Has a Tennessee QB ever caused as many internal fan arguments as JG?

I remember the days when Matt sims and crompton was our qbs. We was lucky to get past midfield. JG needs to work on his consistency but he’s still better then those guys.
Remember when Crompton threw 5 tds and we routed georgia? Didn’t think so...

This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Crompton comes to mind. Casey Clausen maybe? Ainge? Inconsistency seems to be the key to sparking debates and JG is rolling in it.
I'm sure back in the pre internet days that folks argued just as much, it just wasn't beamed around the world in a split second.

Crompton imo. He was really highly recruited and didn’t do anything until Kiffin came to town. Meachem made him look like a future star in one of his first lengthy amount of playing time.

The Clawffense was the worst idea ever sprung on Vol fans. An offense with multiple NFL skill players was absolutely horrible. The Auburn game that year set football back 30 yrs. Sadly, like 2005, a pretty good defense was wasted.

Reactions: jarnol32
The Clawffense was the worst idea ever sprung on Vol fans. An offense with multiple NFL skill players was absolutely horrible. The Auburn game that year set football back 30 yrs. Sadly, like 2005, a pretty good defense was wasted.
The crazy thing is, the Clawfense worked everywhere else he tried to implement it.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
There is no next Joe Burrow. If I had to pick most improved QB in the SEC, I'd go with Kellen Mond. I think Aggs will be 2nd best in the West next year, Bama 1st.
People who believe in Kellen Mond are like people who believe in Bigfoot. They passionately argue for their cause, but when pressed for evidence, they just get a blank, clueless stare on their face.....like a Democrat at a Congressional hearing.

This talk makes me happy to think about the 2004 season. Ainge v. Schaeffer would've been hotly debated had Brent not separated his shoulder. That was a fantastic QB battle.

Reactions: Remy
This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Crompton comes to mind. Casey Clausen maybe? Ainge? Inconsistency seems to be the key to sparking debates and JG is rolling in it.
Its funny how soon people forget.. Dobbs was the same until about halfway through his Junior season and even into his senior season the Dobbs haters club was large. Honestly, I feel like the whole JG thing is a continuation of that. Dobbs was saved more because of his personality and his media presence. As a person, he was really hard to dislike, but people did their best for a while on him. JG has never really had much presence off the field. It's not like he's a bad guy, all signs point to him being likeable. He is tough as nails but he does not have that feel good origin story to make people see him as a person that Dobbs had to win folks over.

They also had one other thing in common that I think hurt them in the eyes of a lot of fans.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Its funny how soon people forget.. Dobbs was the same until about halfway through his Junior season and even into his senior season the Dobbs haters club was large. Honestly, I feel like the whole JG thing is a continuation of that. Dobbs was saved more because of his personality and his media presence. As a person, he was really hard to dislike, but people did their best for a while on him. JG has never really had much presence off the field. It's not like he's a bad guy, all signs point to him being likeable. He is tough as nails but he does not have that feel good origin story to make people see him as a person that Dobbs had to win folks over.

They also had one other thing in common that I think hurt them in the eyes of a lot of fans.
What is the one other thing?

Reactions: whodeycin85

I ended up really liking Dobbs, but no one seems to remember how turnover-prone he was. Especially in late, big-game moments.

We didn't have the internet, back then. But, the debate over Sterling Henton vs Andy Kelly, was pretty heated. I got called a racist POS for siding with Andy. I think the rest is history, on that.

Reactions: wmcovol
This talk makes me happy to think about the 2004 season. Ainge v. Schaeffer would've been hotly debated had Brent not separated his shoulder. That was a fantastic QB battle.

Schaeffer IMO was a better Dobbs than Dobbs was. That shoulder thing paved the way for Ainge who didn't get it back together after that one hit until his senior year.

Reactions: amaralfan1
Hear me out. I think JG has the tools to be a successful quarterback but his ego got in the way. Going into last season he felt he needed to make up for any deficiencies with the receiving corps and did to much. He threw late because he didn't trust them and threw into coverage because he felt "he" had to win the game not the team.
You saw it at Alabama with the audible/fumble but at the end of the year he played within the system and did what was asked and found success. I think this year he comes in and follows the system rather than try to be the savior and we are all pleasantly surprised.
Flame away
Deficiencies with the recieving corps? He had two receivers that more than likely will take snaps on Sunday and a TE that is gonna at the least bounce around some practice squads for a year or two. His third option at WR may very well end up drafted this coming year as well.

Schaeffer IMO was a better Dobbs than Dobbs was. That shoulder thing paved the way for Ainge who didn't get it back together after that one hit until his senior year.
Ainge was pretty solid his Junior year. He came out on fire against Cal. That was a rare awesome start to the season. We destroyed them in that game vaulted up the rankings too.

VN Store

Back