Gary Danielson on "Battle for Atlanta"

"Choked" is not correct to me.. "Playing not to lose" is.

Kind of a difference without a distinction IMO. You either lose a game, multiple times, that you shouldn't or you don't. Butch's teams have done it 4 times now during his tenure and it's a disturbing trend that needs to stop if our program is gonna reach its potential and lofty goals.

Like many, Danielson conveniently omits that team 120 is not team 119, or team 118, or team 117. Yes, some members of team 120 played on the previous Tennessee teams. Yes, some members of the coaching staff worked with the prior three teams. Moot. All such arguments are moot. Paid to blather, Danielson obliges. End of story.

Reactions: 1 person
I really don't pay that much attention to what the announcers say. They have no effect on the game. They just speak.

It seems a lot of people listen just to get outraged. So what if they mispronounce a name? They only have to learn 100+ names per week and call the action in real time. Not easy to do. I get it, that's what they get paid to do but still.

I think this is an excellent observation. They don't follow each team the way we follow OUR team, and there is a lot of names to remember.

I'm going to quit ragging on Lerne Vundquist about butchering names from now on. Boca, I am humbled by your observation.

Like many, Danielson conveniently omits that team 120 is not team 119, or team 118, or team 117. Yes, some members of team 120 played on the previous Tennessee teams. Yes, some members of the coaching staff worked with the prior three teams. Moot. All such arguments are moot. Paid to blather, Danielson obliges. End of story.

But Coach 23 coaches similar to Coach 20 late in tight games.

Or.....we lost the 4 games where we led late to teams that were a collective 43-12 and we ripped off the 6 game win streak vs teams that were a collective 28-45. Btw, most of the games we won during the 6 game streak weren't close...avg score was 37 to 15, with South Carolina being the only close game and it clearly never should've been.

Look, I think Tennessee proved something different last year. I think they proved that they were one of the best, most talented teams in the country. Look at how they played Oklahoma and Bama, how they controlled Florida for 3+ quarters, how they came back and beat Georgia, how they handled their business vs the teams they should be handled their business against.

I just don't think the 6 game win streak tells us anything with respect to them L earning how to win close games.....we're just not gonna know if Butch and the boys have "figured out how to win close games and close out teams" until we see them do it vs their rivals THIS YEAR, vs the best teams on their schedule, not vs SCar, Kentucky and Vandy.

JRM took a big step foward when he said the team relaxed last year. Identifying that problem is huge. Depth is another issue from last year and from the interviews I've seen many have upped their game to be able to contribute at a high level. Conservative play calling on both sides of the ball will be a thing of the past. It's almost time to see the result from all the work the players and coaches did this offseason. Watch out App St. The Vols will be ready.

Talking about how Tennessee "chokes" in tight games...

Is it wrong to hate someone so much that you keep hoping he'll stroke out and lose the ability to speak altogether?

Please change your response, this is not right and horrible to wish on anyone... or maybe a mod will fix it.. it's just a game and not to be taken so seriously...

Thanks

Based on the responses so far, I have the sinking feeling that drunk posting mixed with flight of ideas thought patterns is going to bite me in the ass once again...

How about if I just go with "Gary Danielson is a big old meany"?

You could also say "Gary Danielson is a big old weany." :wink:

Good. Every team with a winning season needs an us against the world element. We need more doubt from the media. We do have something to prove at this point.

JRM took a big step foward when he said the team relaxed last year. Identifying that problem is huge. Depth is another issue from last year and from the interviews I've seen many have upped their game to be able to contribute at a high level. Conservative play calling on both sides of the ball will be a thing of the past. It's almost time to see the result from all the work the players and coaches did this offseason. Watch out App St. The Vols will be ready.

IMO JRM's comment is huge. For all the players to finally feel that their blood, sweat, and tears under Butch since they arrived has paid off couldn't be more significant. The spring steel tension they feel at the questions inside, "When do we arrive at the elite playing level? When is rebuilding over"? are finally answered.

Now! Now we're ready! we've played the best and we measure up. For all their training and work, they've been tested and know they have what it takes to compete, and that coil spring inside lets go and it becomes fantastic to play NCAA Div I Football in the SEC and the title game in Atlanta.

With all due respect to JRM, is that really what happened? We relaxed vs Oklahoma? And then again vs Florida? And yet again vs Arkansas?

Personally, I think he is one of the best on the air.. Like him or not, he calls them like he sees them. Also, he is right about "choking". We absolutely "choked" against the Swamp Rats and the Bama Bubbas.. We should have won both of those games last year.

My forecast is the "choking" is over.. That concern left during our stomping one of those Girl's Schools from the Big Ten in that Bowl Game last year. Maturity has come of age for our team. A different, more confident team attitude will hit the field this year.

With all due respect to JRM, is that really what happened? We relaxed vs Oklahoma? And then again vs Florida? And yet again vs Arkansas?

And don't forget SC. The play calling and depth issues didn't help either. It would be nice to blame the losses on one thing, but it was many things that kept them from being special last year. As a team it looks like they have identified what went wrong and have decided to work and improve so that it doesn't happen again.

TENNESSEE has never lost a game...EVER!!

My wife says I have something called selective memory, but I don't remember ever having forgot something because I didn't like it..

Either way..I am happy living in my world :)

And don't forget SC. The play calling and depth issues didn't help either. It would be nice to blame the losses on one thing, but it was many things that kept them from being special last year. As a team it looks like they have identified what went wrong and have decided to work and improve so that it doesn't happen again.

Sorry, not buying that we continued to "relax" with leads time after time after time. Also, we had a lot more depth (and talent) than SCar last year. Why weren't they the ones who "ran out of gas" due to depth?

There's no commentators I really hate. I can usually see and decide for myself what's going on. They're just useful when something is going on off camera.

I remember one thing Danielson said once that really stuck out to me. Arkansas was playing Florida in Gainesville one of the years Tebow was there. Florida was heavily favored but Arkansas was playing them close late in the first half (and all the way until the final whistle).

With about 30 seconds left in the half, Arkansas had the ball with at least one timeout and was in the red zone. The clock was stopped and they had just gotten a first down. Danielson keeps saying "I wonder if Arkansas is going to kick their field goal on second down or third down." His bias was so ingrained that the possibility of Arkansas scoring a TD and taking a lead into halftime seemingly did not even occur to him. The love affair he and Verne had for Tebow was unlike anything I have ever seen.

Sorry, not buying that we continued to "relax" with leads time after time after time. Also, we had a lot more depth (and talent) than SCar last year. Why weren't they the ones who "ran out of gas" due to depth?

What about the conservative play calling? And as for depth to keep putting the defense back on the field and it will keep showing up. We were a horrible team with a lead. After getting up by a couple of TDs we changed from the aggressor that built the lead to the team ready to run clock and turn it over to our defense. I don't know if it was player generates or by the coaches but that was our problem last year and I'm glad it was identified.

What about the conservative play calling? And as for depth to keep putting the defense back on the field and it will keep showing up. We were a horrible team with a lead. After getting up by a couple of TDs we changed from the aggressor that built the lead to the team ready to run clock and turn it over to our defense. I don't know if it was player generates or by the coaches but that was our problem last year and I'm glad it was identified.

Oh, think we were defining "relax" differently. If you're defining it as the coaches trying to hang onto a lead and run out the clock rather than keep the pressure on, trying to score on offense and trying to stay aggressive on defense, then we actually agree.

If however, you were saying that "relaxing" meant our players lost some focus and didn't play with the same type effort they did earlier thereby all by absolving the coaching and their decisions/game management late, then we are still at an impasse.

Hmm, there seems to be this false dichotomy emerging in this thread (as already seen in other threads over the past nine months).

Losing the 2015 OU and Florida games late does not have to be EITHER on the coaches OR on the players. Fact is, they did it together, as a team. The way teams do. With a lot of little things that could've gone better, but didn't. Players got tired, coaches called more conservatively, lack of depth in some spots got exposed, brains got turned off and knuckle-headed decisions were made...across the field, from the head coach down to the freshman playing one of his first college games.

It happened. It was on the team. Only teamwork can fix it, so that we avoid similar results in 2016. I'm pretty sure Team 120, from Butch to that bright-eyed freshman, all got the message.

Let's bury the debate already. At this point, it serves no good purpose, but only to divide.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Hmm, there seems to be this false dichotomy emerging in this thread (as already seen in other threads over the past nine months).

Losing the 2015 OU and Florida games late does not have to be EITHER on the coaches OR on the players. Fact is, they did it together, as a team. The way teams do. With a lot of little things that could've gone better, but didn't. Players got tired, coaches called more conservatively, lack of depth in some spots got exposed, brains got turned off and knuckle-headed decisions were made...across the field, from the head coach down to the freshman playing one of his first college games.

It happened. It was on the team. Only teamwork can fix it, so that we avoid similar results in 2016. I'm pretty sure Team 120, from Butch to that bright-eyed freshman, all got the message.

Let's bury the debate already. At this point, it serves no good purpose, but only to divide.

Go Vols!

Go get 'em JP! I'm with you,let it die already. Another season is here so let's enjoy it and talk about it.

Go Vols!

The way I see it, we fixed a lot of things. UT has won 7 out of the last 8 games (with Bama being that loss). Team 119 had some growing pains (and as JP said, emphasize the word TEAM).

I think we have some momentum and are better now than we were in the outback bowl.

I am one koolaid drinking (orange) optimistic sonofagun.

GoVOLS. UF game will be FUN this year.

edit: Y'all need to watch UF/Michigan again. It'll make you smile.

VN Store

Back