Game Thread: (7) Lady Vols 86 - (RV) Arkansas 83

Seems pretty simple. If LVs play like they did against Auburn, they would lose to most HS travel teams. If they play ok, they can handle anyone outside the Top 10. If they focus, they can beat anyone in NCAAWB.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes, she's a shot blocker and rim protector. Those types pick up fouls.

That and she is also a target for ticky tack fouls or getting undercut by a guard who runs into her path (as one announcer pointed out, that rule needs to be changed becomes it impedes a post's freedom of movement).

The loss to Auburn shows this team can lose to anyone at any time. Honestly...I thought they were too good for a loss like that....and that means they could conceivably lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the ncaa tourney. I guess it's nice we are a legit force again...but once again the Vols fooled me into thinking they were above losses like that. My bad. Hope they can regroup and prove that loss was more a fluke than anything....but I don't think it was. Very deflating....but we'll see how it goes rest of the way. Go Vols. Just do your best. All we can ask.
Watching this Men's Big 12 thing today-- Baylor got beat by Alabama, but Alabama got beat by Georgia, which is not a good team. This stuff happens in basketball, you just hope it was a wake up call. They have to find a player to back up Key, but hopefully they will get back on track after that loss.

The loss to Auburn shows this team can lose to anyone at any time. Honestly...I thought they were too good for a loss like that....and that means they could conceivably lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the ncaa tourney. I guess it's nice we are a legit force again...but once again the Vols fooled me into thinking they were above losses like that. My bad. Hope they can regroup and prove that loss was more a fluke than anything....but I don't think it was. Very deflating....but we'll see how it goes rest of the way. Go Vols. Just do your best. All we can ask.
I never thought we had anymore talent than about five other SEC teams and well below that of South Carolina. We have big problems with three point shooting and point guard play. There hasn't been many games this season when the point guards were not credited with over 10 turnovers and they had 12 against Auburn. We also have to get more quality depth in the post positions. If we had some consistent three point shooters, better point guard play, and another quality post player or two then we would be very good. Until that happens were like about five other teams in the league. Like them well below SC who shouldn't have any losses but like us has one SEC loss.

Last edited:
If Key plays less than 10-12 min in the 1st half, I don't like Tennessee's chances...unless Arkansas' frontcourt is also in foul trouble. Goforth and Daniels are strong at attacking the paint, and same with Barnum now that she's back. If Key isn't around to dissuade them from entering her property, they could get a lot of confidence really quickly.

I don't have a good feeling about this game, tbh...
I am with you .Ark has been playing lights out and our lights have dimmed considerably.A lot will depend on ref crew and how they call the game,the spacing in half court offense,and crisp passes and simple passes,and quit dribbling,dribbling ,dribbling into double teams and turning the ball over ,ie,run some offense with movement ,reverse the ball.If they play some crisp offense that gives our shooters some open looks they will win this game ....if not and Ark plays like they have for last two weeks a win is in jeopardy.

I am with you .Ark has been playing lights out and our lights have dimmed considerably.A lot will depend on ref crew and how they call the game,the spacing in half court offense,and crisp passes and simple passes,and quit dribbling,dribbling ,dribbling into double teams and turning the ball over ,ie,run some offense with movement ,reverse the ball.If they play some crisp offense that gives our shooters some open looks they will win this game ....if not and Ark plays like they have for last two weeks a win is in jeopardy.
"Our lights have dimmed considerably." Have I missed something? Aren't the LVs 18 and 2? Wow. The sky has not fallen.

View attachment 431687

NCAA Rankings for the Lady Vols 18-2 (7-1)

This shows the team's strengths--defense and rebounding--and weaknesses----turnovers, free-throw shooting and three-point shooting. Our assist/turnover ratio is not very good: This has been a major problem for the program only about 15 years. We're not very good with the ball--don't handle it or pass it very well, don't shoot very well. Horston takes more shots than anybody on the team but is a 37 percent shooter. She does a lot of good things for the team, as we know, but that isn't ideal.

The Auburn loss was due to the Lady Vols not playing their "A" game. The loss of Green affected them emotionally. On the other side, Auburn was fired up to play their "A+" game because they were playing the no. 4 team in the nation. This was similar to, but not quite, the SC loss to Missouri.

This shows the team's strengths--defense and rebounding--and weaknesses----turnovers, free-throw shooting and three-point shooting. Our assist/turnover ratio is not very good: This has been a major problem for the program only about 15 years. We're not very good with the ball--don't handle it or pass it very well, don't shoot very well. Horston takes more shots than anybody on the team but is a 37 percent shooter. She does a lot of good things for the team, as we know, but that isn't ideal.
A lot of teams would take Horston gladly, apple/peach turnovers and all.

VN Store

Back