Good article about 5 star kids liking Heupel, dislike Saban and the $$$ flow, etc

You don't know.....for every one that went broke...a thousand didn't, statically speaking Your comment isn't likely to happen....again, You clearly didn't think this through.
Sports Illustrated estimated that about 80% of retired NFL players go broke within three years of leaving the league. Here's an article written about it for Forbes by super-agent Leigh Steinberg (the guy Jerry Maguire was based on).

As Leigh points out, HIS clients don't go broke, but that's because (a) he tends to represent the mega-successful players who stay in the league far longer than normal, and (b) part of his popularity as an agent is that he has a lifetime approach to their finances, setting them up for success long after they hang up the cleats.

SI's 80% may not be precise. It's just one estimate. Kiplinger has another; it says 78%. So probably that's a good ballpark.

Hope this helps in your conversation with SpaceCoastVol.

Go Vols!

p.s. fun fact, for me at least: I once worked with Leigh Steinberg's brother, Jim, who was a career ambassador with State Department. Every weekend in the summer when I mow, I wear an old State Department ball cap he gave me like 20 years ago.

Most of the people they interviewed were down-to-Earth and cared more about relationships with the coaches and their future than NIL.

But then there's the one dude at the end who when asked "what should be different?" was just like "WE NEED MORE MONEY! LOTS MORE MONEY!!!" I LOL'd. If you're making over $50k / year as an 18 year old, it's not "more money" that you need. Most of them don't even know what to do with it yet.

The one thing I will say about NIL --- I bet it makes it easier to weed out the head cases and the kids that don't actually care about football. The guys that will choose 1 school over another because he gets offered $80k at one and $90k at the other is probably the guy you don't want. Or the guy who cares more about seeing a Lambo than who coaches him --- you don't want him. And I mean, I'd love to take a Lambo out for a test drive, but I can't imagine making a decision on a school because of that.

If you need a Lambo for verification, you have a serious flaw. I wouldn't have one. My Lexus suits me just fine, and never has to go to the shop for repair.

Reactions: Ratvol
Sports Illustrated estimated that about 80% of retired NFL players go broke within three years of leaving the league. Here's an article written about it for Forbes by super-agent Leigh Steinberg (the guy Jerry Maguire was based on).

As Leigh points out, HIS clients don't go broke, but that's because (a) he tends to represent the mega-successful players who stay in the league far longer than normal, and (b) part of his popularity as an agent is that he has a lifetime approach to their finances, setting them up for success long after they hang up the cleats.

SI's 80% may not be precise. It's just one estimate. Kiplinger has another; it says 78%. So probably that's a good ballpark.

Hope this helps in your conversation with SpaceCoastVol.

Go Vols!

p.s. fun fact, for me at least: I once worked with Leigh Steinberg's brother, Jim, who was a career ambassador with State Department. Every weekend in the summer when I mow, I wear an old State Department ball cap he gave me like 20 years ago.
So, of this estimated 80%... they made 750k for 3-4 years on average, and they just ceased to exist after they left the league ?

So, of this estimated 80%... they made 750k for 3-4 years on average, and they just ceased to exist after they left the league ?
Well, the PEOPLE don't cease to exist. But their funds do.

My understanding is, it's really easy to get caught up in "the life" while on an NFL team. Rich houses, expensive cars, tons of bling, buying houses for a dozen family members, high rolling nights on the town...

...and even after the player is cut from the NFL, it's tough to go back to living within reduced means. A lot stay on the scene, burning through any money they did have saved up or invested. Within a year or two, maybe three...they're broke.

Pity that it ever happens that way, you and I say "Helll, I could live very comfortably on say $100k/year, and invest the rest, be rich for life." But we're not tempted as they are, surrounded by friends living fancy....

*shrug* it is what it is.

Last edited:
All smoke and mirrors until all the 5 and 4 stars start coming to TN instead of Bama

My understanding is, it's really easy to get caught up in "the life" while on an NFL team. Rich houses, expensive cars, tons of bling, buying houses for a dozen family members, high rolling nights on the town...

Indeed. I recall being astounded by the stories of NBA basketball players who would get into town for a game, go to the Walmart or Best Buy, purchase a brand new Playstation or Xbox -- maybe even a new television to go with it -- and then leave everything in the hotel when they checked out.

It wasn't that I didn't understand the financials; they make six figures a month, it's a negligible expense for 20-30 road games, they bust their rears for who knows how many hours per week, so when it came to entertainment they just paid it and moved on. I got that. I can write the numbers on a napkin and understand it.

It was more just the ability to handwave a thousand bucks in such a fashion. To be sure, that behavior's not limited to athletes. I've been around some very wealthy folks, and I've experienced the "we'll just leave it here and let someone else take care of it" mindset plenty of times before. Just ... damn. I can't imagine going from that world, to living on a budget, and making it successfully. Impulse control is bad enough for us normies. I can't imagine what it's like when you (1) come from nothing and (2) suddenly start seeing five or six figure deposits on statements. It's no wonder so many fail to survive it.

...and even after the player is cut from the NFL, it's tough to go back to living within reduced means. A lot stay on the scene, burning through any money they did have saved up or invested. Within a year or two, maybe three...they're broke.

Pity that it ever happens that way, you and I say "Helll, I could live very comfortably on say $100k/year, and invest the rest, be rich for life." But we're not tempted as they are, surrounded by friends living fancy....

This conversation definitely has some nuance that would add context. On it's face.....750k may be life changing money, but it sure isn't life sustaining...not for a twenty something year old....particularly in this day and age.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
NIL IMO just made it easier for the rest of college football to openly do what Bama has been doing all along. Bama and the Bear's son had it down to a fine science.
Also explains why nickie has stayed at turd for seventeen years. He has never stayed anywhere long.

So… There was the outkick article a couple of days ago, that absolutely blasted any high school kid that shows to say they didn’t mesh with Sabin. That was one of the most pathetic boot licking jobs I have ever seen by a journalist. The fact that kids mesh with some and not with others just makes them human. Nick Saban is not above reproach. He won the most games up until a few years ago because he had a staggering talent advantage in every game Bama played. But, the kids were the real losers here. They would make all these promises to kids, but when the kid went through that first season and realized he was not on the two deep and the guy ahead of him still had 2–3 more years of eligibility, in many cases, it would’ve been in their best interest to transfer. Many of these kids could’ve been starring elsewhere, but they were stuck as nothing more than providing depth at Bama.

Saban built his empire by essentially forcing kids to put their lives on hold for two years should they choose to transfer. Those kids were essentially forced to sit for several years before they’d have a reasonable chance to play.

It’s all changed now with the transfer portal, giving the kids immediate eligibility without the old coach, having to agree, and of course, NIL opportunities.

It’s crazy some of our fans hate on the current state of college football without recognizing these new rules benefit teams like Tennessee the most. Teams that have all the resources, but are outside the upper echelon looking in. Nowadays, Tennessee has a much more comparable team on the field. Bama and uga are still winning on NSD and maybe overall roster talent. But the starters on offense and defense aren’t that difference.

You're on to something. It depends on how much money is flowing to a player. But let's say a player lives in California or New York and has a stars contract. The feds take about 50% in taxes. The state comes in with a high tax rate around 10%. Some places local taxes can get another few % points as well. Then the agent gets 10 to 15%. These are just off the top. So before the player gets to enjoy the fruits of his labors depending on where he lives, he doesn't get a dime until almost 75% of it is gone. For example Atlanta had a primo pitcher a few years back whose contract allowed him to be a free agent. Atlanta did everything possible to resign the guy but one of the LA teams signed him away for more money. The season kicked off and it wasn't but a few months later the pitcher was in front of the cameras with tears streaming down his cheeks complaining he left a team he loved for more money and it turned out he was in reality getting much less when the paycheck arrived. All money is not good money.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You're on to something. It depends on how much money is flowing to a player. But let's say a player lives in California or New York and has a stars contract. The feds take about 50% in taxes. The state comes in with a high tax rate around 10%. Some places local taxes can get another few % points as well. Then the agent gets 10 to 15%. These are just off the top. So before the player gets to enjoy the fruits of his labors depending on where he lives, he doesn't get a dime until almost 75% of it is gone. For example Atlanta had a primo pitcher a few years back whose contract allowed him to be a free agent. Atlanta did everything possible to resign the guy but one of the LA teams signed him away for more money. The season kicked off and it wasn't but a few months later the pitcher was in front of the cameras with tears streaming down his cheeks complaining he left a team he loved for more money and it turned out he was in reality getting much less when the paycheck arrived. All money is not good money.
Yah, brother.

That's why they say, "work in the city, retire to the country."

Retirement savings, however earned, are usually based on a percentage of pay while active in the job. So the bigger the paycheck (and they have to be big when you live in high-cost-of-living places), the more retirement you set aside.

Then, when you retire to a small town or the country, especially in a state like Tennessee with no income tax, your money goes much further because the cost of living is way lower.

I'm positive you knew all that. Just mentioning it for some younger readers who might not have gotten that advice yet.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
So nobody likes Saban. Wonder how he was able to recruit so well in the beginning...

LOL Ok Chief. You do know that professional athletes with agents and lawyers and money men around everywhere go broke a couple of years out of the league doncha? But I'm sure an average 18 year old that suddenly finds he 'won the lottery' will fare much better.
Yeah, his response was a little crazy- 18 year olds are not known for their money management prowess… or 38 year olds for that matter 😂… stating that someone needs to be present with a level head and sound advice or it will be poof is not an outrageous assertion

LOL Ok Chief. You do know that professional athletes with agents and lawyers and money men around everywhere go broke a couple of years out of the league doncha? But I'm sure an average 18 year old that suddenly finds he 'won the lottery' will fare much better.

So what? As much money that flows through college football and basketball why shouldn’t the players who are the product get a slice. What they do with it is their prerogative.

Why do you hate capitalism?

So the premise put forward Is Saban is not liked as well as Heupel is by five star recruits.

Since Saban out recruits us more for these type players every year than has Heupel perhaps we need something along the line as follows.

Perhaps Heupel works to becomes liked less than Saban by five star players so he can get more of them than Saban does now.

Neither premise passes the red face test for credibility imo.

Reactions: TrojanorVol
So the premise put forward Is Saban is not liked as well as Heupel is by five star recruits.

Since Saban out recruits us more for these type players every year than has Heupel perhaps we need something along the line as follows.

Perhaps Heupel works to becomes liked less than Saban by five star players so he can get more of them than Saban does now.

Neither premise passes the red face test for credibility imo.
Remy, if liking/disliking the head coach were the only factor in play, I would think you were on to something.

But there are a ton of factors.

We don't need Heup to be less likeable. We just need to catch up to Bama and UGa in all those other factors.

That doesn't change the "premise" (really just an observation based on these players' responses) that Heup is more likeable than Saban, and that that probably helps us in recruiting. Even if it's not the only thing at play.

Go Vols!

My word. I don’t know that I’ve seen someone get more butthurt over a more generally innocent statement in all my years on this site. Seems like an awfully odd hill to die on.

VN Store

Back