Game Thread Lady Vols vs Tennessee State

Fact: Burdick is not a consistent shooter
Fact: She is a sloppy passer
Fact: She led the team with 5 TO's last night
Fact: She has underachieved at UT
Fact: She has a good attitude at times and is a good rebounder
Fact: She gets too much playing time

Last edited:
Funny how people see things differently. I thought when Middleton came in we took off on a run in the first half. It just seems like we have a better flow going when she is in there but we will see when the competition gets tougher.

Carter is the best defender on the team but Middleton just brings that "it" factor. The team chemistry is better with her. She is the best passer on the team. And, if there is one thing this team needs it is great passers. Middleton and Reynolds are the two best passers. As long as they have one or the other on the floor at all times the offense should flow.

Reactions: 3 people
Carter is the best defender on the team but Middleton just brings that "it" factor. The team chemistry is better with her. She is the best passer on the team. And, if there is one thing this team needs it is great passers. Middleton and Reynolds are the two best passers. As long as they have one or the other on the floor at all times the offense should flow.

I just wish Reynolds would be a bit more aggressive. Part of me would rather see Middleton, Massengale, or even Carter at PG. From what I've read if healthy Tucker would be the best fit at SG

Fact: Burdick is not a consistent shooter
Fact: She is a sloppy passer
Fact: She led the team with 5 TO's last night
Fact: She has underachieved at UT
Fact: She has a great attitude at times and is a good rebounder
Fact: She gets too much playing time

The bolded part is the main thing I don't like about Burdick. I actually think her attitude is terrible. She's got this "LOOK AT ME!" attitude whenever Tennessee plays, and it infects the team. She showboats too much, and the rest of the team follows suit...hence all the flashy passes that end up in the sidelines or in the opposing team's possession. But the problem is the minute they have a good team that's taking it to them (like Maryland), she curls up in fetal position and plays terrified.

If she would stop showing off (albeit unsuccessfully), I wouldn't be so annoyed everytime I see her on the court.

I wasn't talking about you specifically, so don't take it so personal. You talk about the past and even though we want to get back to that type of national contention level, we just won't get there degrading these young ladies and coaching staff for decisions made. I'm sure half the people commenting on the lady vols and their play and the way Holly coaches has 1) never stepped foot on a basketball court and 2) have never been on the sideline coaching adults. If your are a parent you can kind of relate that it is hard enough to get your child to do what you want at all times, let alone expect it from adults. Lets stop downing these young women who I'm sure read forums like these to get a feel for how their fan base is reacting to their play. They need encouragement from their fans not criticism, they get enough of that from the coaches!

I am not taking it personally. I was trying to understand your position. There is a difference between discussing how a team and its players perform on the court and making degrading personal attacks on their character motivation, or insulting them. I am with you that latter should not be on a fan board but analysis of what players are doing well as well what they could improve upon is what these boards are basically about.

The LVs have a preponderance of McDonalds All-Americans, who have come up through very competitive AAU programs and they have signed on to play at a premier program. The program brings big crowds, media coverage and high fan expectations. So, the LVs are a bit different from your 8th grade rec league and they can handle more than "good job; great effort; you tried SO hard" feedback. I understand competitive college athletics very well and from the inside. I seriously doubt that the comments on fan boards have much bearing on their outlooks or performances.

Reactions: 2 people
I am not taking it personally. I was trying to understand your position. There is a difference between discussing how a team and its players perform on the court and making degrading personal attacks on their character motivation, or insulting them. I am with you that latter should not be on a fan board but analysis of what players are doing well as well what they could improve upon is what these boards are basically about.

The LVs have a preponderance of McDonalds All-Americans, who have come up through very competitive AAU programs and they have signed on to play at a premier program. The program brings big crowds, media coverage and high fan expectations. So, the LVs are a bit different from your 8th grade rec league and they can handle more than "good job; great effort; you tried SO hard" feedback. I understand competitive college athletics very well and from the inside. I seriously doubt that the comments on fan boards have much bearing on their outlooks or performances.

Very well said..+1

Reactions: 1 person

First off, the players I coach are AAU and in 8 years of coaching I've taken what you would consider a rec league group to 3 championships. Secondly, I'm not saying that we as fans shouldn't be able to voice our opinions about their play, however, when every other comment is they need to improve this, that and the other it can come across as whining and down right disrespectful. All I'm saying is you, along with everyone else have to realize the Pat Summitt Era is over and your expectations have to be adjusted as such. Expecting a 3rd year coach to do more than what Holly has done is ludacris. She and the rest of the LVs coaching staff have done just fine replacing a legendary coach like Pat. Give credit where credit is due and stop being negative all the time. This goes for you, armchair and any other so called true fan.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back