Heath Shuler is coming to Atlanta

The real beneficiaries are the young men and women who want to go to UT. The scholarship funds raised will make a difference to them, and to UT as it tries to recruit the best students. Al Wilson, James Berry, Charles Davis and others have helped us in years past and we appreciate it when any Vol wants to make a difference.

Reactions: 1 person
That's nice of him.

He gets free PR and a huge tax write off which he'll double or more.

I enjoyed watching him play but I have no use for any member of the Liar Limo Liberal brigade.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

This cynical post needs to be moved to another forum. Political, preferably.

Seriously guys? Save the politics for somewhere else. The OP is just trying to get the word out for a worthy cause.

Reactions: 6 people
Seriously guys? Save the politics for somewhere else. The OP is just trying to get the word out for a worthy cause.

Thank you very much. Frankly, this entire thread, beyond the inital post about the event, needs to go in the toilet.

Heath Shuler's politics are known because he became involved in politics and as a result a good many people hate him now. Meanwhile, other former players keep their political views to themselves and they are thought of more highly as a result. Wow, what a great group of fans we are.

Here's what I remember about Heath. His athleticism and heart were Phil Fulmer's springboard to a great run a UT.

VFL :hi:

Reactions: 4 people
He "retired" b/c he was going to get defeated in the 2012 Congressional elections. His democrat seat was filled with a republican. He saw the handwriting on the wall and left with life-time benefits (at the taxpayers' expense). Now he's a wonderful lobbyist in Congress. Just what we need - more people buying votes from corrupt politicians.

All dems aren't libs just as all repubs aren't self centered a$$holes.Buying elections….the koch bros. :shakehead:

Reactions: 2 people

Thanks, GAVol... seems, lately, most conversations end up in a tug of war over opinions....

Thank you very much. Frankly, this entire thread, beyond the inital post about the event, needs to go in the toilet.

Heath Shuler's politics are known because he became involved in politics and as a result a good many people hate him now. Meanwhile, other former players keep their political views to themselves and they are thought of more highly as a result. Wow, what a great group of fans we are.

Mention politics or religion the conversation gets nasty quickly. :thud:

A lot of hate in here for a guy that busted his azz of UT. I don't get it. Because of politics? Seriously? So players that are accused of rape, we go to the mats for. A guy that was a democrat, he can go @#$# himself. Got it.

Amen, VolGrad500.

Check your political leanings at the Neyland Stadium gates, folks. Heath Shuler is a proud Vol, and I'm proud to have had him with the team. I don't care what color his skin is, how young or old, what religious or political leaning he has. I don't care what state he came from or where he's living today. He's a Tennessee Vol. For life. He bleeds orange, and I bleed orange, and that's enough for me. It should be enough for all of us.

Leave all the complications at the gate. Come on in, and be polite, respectful and loyal to fellow Vols.

Reactions: 6 people
Amen, VolGrad500.

Check your political leanings at the Neyland Stadium gates, folks. Heath Shuler is a proud Vol, and I'm proud to have had him with the team. I don't care what color his skin is, how young or old, what religious or political leaning he has. I don't care what state he came from or where he's living today. He's a Tennessee Vol. For life. He bleeds orange, and I bleed orange, and that's enough for me. It should be enough for all of us.

Leave all the complications at the gate. Come on in, and be polite, respectful and loyal to fellow Vols.

You hit a homer on this post, Homer.
A like for you.

I am a conservative, and Heath is one of my all time favorite Vols. Politics belongs over there...not here.

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks for your opinion my friend.

Unfortunately you have it all wrong.

Being truthful, factual and honest on something isn't being negative minded, just telling it like it is.

As to my being negative minded, nothing could be more incorrect.

Fact is that years ago I was in sales and management and I traveled the country.

Part of what I did was teach classes/seminars on time management, goal setting and developing a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA).

Everyone should set realistic goals, work to reach those goals and then raise those goals even higher and keep doing that to climb the ladder of success in whatever they're doing.

Being optomistic and having a Positive Mental Attitude is important but you also need a dose of reality as well so that you don't set goals too high that you can never reach them and feel the excitement of accomplishment of a job well done.

Then you raise those goals and get back to work on them again.

I'll never become a negaVol or a negative minded person but I'll always remain honest and tell the truth even if the truth hurts.

Life is tough and along the way you'll find a bed of roses sometimes but be careful my friend because along with roses comes the thorns.

It's nice to hear that somebody donated $1 Million to something but people also need to know that the $1 Million is 100% tax deductable so the person loses nothing and gets loads of free, positive PR from doing that which many people don't know or understand.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

You must really hate the people who sit in the Skyboxes, Club seats, Terrace seats, and other season ticket holders. A Tax Write off gets donations which funds your VOLS and all of the accouterments that cause the young men to matriculate to UT.:hi:

Was always my favorite (hence the user name) - we are the same age and he was the QB when I really started paying attention to UT football. He has been great in meet and greets in the past - humble and approachable.

For those on you in the Chattanooga area - I always think of the local John Deere dealer's radio commercial spots back in the day - "Nothing runs like a Deere . . . except Heath Shuler!"

That's nice of him.

He gets free PR and a huge tax write off which he'll double or more.

I enjoyed watching him play but I have no use for any member of the Liar Limo Liberal brigade.

What in the hell does this even mean?

*Edit - Sorry! I just saw the dozen or so posts that came after this clumsy attempt at political commentary.

Happy to see volnation is keeping it real and focusing on the good things Shuler is doing.

...although I'm still a little pi$$ed her left early. He could have been an all-time great for UT

Last edited:
A lot of hate in here for a guy that busted his azz of UT. I don't get it. Because of politics? Seriously? So players that are accused of rape, we go to the mats for. A guy that was a democrat, he can go @#$# himself. Got it.

Sadly, some of our fans clearly cannot get their head out of their rear for 5 seconds to recognize a VFL doing something good. It's pathetic, really.

He has told me some interesting things when I've had the opportunity to talk to him-- some old Vol stories, some NFL stuff, and some politics. I'll share two quick ones:

He didn't make excuses for his time in Washington, but he did say that Norv Turner got angry in practice when he threw touchdowns from outside the pocket. No scrambling allowed, even if it resulted in TDs.

He said he spent time with UT, Skins, Saints (Ditka), and Jon Garden's Raiders. The best coach he ever worked with was David Cutcliffe.

Sadly, some of our fans clearly cannot get their head out of their rear for 5 seconds to recognize a VFL doing something good. It's pathetic, really.

Interesting, though. With a little research I found his voting record surprisingly conservative for a Dem. I'm not from the area, though, so I'm sure y'all have a better idea of his policy.

Some people need to wake up to the reality of situations like this.

People will shake his hand, say thanks and he'll get his ego stroked and get lots of free press to make him look like he's a wonderful guy that's really giving something while all the time he's getting a big tax write off and doing this costs him nothing.

This matter is easily resolved. We'll have this poster and Hearh BOTH attend the function. We'll see who raises more. Then they can both take the tax deduction but this poster can donate his tax savings to UT. Double win for UT.

What a cynical world we live in. Guy volunteers to come help raise money for a worthy cause and all people can do is b€£%# and moan and question his motivations. Selfishness is now regarded as a virtue and selflessness is a crime.

VN Store

Back