Haynsworth calling out the staff

Yep, that's where I'm coming from. I would like to know if he's welcome at practice or not, would answer alot about this for me.

Are you serious? Butch is so intimidated by vocal opposition that he probably has UTPD up in the crows nest at the practice field ready to tranq dart AH if he ever shows up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
True. Shoop, too. CBJ assists with special teams (or has in the past) and that unit is typically very strong.

Weird.

Maybe he needs to be an NFL ST's coach at his next stop?

I'm not being malicious or facetious... but I think Jones' personality may suit the NFL more than CFB.

LL #1 was criticizing the decision to line up couple of yards off the ball to this morning on the radio.

CBJ has said "it's a game of inches".

Albert did the program no favors with his public emotional rant. It won't help recruiting.
It won't hurt recruiting nearly as bad as a subpar performance by Jones again this season. He really needs to OVERPERFORM for once. For four straight years, he has left at least one winnable game on the field. Last year was the worst. Do you think recruits need AH to tell them that? They've heard it non-stop from rival recruiters.

He unlike most fans can get access to the coaching staff to share his views and may effect some change. After this outburst I doubt CBJ wants to talk with him.
Maybe he or others have tried?

Albert played on very talented deep teams that man on man could match up with any other team. Injuries were a nonissue as players waited for their opportunity. We are not that deep and can't afford to loose our best players in game 1 to a chop block. The bottom line on the Tech game was win with no injuries. We did that.
Maybe you can correct me but I don't remember those players spending half their careers injured...

We have played two games aginst running teams. We have yet to see the Tenneeess D. Albert should go to practice and see what they are doing before spouting off. Shoop is an attacking coach and will attack FL.

I actually don't disagree with you here. I think UT's D could be better than it has shown. With their "plan" to work in young players, the ISU game wasn't exactly a disaster. They still didn't set the edge well but under 50% passing and 3.2 ypc isn't awful while playing a lot of back ups.

Maybe he needs to be an NFL ST's coach at his next stop?

I'm not being malicious or facetious... but I think Jones' personality may suit the NFL more than CFB.

I think he would excel in that role. What is it about his personality that makes him more Suited to the Pro game though?

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that ones character flaws means their proven knowledge of a subject should be dismissed?

You can find folks that are largely successful in an area with major character flaws in another, i don't see how the two things are related.

Ok, let me put it this way. If you were a Father of a kid, and he had an interest in playing football, would you want him around a John Henderson or an Albert Haynesworth? Or if you had a kid who wanted to be a boxer, would you want him around a Mike Tyson? You may not care about who is allowed to influence you son while he is still learning to make the right choices, but most good Fathers are.

Plenty of athletes are flawed. We have had a couple of former Vols driving DUI that caused deaths. Will I listen to their views? Yeah. That happened off the field. I don't approve of what they did, and I hope they are doing things that might prevent others from doing the same thing.

But what Haynesworth did threatens the game. What would happen if 2 or 3 other guys had done the same kind of crap right after him? Boxing has never been the same since Tyson's ear biting. It's popularity went straight to Hell right after that. Concussion issues are eroding both sports anyway. But Haynesworth's actions was just as or more insane than Tyson's biting. You proud a VFL did that? I sure as Hell am not.

I will tell you this; if I were a recruit's father, an Albert Haynesworth being in contact with the program and players in any way would scare me off. In fact, it would certainly make me more welcoming of coaches from other programs despite my love for the Vols. I hope that makes a smidgin of sense to you. Because I find your support and defense of him appaling.

Reactions: 4 people
Honestly the only ones calling out Butch are the negas who look for any negative drama causing articles they can find to get attention. This is stupid. You define you. Stop reading this mess.

Reactions: 2 people
Ok, let me put it this way. If you were a Father of a kid, and he had an interest in playing football, would you want him around a John Henderson or an Albert Haynesworth? Or if you had a kid who wanted to be a boxer, would you want him around a Mike Tyson? You may not care about who is allowed to influence you son while he is still learning to make the right choices, but most good Fathers are.

Plenty of athletes are flawed. We have had a couple of former Vols driving DUI that caused deaths. Will I listen to their views? Yeah. That happened off the field. I don't approve of what they did, and I hope they are doing things that might prevent others from doing the same thing.

But what Haynesworth did threatens the game. What would happen if 2 or 3 other guys had done the same kind of crap right after him? Boxing has never been the same since Tyson's ear biting. It's popularity went straight to Hell right after that. Concussion issues are eroding both sports anyway. But Haynesworth's actions was just as or more insane than Tyson's biting. You proud a VFL did that? I sure as Hell am not.

I will tell you this; if I were a recruit's father, an Albert Haynesworth being in contact with the program and players in any way would scare me off. In fact, it would certainly make me more welcoming of coaches from other programs despite my love for the Vols. I hope that makes a smidgin of sense to you. Because I find your support and defense of him appaling.

Boxing, especially heavyweight, went to crap because there were no more Tysons or even Holyfields. It became extremely boring.

Exactly. His likeability has no bearing on whether he's right or not. Just like the fact that he was a 6-6 300-pound defensive tackle who had some football success at Tennessee doesn't make him Bill Belichick.

He makes some good points, but they aren't any more valid just because he played tackle here.

Sorry Freak, I agree with you probably 90% of the time. But, I do think his statements have A LITTLE MORE VALIDITY due to the fact that he played the position he is referencing. It isn't like he is some snotty nosed teenager on here trying to be a know it all like some do on VolNation. However, I do agree with you that he shouldn't have said it publicly. It isn't helping the program. Maybe he knows that UT will line up and be aggressive vs FL and didn't show a thing to FL schematically. That COULD make some believe the staff took his advice. But, I for one think them lining up on the ball and being disruptive on D has been Shoop's game plan all along against UF and UGA as well as other tough opponents!!! =) I think we see a different D vs UF no matter what has been said by anyone. I am hoping we held back on D and feel like we have A LOT MORE WRINKLES on O that we will see vs UF tomorrow. Of course, I have always wore Orange Colored Glasses!!! =)

Last edited:
When Haynsworth first came to Titans, he had Coach Washburn who worked with him and had a real connection. Will never forget his goal line leap frog play and sickened by seeing the face stomp play as well as reading about the numerous road rage incidents. Hope he has some stability in his life now. When Titans brought back many former players to honor at halftime, don't remember seeing him.

Boxing, especially heavyweight, went to crap because there were no more Tysons or even Holyfields. It became extremely boring.

Exactly.. Boxing sucked long before Tyson snacked on EH's ear. It was always more popular when you had a dominate heavyweight champion.. Tyson brought it back from the dead and it fell back off when he hit the skids..

I get the point of view but it still doesnt change is knowledge of the game. There is another prominate VFL that constantly gives his opinion and is excepted very well and i wouldnt want my children anywhere near him.

My main point is that when a VFL offers a negative opinion we jump straight to character assasination, but we seem to overlook that when a positive opinion id expressed.

I think he would excel in that role. What is it about his personality that makes him more Suited to the Pro game though?

He just seems to act that way and gravitate to professional coaches and references. Not easy to define. Just a "feeling".

Sorry Freak, I agree with you probably 90% of the time. But, I do think his statements have A LITTLE MORE VALIDITY due to the fact that he played the position he is referencing. It isn't like he is some snotty nosed teenager on here trying to be a know it all like some do on VolNation. However, I do agree with you that he shouldn't have said it publicly. It isn't helping the program. Maybe he knows that UT will line up and be aggressive vs FL and didn't show a thing to FL schematically. That COULD make some believe the staff took his advice. But, I for one think them lining up on the ball and being disruptive on D has been Shoop's game plan all along against UF and UGA as well as other tough opponents!!! =) I think we see a different D vs UF no matter what has been said by anyone. I am hoping we held back on D and feel like we have A LOT MORE WRINKLES on O that we will see vs UF tomorrow. Of course, I have always wore Orange Colored Glasses!!! =)

If you give him credibility as a former player, does that lend credibility to coaches and their decisions?

The same guy who tore off a guys helmet and raked his cleats across the guys face? Yeah he had some of the worst penalties in football history. Great player for UT but he is not a mastermind.

Shades of Butkus and night train. Screw smarts.....give me mean and nasty every day.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, you guys are amazing slamming a former great Vol player and obvious proud alumnus who only wants the best for his program and wants them to win and succeed.

Got any film from 2007 or 2008 when he was 1st team all-pro and arguably the most dominant Defensive lineman in the NFL?

This is all the Butch loyalist have to stand on. AH was right and they pick out a play here and there and they want to talk about that, like that will discredit what AH said. The Butch loyalist Reminds me of CNN aka (fake news) When somebody says something they don't like. They want to divert the attention away from what AH said and talk about his play or what he did in the NFL. If Peyton had made this same statement then people would be praising him and ready to fire Butch.

This is all the Butch loyalist have to stand on. AH was right and they pick out a play here and there and they want to talk about that, like that will discredit what AH said. The Butch loyalist Reminds me of CNN aka (fake news) When somebody says something they don't like. They want to divert the attention away from what AH said and talk about his play or what he did in the NFL. If Peyton had made this same statement then people would be praising him and ready to fire Butch.

Once again, I don't know what to say. If you take a second and just assess the facts, it is pretty easy to see the guy is trying hard to be relevant after crossing over from VFL great to potential Hall of Famer to "expert". I support our guys and I still remember Reggie White standing in the Alumni Circle Auditorium in front of all of us telling us in 1982 explaining how and why we should love being a part of the Vols, but that would be when AH was only a baby. What I do know, is Reggie would have no problem having a sit down with him, just like he did with a very famous punter who Coach Majors called out at that same meeting, and telling him to get it together. I know there are many athlete Alumni who remember that moment vividly!

When Tyson came in, the heavyweight division became boring. Middleweights and welterweights became most of the main events for while. But the interest in pay per views sharply dropped after the ear biting. MMA came along to fill the void.

It was VERY serious since it was the first year the NCAA sent representatives to explain the PED testing and rules. If anyone else recalls, RW was the center of attention, front row and certainly not bashful about standing up and making light of the gathering of all of the athletes. He was not only a great guy, but also, very funny!

VN Store

Back