Gary Danielson on "Battle for Atlanta"

Talking about how Tennessee "chokes" in tight games...

Is it wrong to hate someone so much that you keep hoping he'll stroke out and lose the ability to speak altogether?

Not cool imo

As a CBS commentator, Gary Danielson has called precisely TWO Tennessee wins. Bama 2006 and UGA 2015.

It's not surprising that he thinks we suck.

That is one helluva sad stat if that is accurate, which I think it is. Wow.

Based on the responses so far, I have the sinking feeling that drunk posting mixed with flight of ideas thought patterns is going to bite me in the ass once again...

How about if I just go with "Gary Danielson is a big old meany"?

You know, sometimes I say some of the most clever things known to man and nobody "gets it". Just don't understand it. It hurts.

I don't like him or Verne. He's not completely wrong. The point was made on SEC Now tonight that UT goes conservative at the ends of games and plays not to lose.... just like some of us said after the losses last year.

That seemed to improve later so hopefully it is in the past.... but UT will continue to "choke" until they start playing to win those big games rather than playing not to lose them.

Reactions: 2 people
Until we prove othewise and seal the deal against a Top 10 team (which I think we will this season) that remains our reputation, our M.O.

But it works to our advantage this year. Our guys (mostly our O-linemen) have something to prove to the world (and Gary & Verne) in all four quarters of each big game.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't like him or Verne. He's not completely wrong. The point was made on SEC Now tonight that UT goes conservative at the ends of games and plays not to lose.... just like some of us said after the losses last year.

That seemed to improve later so hopefully it is in the past.... but UT will continue to "choke" until they start playing to win those big games rather than playing not to lose them.
"Some of us"? Anyone with a pulse said that after the losses last year, it was that obvious.

when I watched the replay of the UGA win last year I realized how much I dislike his commentary. after Hurd blasted the DB, Danielson gets on his soap box about making what he did a penalty because he put his head down when he flattened the guy. Poor defenseless tackler. What a candy a** comment.

Yeah, I remember that, and was thinking at the time how do you consider a defender as 'defenseless'. It was a really stupid comment by him.

Is it wrong to hate someone so much that you keep hoping he'll stroke out and lose the ability to speak altogether?

Yet, unfortunately, he has plenty of evidence to support it. He's selectively not recalling the 2014 SCar and 2015 Georgia games however.

While one cannot control those announcing a game, there is one very magic thing you do control - the volume. When confronted with blithering idiots announcing a game, turn down the sound. The game speaks for itself (this is not radio, remember), why does one need someone to tell them what is happening? When attending a game in person, there is no play-by-play or someone telling you what just happened. Enjoy the game, shut out those who would annoy you - unless you just enjoy complaining!

Excellent strategy I've utilized myself and this miraculously removed stupid people and their mouthy observations from the room. Right on!

You get a 'Like', sir.

I really don't pay that much attention to what the announcers say. They have no effect on the game. They just speak.

It seems a lot of people listen just to get outraged. So what if they mispronounce a name? They only have to learn 100+ names per week and call the action in real time. Not easy to do. I get it, that's what they get paid to do but still.

He's right! During our choke games, I get the impression he has pulled for us

That's exactly right! Listen, we might as well face it, WE CHOKED in 2015! We had chances at huge wins, and WE CHOKED. We can't escape it, we can't deny it, and the first step in getting over it is, like everything else in life, facing it and calling it what it is! I can promise you the players and coaches have faced it and owned it, at least I believe they have, especially Butch with the staff changes he's made. We don't need to be like Alabama fans who cry and complain every time someone says something about Tennessee that we don't like! If we don't like it, then change it!

Reactions: 1 person
Based on the responses so far, I have the sinking feeling that drunk posting mixed with flight of ideas thought patterns is going to bite me in the ass once again...

How about if I just go with "Gary Danielson is a big old meany"?

:eek:lol:...that's o.k.,...you may feel a little pinch...you just got the VN personality makeover...feel better now...?...:tease2:...:angel:...:eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

Vols led in every game last year. They lost 4 of those 13 games. I bet if you averaged out most teams it would break down to similar number of leads lost and comeback wins.

UT won the last 6 games it played, think it's pretty safe to say they did figure out how to win and close out games. But let's just ignore that since it's not the popular copy/paste expert "opinion."

Yet, unfortunately, he has plenty of evidence to support it. He's selectively not recalling the 2014 SCar and 2015 Georgia games however.

But by that time UT wasn't playing for the SEC E.

IMO, UT closes out OU last season, they win in Gainesville then take care of business vs Ark.

UGA was important from a pride standpoint as was USC in '13/ '14 but those games didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things... Kind of like making a 40 foot putt for triple bogey.

Until we prove othewise and seal the deal against a Top 10 team (which I think we will this season) that remains our reputation, our M.O.

But it works to our advantage this year. Our guys (mostly our O-linemen) have something to prove to the world (and Gary & Verne) in all four quarters of each big game.

Thought Verne retired. It will be interesting to see if Gary still talks slower when explaining why a play happened or evolved. It's something like he's announcing to low info fans or maybe it's a drunk Verne.

I really don't pay that much attention to what the announcers say. They have no effect on the game. They just speak.

It seems a lot of people listen just to get outraged. So what if they mispronounce a name? They only have to learn 100+ names per week and call the action in real time. Not easy to do. I get it, that's what they get paid to do but still.

The majestic reasonable and rational post, not often seen in the wild

Yes it is rather sad that some think like you.

I used to rag (pause) on Danielson quite a bit, but once i took verne out of the equation, Danielson actually does a decent job. If you paired him with someone that wasn't a complete buffoon, i think he'd be more well-received.

Vols led in every game last year. They lost 4 of those 13 games. I bet if you averaged out most teams it would break down to similar number of leads lost and comeback wins.

UT won the last 6 games it played, think it's pretty safe to say they did figure out how to win and close out games. But let's just ignore that since it's not the popular copy/paste expert "opinion."

Or.....we lost the 4 games where we led late to teams that were a collective 43-12 and we ripped off the 6 game win streak vs teams that were a collective 28-45. Btw, most of the games we won during the 6 game streak weren't close...avg score was 37 to 15, with South Carolina being the only close game and it clearly never should've been.

Look, I think Tennessee proved something different last year. I think they proved that they were one of the best, most talented teams in the country. Look at how they played Oklahoma and Bama, how they controlled Florida for 3+ quarters, how they came back and beat Georgia, how they handled their business vs the teams they should be handled their business against.

I just don't think the 6 game win streak tells us anything with respect to them L earning how to win close games.....we're just not gonna know if Butch and the boys have "figured out how to win close games and close out teams" until we see them do it vs their rivals THIS YEAR, vs the best teams on their schedule, not vs SCar, Kentucky and Vandy.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back