need to scratch the orange pants. Orange on white and white on white both look so much better

Never scrap the orange pants. If it were up to me we'd wear orange pants for every single Florida, UGA, Bama, SEC title and playoff game. I'm probably in the minority here, but that's how I roll.

VN Store

Back