Gary Parrish on Butch's "Champions of life"

I'm really curious what everyone on here would rather him say....maybe he should have just responded to the question with "that question is so stupid I can't respond to it"
the media reps ask the questions and he still has to respond. The last one was really greatgeeze..

Did you listen tobthe conference? I did. It was ridiculous. I can think of plenty of things to say. Lyle says NOTHING that isn't rehearsed, so he actually planned this response.

This is what social media and the abrasiveness of regular media has done for us today. We're more mean-spirited than we want to admit, and we're quick to tear into anything or anyone like a pack of hyenas when they make even the slightest misstep.

I mean, I ain't going to lie, I laughed out loud when I saw the Wikipedia page edits, and I knew when I heard him say it that he probably was going to get some flack for it, because it *was* funny, but damn. Here we are, laughing at our coach for what amounted to ten seconds of sentiment in a press conference, all while we're posting pictures of Vol players with photoshopped stuff that makes fun of them to laugh at too. A team that's 8-3 and about to (probably) be 9-3, first time in a long time we're out of the 6-6 hole, and we just can't be happy at all with it or with our coach or with the team unless they never make a mistake and always say and do the right thing.

It's not the phrasing, I get that Butch phrased it poorly, I laughed too, but damn. Just damn. It was one sound bite. Maybe we could put the knives down for just a second and appreciate the players Butch was talking about, rather than the way in which he spoke of them.

Reactions: 4 people
He said while his seniors didn't win a championship "they are champions in life". What the **** is wrong with that? He never said his team was champions in life or that was what Tennessee won this yr like some scum bucket media dildo wants to write. He said it about 14 young men who came to Tennessee off 3 straight losing seasons and left the program in the top 20.

**** the biased media and those of you with no better sense than to listen to what the man said.

Exactly! BTW, who the hell is Gary Parrish????????

He said while his seniors didn't win a championship "they are champions in life". What the **** is wrong with that? He never said his team was champions in life or that was what Tennessee won this yr like some scum bucket media dildo wants to write. He said it about 14 young men who came to Tennessee off 3 straight losing seasons and left the program in the top 20.

**** the biased media and those of you with no better sense than to listen to what the man said.

Everything Butch says has to be taken completely out of context and literally. You know how VN works. With some of these fans its high school musical 2.0 in here.

That has to be one of the most asinine things Coach Cliche has ever said. He is a complete goof ball. I am sure that recruits really want to win the "Championship of Life" rather than the SEC East, the SEC Championship or a Natl Championship.

Where does he come up with this garbage?

Where does this come from? It appears to be a variation of the "dead cat strategy" that some politician(s) use to get people to focus on other issues thus taking the emphasis off the responsible party, if only temporarily.

Did not help, article didn't magically make the vols win the east.

LOL--if you're determined to be negative, then nothing I write can help you to begin with. NegaVoldom is an insidious disease...and there is no cure. When the Vols were undefeated having beaten Florida and Georgia, people were already shouting for DeBord to be fired and to bench Dobbs.

But this much at least should give you perspective. UT cannot compete with the sheer financial power of the schools who are already involved in the search for a new head coach. Not when we still have to hire an AD. If this sector of the fanbase that is determined to yell for Butch Jones to be fired succeeds, it will set UT football right back into the dumpster and pour lighter fluid on it. If CBJ goes, watch how many young recruits and players go too.

Just a thought. Carry on.

Reactions: 1 person
So you preferred him to say, "Those seniors sucked, man they should have beat South Carolina and earned the SEC East Championship!" ??

Or, let me guess, you didn't actually read the whole statement.

Amazing. You can't see how silly he looks for saying what he did. Had it been another coach you'd be laughing your ass off at that coach. But it's Butch so it's just another brick.

Reactions: 4 people
Hmmm, so what makes this criticism legit?

Im talking more in general terms. Jones is above criticism to some here.

These particular comments have some irony attached considering his post game remarks regarding the east to me.

At the end of the day, its not all that relevant. The more relevant point is what his teams have done and in this case, what they didnt do on the field.

Reactions: 2 people
Im talking more in general terms. Jones is above criticism to some here.

These particular comments have some irony attached considering his post game remarks regarding the east to me.

At the end of the day, its not all that relevant. The more relevant point is what his teams have done and in this case, what they didnt do on the field.

Gotcha.

Good grief people. Butch's cliches drive me just as nuts as everyone; I said as much on here yesterday. He's a coach speak machine and it gets tiresome.

But in this instance, put in context, Butch was complementing the senior class and how much these guys meant to Tennessee football. How they were champions of life because they are going to be college graduates. He pointed out how much they brought from a leadership and stability standpoint to this program. He said he was indebted to them and they are Vols for Life and he hoped to be a part of their lives for many years to come.

He wasn't claiming some sort of mythical championship or downplaying the significance of the conference title. He simply complimented our graduating seniors, who are about to leave college and embark upon their next journey in life.

THIS. My goodness - I would never have believed I'd see this in my life - see so many people, our own damn fans, tear apart everything our coach says. What is wrong with us???

Add to this the way we tear apart our team - anytime any one says something positive about something the team does, the piranhas quickly arrive to pick apart everything good by pointing out anything bad that happened in the last four years.

I've always been soooo proud of VolNation - not so proud right now. I think I need to go spend some time in the Pub.

Last edited:
All coaches use clichés and phrases, it makes 18 year old kids remember them. How many times did we hear "Working Like Heck" from Phil Fulmer his last year?

By the way Butch is right, most of those kids are not going pro. They now have a college education and the opportunity to make their lives better. I would say that is winning.

Nm, after going back and reading the context of what he was responding to, it was not so bad.

Gary was clearly taking him out of context to get "hits" on his article.

Last edited:
Please don't EVER think that Gary Parrish is legitimate. He IS NOT a valid source for anything related to the Vols.,,you got to trust me on that one.

Good grief people. Butch's cliches drive me just as nuts as everyone; I said as much on here yesterday. He's a coach speak machine and it gets tiresome.

But in this instance, put in context, Butch was complementing the senior class and how much these guys meant to Tennessee football. How they were champions of life because they are going to be college graduates. He pointed out how much they brought from a leadership and stability standpoint to this program. He said he was indebted to them and they are Vols for Life and he hoped to be a part of their lives for many years to come.

He wasn't claiming some sort of mythical championship or downplaying the significance of the conference title. He simply complimented our graduating seniors, who are about to leave college and embark upon their next journey in life.

Good luck convincing the "true fan" and negas.

VN Store

Back