Game Plan vs A&M

Yes, but is our offensive line better than their defensive line? Offensive lines do not play against each other. The line of scrimmage is the reason I think aTm will win this game.
The person I replied to posited that because Alabama didn’t have success running against A&M, we won’t either. I stated that our offensive line is better than Alabama’s, as are our running backs. As such Alabama’s failure to run the ball effectively does not mean we will fail as well. The logic is pretty simple.

I suspect both teams will try to do the same thing on D. Take away the run and make the QB beat them. A&M will press up on those screens knowing how dependent UT has been on them. UT should do something fairly similar.

IMO, this game is the fork in the road for the team and Milton. Milton has to hit shots in the mid and long game. If they can play up on the LOS to stop the run and screens then it won't go well for the Vols.

The caveat to UT's plan is that they need to hit Johnson... A LOT. Both teams are very good at pressuring the passer but so far UT has been a little better protecting the passer. A&M can't get time for their deep game.
I agree with your take. I was encouraged that we were less reliant on the WR screen during the SC game. It's still an effective play for us as long as we don't go to the well too many times.

We'll do what we are supposed to do in Heupel's offense. If they stack the box, we pass. If they drop defenders to cover the pass, we'll run. It is just going to be important Milton makes the right read.

A&M played a 6 man Dline against Bama. It took them a while, but even they realized they were going to have to pass to beat them. As we do it every day, if A&M tries that against us, we'll just know it a WHOLE lot sooner.

Not even Bama was able to run on A&M. Tennessee native Walter Nolen has been dominant. Wish he would come home to finish college career.
Our rush game is a lot different than bama's. Also, and I can't stress this enough....a lot better.

We are 7th in the country at 231 ypg, bammer is 83rd at 144 ypg

I get and accept that the Tamu yardage of 29 yards for bammer contributed to that, but if you go back a week, bammer was still only 54th at 168 ypg

So when you say "Not even Bama was able to run on A&M", not sure what you are getting at. Their run game this year is quite average.

Bammer won by having Milroe be able to throw. If Milton can at least play as well as Milroe, I think we can throw and run.

Milan Tenn in West Tenn High School I think !!!
He was born in Memphis and got around...He played at Olive Branch Mississippi freshman and sophomore years.....played at Saint Benedict in Memphis his junior year....play at Powell outside of Knoxville his senior year....Oh yeah....he also enrolled at IMG Academy during those years but never played there...Lol.

Milan has had some good football players over the years...but they can't claim Nolen.

Reactions: BanditVol
Not even Bama was able to run on A&M. Tennessee native Walter Nolen has been dominant. Wish he would come home to finish college career.
This aint your typical Bama OL; like I've mentioned before they are 127th in the nation for giving up sacks........some of that is on the QB I assume.

Reactions: jarnol32
He was born in Memphis and got around...He played at Olive Branch Mississippi freshman and sophomore years.....played at Saint Benedict in Memphis his junior year....play at Powell outside of Knoxville his senior year....Oh yeah....he also enrolled at IMG Academy during those years but never played there...Lol.

Milan has had some good football players over the years...but they can't claim Nolen.
I stand corrected............someone told me he was from Milan !

Not true. But it has been since 2021 that A&M won a true road game.
Same thing little different🤣 in the "what have you done for me lately" World, 2 years is like forever in the coaching world where most have 3 to prove their worth or Fahr whoever. His high buyout may give him a reprieve.

With the injury to Bru, I think we see at least one TE in the game at all times. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us with two at times and flexing one out.

We have to be able to run the ball, but it will be difficult. A&M did wear down fairly quickly against Bama. As long as we are ahead/ even, we have the advantage. Their offensive line will struggle with our pressure.

I agree with you. A&M may think they are tough to run on but they’ve never seen a back like Sampson. He will gash them pieces.
Yeah.. I do agree that Tennessee has better backs all around than Bama. We'll have to be able to run some and Sampson has that burst. Wright is good too though. It's going to be a attitude game. Which team wants it more.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Yeah.. I do agree that Tennessee has better backs all around than Bama. We'll have to be able to run some and Sampson has that burst. Wright is good too though. It's going to be a attitude game. Which team wants it more.
We are truly blessed this year with a great stable of running backs. Sampson, Smalls, Wright any 1 of them would be the featured back on most SEC teams. I like them all but Sampson seems to run like he’s angry , which I like to see.

VN Store

Back