Has a Tennessee QB ever caused as many internal fan arguments as JG?

Oh yeah Crompton took a beating, death threats toward he and his family just a bunch of garbage, I was lucky enough to be around the program alot when Coach Fulmer was leading the guys, Johnathan and I were able to speak regularly and it truly was awful some of the things being said to him or about him, I love coach Fulmer but what Kiffin was able to do with him was incredible. I look at JG the same way I love the kid and he has talent he's just in his own head most of the time he'll be fine, he's a great guy and he truly has been putting in the time and work. Even after alot of the negatives toward him (some of which are warranted minus the name calling,booing etc.) He loves Tennessee and that says alot considering what he's endured here.

Oh yeah Crompton took a beating, death threats toward he and his family just a bunch of garbage, I was lucky enough to be around the program alot when Coach Fulmer was leading the guys, Johnathan and I were able to speak regularly and it truly was awful some of the things being said to him or about him, I love coach Fulmer but what Kiffin was able to do with him was incredible. I look at JG the same way I love the kid and he has talent he's just in his own head most of the time he'll be fine, he's a great guy and he truly has been putting in the time and work. Even after alot of the negatives toward him (some of which are warranted minus the name calling,booing etc.) He loves Tennessee and that says alot considering what he's endured here.
Were cromptons death threat verified??

Brent Schaeffer vs Erik Ainge anybody?

Another example of Vol fan lack of judgement regarding qbs. Schaefer went like 16 straight possessions without the team getting a first down yet fans wanted him to play more.

When he transferred from JC to Ole Miss, moran Bill King said he was 2nd best QB in the league in 2006. By end of the year, Coach O had moved him to WR he was so bad.

A lot of VN posters either forgot or didn't pay attention to the head case Crompton was coming in to that final season. His mojo or confidence level could get no lower. They ( Ithnk UTAD rather than Kiffen) scheduled him to work with the NFL's Sam Wyche during the off season to get his head back on straight. Granted Kiffen does deserve a lot of credit concerning Crompton's resurgence, but Wyche should get at least a pat on the back or mention in his recovery as well IMO.

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
Majority of Vol fans wanted Brandon Stewart over Peyton Manning in the middle of their freshmen year.

That alone should disqualify Vol fans from bitchin about QBs.
It should also remind them that their predictions are simply opinions and far from the way things actually play out. You never know who’s the best until they’ve all had equal opportunity.

I feel like the reason this kid gets so much hate is because he was so highly rated coming out of prep school. The fans (including myself) feel like we were sold a bill of goods because he never performed or stood out on the field the way his ranking suggested. I have to take my hat off to the young man for not giving up though. He will always be in my mind a VFL.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Crompton comes to mind. Casey Clausen maybe? Ainge? Inconsistency seems to be the key to sparking debates and JG is rolling in it.

I think the availability of platforms to publicly discuss and argue have multiplied exponentially. I think fans have always been opinionated about UT quarterbacks. It’s just the nature of the position. That being said, JGs inconsistency has been particularly frustrating. He can be pretty good and then absolute garbage. I that inconsistency is what drives most fans crazy about him.

Ehhhh.... Clausen had his share of detractors for sure.
Yep I wasn't on Volnation at the time but I remember a lot of complaints that he held the ball too long and took too many sacks. I always liked Casey but you also gotta remember our fan base was just spoiled with Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning and Tee Martin the decade before so fans were extremely nit picky.

So JG can have multiple bad plays but the defense has one massive breakdown, so that gives JG a pass?
The point that was being made is we should have won that game even with the bad play from JG. Alontea Taylor getting lost and letting the WR run right past him sealed the deal. A missed tackle that would have kept BYU out of FG range finished it off. That being said, this thread went exactly where I figured it would.

Last edited:
This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Probably the longest-running fan-dividing debate involving a Tennessee QB was argued over from 1999 all the way until mid-2005.

That QB would be Randy Sanders.

I understand if you want to throw stats at me, and that 16&8 and 60% really isn’t bad. I think I can say 17-28 176 yards 2/1 vs BYU isn’t bad either when you look at the Box score after the game. The reality of watching that 2 td 1 pick game was that it was maybe his worst game other than UF. There’s no denying the 2 tds, they are in the books(although barely on the one to JJ), but why weren’t there 4 or 5 tds and maybe he’s 16-21 for 250-300 yards?

His turnovers aren’t really in abundance, but the timeliness of them has been catastrophic. So yeah, the stats are ok, but I don’t think they always tell the whole story.

I really hope he can take the next step(like Crompton did his SR year) and 16 becomes 24 and 8 maybe becomes 6. That’s 4/1 instead of 2/1. I don’t think that is unreasonable to ask of him as a Rs SR because I think that was attainable last season.
That would be a great game vs BYU not a good game. BYU was one of his worst games and still had us in position to win.

He was ok. He had some great games and a few bad games. That equals average. he was ok

I also think the O.C. plays into this a lot. Square pegs in round holes, like:

1. Why did Justin Worley do the read option thing if he was never going to run?
2. Crompton running the Clawfence back in 2008.
3. Tyler Bray's chunking beer bottles at vehicles in the parking lot of his apt and some ski jet indiscretions had more to do with the hate towards him.
4. Why did Peterman play against Florida in his first action again?

That would be a great game vs BYU not a good game. BYU was one of his worst games and still had us in position to win.

He was ok. He had some great games and a few bad games. That equals average. he was ok

I think my point was that the defense should not have been in a position to bust a coverage late in the BYU game because it shouldn’t have been in question.

This season we’re gonna need him to be better than ok. We may need him to win a game in a 2 minute situation or make a play like he did against UK that seals the game, but he cannot lose games for us.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
A lot of VN posters either forgot or didn't pay attention to the head case Crompton was coming in to that final season. His mojo or confidence level could get no lower. They ( Ithnk UTAD rather than Kiffen) scheduled him to work with the NFL's Sam Wyche during the off season to get his head back on straight. Granted Kiffen does deserve a lot of credit concerning Crompton's resurgence, but Wyche should get at least a pat on the back or mention in his recovery as well IMO.
Definitely agree

C'mon kid. You have to be somewhat objective.

BYU....by anyone's standards outside of yours and Pulaski's and a couple others on here.....will never be considered a great game for the QB. That game should have NEVER been in question at the end.

You said BYU was a great game but one of his worst games. Which is it? His worst games are atrociously, helmet grabbing, getting him benched bad. How was it a also great game?

Nate Peterman? I mean breaking news spoiler alert, we’re not coming close to the playoffs this year, so why not give JG his second year with Chaney to try to go out on a high note.

I don't know how these people can constantly debate about the guy the way they do. Do you have jobs? Don't you have anything better to do?

Reactions: wmcovol
There is no next Joe Burrow. If I had to pick most improved QB in the SEC, I'd go with Kellen Mond. I think Aggs will be 2nd best in the West next year, Bama 1st.

VN Store

Back