Game Thread: (7) Lady Vols 86 - (RV) Arkansas 83

Absolutely. I think we’re more likely to lose to Arkansas than UConn. I can see us winning all three, or losing all three. Realistically, 2-1 this week would be a fantastic outcome.
Do you really think it's more likely that we lose to Arkansas in a home game than to UConn in a game played in Connecticut ?

Do you really think it's more likely that we lose to Arkansas in a home game than to UConn in a game played in Connecticut ?
A UConn team that's missing their best player, starting PF and has a post depth that's as shaky as Tennessee's is right now? Yes.

Arkansas has been playing well; UConn, not so much.

Reactions: Rooster1
No way. Lose to Arkansas and you can kiss an SEC championship goodbye.

To me that’s worth way more.

Just because it’s unlikely doesn’t mean you just forget about it and throw it away.
That's the rational response. Ideally, Tenn wins both games. I just really want to see them leave Hartford with a "W"

Sorry, I'd rather see the loss to Arkansas and a win vs UConn. I think SEC champ is unlikely with SC and LSU to close the season, and really think this will be their best chance against UConn in some time.
Never. Never underestimate the heart ❤️ of a champion.

A UConn team that's missing their best player, starting PF and has a post depth that's as shaky as Tennessee's is right now? Yes.

Arkansas has been playing well; UConn, not so much.
Interesting. Because of where the games are being played, I think the opposite is more likely.
Now, if the home game was with uconn and the road game with Arkansas, than I would agree with you that uconn game would be a more likely win. But they're not.

It will be our height versus their speed. Against LSU the Hogs speed and three point shooting won out. May have to go mainly women to women, a zone could be a dangerous move since most of their shooters can shoot far past the three point line. They also beat LSU’s height on the boards by gang rebounding and just plain out jumping the Tigers. We will need to get off the floor for rebounds. Their dribble drive is much improved since the last time we played them. They also play a harassing defense. It’s like ants at a picnic. We will need to be mindful with our subbing especially since their subs are a little faster than our subs. We have to eliminate turnovers, like Horstons dangerous no look passes and Burrell needs to bounce back from a horrible last game. We will bounce back.

Darth, wins vs Ark and UConn not out Of question, I lean LV’s in both unless UConn comes out shooting nets off
I think he's referring to the road to winning the SEC. The Auburn loss hurts. Tennessee has to upset SC to have a shot. I don't see SC losing another game, and Tennessee still has to also deal with LSU. If not for Auburn, I would have felt like there was a good chance to win outright or tie with SC.

I think he's referring to the road to winning the SEC. The Auburn loss hurts. Tennessee has to upset SC to have a shot. I don't see SC losing another game, and Tennessee still has to also deal with LSU. If not for Auburn, I would have felt like there was a good chance to win outright or tie with SC.

Exactly. People can say it was just one loss, but it was devastating in that it cost them any realistic shot at the SEC regular season title and a #1 seed for the tournament...

Reactions: Voluble2
The loss to Auburn shows this team can lose to anyone at any time. Honestly...I thought they were too good for a loss like that....and that means they could conceivably lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the ncaa tourney. I guess it's nice we are a legit force again...but once again the Vols fooled me into thinking they were above losses like that. My bad. Hope they can regroup and prove that loss was more a fluke than anything....but I don't think it was. Very deflating....but we'll see how it goes rest of the way. Go Vols. Just do your best. All we can ask.
I really thought the game changed with the substitutions in the first quarter and we just never recovered. We took all but one of our starters out against a team which has improved as the season has gone on. We got in a hurry, rushed our shots and became a turnover machine. We severely needed a timeout when things starting going South. The subs were unable to match the intensity or speed of Alburn. At that point, they became hyped and we could not answer back. Our starters made mistakes trying to comeback and players like Burrell simply lost their game and became a liability.

When this team plays at its best they are hard to beat. It is up to the coaches to put them in the best possible position to win. That includes evaluating your bench based upon the situation and calling timeouts when things seem to be headed South. Against good competition we might go nine deep but no more.

Exactly. People can say it was just one loss, but it was devastating in that it cost them any realistic shot at the SEC regular season title and a #1 seed for the tournament...
It did not cost them any "realistic" shot at all. They have every opportunity to win the rest of their games and win the SEC outright.

Our biggest dilemma with our play, is Tamari Key gets clogged in the paint, because our Coaching staff has not written plays for her to come shoot the free throw line shot. If they would start incorporating her shooting some mid range shots, it would make us a little less predictable and allow the paint to open up. Tamari usually gets started good early, but can’t sustain once the paint is clogged, which then puts all our perimeter players in panic, because we force things to happen. Jordan Horston is too good to settle for the outside shot, if it’s there fine, but if not, she is unmatched going inside. I hope Rae and Alexis make shots today, and Rae isn’t all over the place with her dribbling and foot work.

I’m excited for the game today. Really glad we are back at home.

This is a big test for this team, and for this coaching staff. The last decade games like that Auburn game have shortened the life expectancy of many a Lady Vol fan. During the Holly years our favorite trick was to add insult to injury after an embarrassing loss.

This team needs to buck that trend today. Right now.

Don’t want to see them press and overplay trying to get that Auburn game back. But I do hope to see them play focused, together and with a strong desire to win on both ends of the floor.

Arkansas is not a high pressure team defensively which bodes well for us. They cannot guard our size as we saw in the first matchup, and they will not get away with all the holding they did in Fayetteville this evening.

They do have Barnum back but she really is not moving around very well. She is limited defensively and on the glass still with her knee. Whomever she is guarding needs to take her to the rim because she cannot guard without fouling right now and does not have much elevation off that knee.

Offensively Arkansas has really come on the last few weeks though. Their chemistry finally looks better. I think Davis entering the portal sorted some issues for them and they got focused on basketball again. Their Freshman Spencer is playing really well and is a talented scorer. Their shooters have found their touch as well. They were able to spread out LSU the other night and torch them from 3. Once they spread them out they got some good looks at the rim. Paint points were 30 to LSU and 26 to Arkansas. For us to win that needs to be more like 45-15.

Defensively we have to get matched-up in transition and get out to shooters. Have to hope Wolfenbarger does not find her shooting touch tonight. Helped in Fayetteville that she was laying bricks all evening and Tamari never had to close hard on her and could stay back a bit.
I’m always so impressed with your knowledge of teams. You really do watch more games than anyone!

Reactions: Rooster1
It did not cost them any "realistic" shot at all. They have every opportunity to win the rest of their games and win the SEC outright.
While true, they had a chance to win at least a share of it even if they lost to SC. Technically, the road to the title is in their hands, but that means that they upset the #1 team in the country on the road....no small feat.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The nice thing about this game tonight is that will tell us right away if the last game was an aberration or not.

Arky is tailor made to give us trouble, and is very similar to Auburn in some ways. They have film on what Auburn did to win, and film on the last time they played us earlier in the season. They should bring their best game.

If the last game was a one off then we should come out inspired and intent on proving a point, and win handily. If we have a structural problem with Green out, or are fading down the stretch then we will struggle or lose.

It is time to cinch up and take our play up a notch for the stretch run.

VN Store

Back