Here we go....super league?

TNHopeful505

this particular group sounds more wishful thinking that anything else.

even the article didn't make it sound like much had been worked out. nor do they seem to even argue why their version is any better than another except for the collective bargaining.

I still think the final version of the super conference is going to have to include some serious addition by subtraction. Not even all SEC/Big 10 teams should be included.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
32 team “premier” league is around the corner
Honestly, I really liked things when they were regional. West coast teams out west. SE teams in the SE. Everyone in their spots. Just make the players employees. Negotiate a salary cap. Set logical portal calendars and negotiate limits on transfers so coaches can stay sane in dealing with their roster. Put a playoff model like lower divisions have into place. It's not that complicated. In short, go back to the old days with paying players as employees and adopt a sane set of rules and playoffs like others are so successful with.

I'm still hopeful that we circle back around to geographically contiguous conferences in time, after everyone's sick of flying 3,000 miles from Stanford to Boston College to play volleyball. Tell me Stanford and Cal aren't at a disadvantage in the ACC, when all their trips are cross-country and across three time zones, and the vast majority aren't for everyone else in the conference. That's one thing the SEC got right that everyone else is whiffing on.

Honestly, I really liked things when they were regional. West coast teams out west. SE teams in the SE. Everyone in their spots. Just make the players employees. Negotiate a salary cap. Set logical portal calendars and negotiate limits on transfers so coaches can stay sane in dealing with their roster. Put a playoff model like lower divisions have into place. It's not that complicated. In short, go back to the old days with paying players as employees and adopt a sane set of rules and playoffs like others are so successful with.

I agree totally with regard to keeping it regional, and I've always thought the most logical "end game" in football would be four regional 'super conferences' of roughly 16 teams, with the top four teams in each conference competing for the conference titles, and they having a national Final Four. It is essentially a 16-team playoff, but is all based on results and without the need of some silly "committee".

The question is why would the SEC and Big 10 go for any system that reduces their revenue, sharing it with 'lesser' schools and leagues? They hold all the cards, and anything that gets done will have to include revenue sharing that reflects their dominance of the sport.

I agree totally with regard to keeping it regional, and I've always thought the most logical "end game" in football would be four regional 'super conferences' of roughly 16 teams, with the top four teams in each conference competing for the conference titles, and they having a national Final Four. It is essentially a 16-team playoff, but is all based on results and without the need of some silly "committee".

The question is why would the SEC and Big 10 go for any system that reduces their revenue, sharing it with 'lesser' schools and leagues? They hold all the cards, and anything that gets done will have to include revenue sharing that reflects their dominance of the sport.
The Big Ten contracts really shouldn't be higher. they don't pull in good viewing outside of their top 3. I really think the idea of the markets is short sited. No one in Chicago is watching Illinois or Northwestern just because they are instate schools. Pretty much everyone in the States of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana are watching those teams because they are the in state school. Who cares if the market is 10 million people if you aren't even pulling 100,000 eyes from it?

Our schools do far better in viewership ratings than the Big 10. You have 11/14 SEC schools on this list. vs 5/14 Big Ten Schools on the list. and this is with Michigan on its way to a national title, and with traditional SEC teams like Auburn and Florida being down.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. Michigan
6. Tennessee
12. LSU
14. Penn State
15. Auburn
16. Missouri
17. Florida
18. Ole Miss
20. TAMU
21. Iowa
24. Nebraska
31. Kentucky
32. Mississippi State

point being the SEC has to actually produce more money for the add companies than the Big 10, even if the Big 10 is generally in bigger markets.

We both know the answer to that question. CFB as we knew and loved it is gone. Everything is about money now. We just have to hold our collective noses and grab what we can. What bothers me more than anything is how TV draws can and will impact games and future matchups. Of the networks want a pairing, it will happen. The best teams won't always win sometimes. Officials will be tools if the NCAA isn't.

The Big Ten contracts really shouldn't be higher. they don't pull in good viewing outside of their top 3. I really think the idea of the markets is short sited. No one in Chicago is watching Illinois or Northwestern just because they are instate schools. Pretty much everyone in the States of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana are watching those teams because they are the in state school. Who cares if the market is 10 million people if you aren't even pulling 100,000 eyes from it?

Our schools do far better in viewership ratings than the Big 10. You have 11/14 SEC schools on this list. vs 5/14 Big Ten Schools on the list. and this is with Michigan on its way to a national title, and with traditional SEC teams like Auburn and Florida being down.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. Michigan
6. Tennessee
12. LSU
14. Penn State
15. Auburn
16. Missouri
17. Florida
18. Ole Miss
20. TAMU
21. Iowa
24. Nebraska
31. Kentucky
32. Mississippi State

point being the SEC has to actually produce more money for the add companies than the Big 10, even if the Big 10 is generally in bigger markets.

Oh, I get it and completely agree, but the fact is that the SEC and Big 10 both have the massive media deals, and are now in bed together.

To me, the Big 10 was only three schools deep, and the West Coast schools are probably 4-5-6-7 now. Who's watching Northwestern-Iowa or Minnesota-Rutgers?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
We both know the answer to that question. CFB as we knew and loved it is gone. Everything is about money now. We just have to hold our collective noses and grab what we can. What bothers me more than anything is how TV draws can and will impact games and future matchups. Of the networks want a pairing, it will happen. The best teams won't always win sometimes. Officials will be tools if the NCAA isn't.

No doubt. Maybe the most disturbing thing is that most of the people involved in making big decisions about the future of college sports (network execs, politicians, college presidents, etc.) don't give a rat's ass about the games themselves, but how the money and power will be split among themselves.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Oh, I get it and completely agree, but the fact is that the SEC and Big 10 both have the massive media deals, and are now in bed together.

To me, the Big 10 was only three schools deep, and the West Coast schools are probably 4-5-6-7 now. Who's watching Northwestern-Iowa or Minnesota-Rutgers?
agreed. NO ONE is watching those regional games. However games like Mississippi State vs Ole Miss are classics and will draw plenty of eyes outside the state. you got to think adding Texas will draw a lot of outside eyes to the games with some of their old rivals.

Oregon/Washington/USC vs Ohio State/Michigan/Pennstate will draw big eyes, but there is no natural rivalry that is going to draw in a lot of attention outside of those games.

If someone asked Europe to handle it:

1712340292417.png

Everyone plays everyone else within their region, twelve game season (six home, six away). >50% of every team's roster has to have played high school ball within their region. Pacific recruits California, Central has Texas/Louisiana, South Atlantic has Georgia/Florida, Northeast has whatever they think is relevant up there. Promote and relegate so good teams rise and bad teams sink, and the whole conference isn't just getting easy wins off Vandy every year.

I still think the final version of the super conference is going to have to include some serious addition by subtraction. Not even all SEC/Big 10 teams should be included.

This is exactly what's going to happen. Can't fault West Virginia and Syracuse for trying to pitch this idea, though I find it very funny seeing the number of fans crying that "money has ruined the sport" because of the 2023 shuffle/Wazzu and Oregon State being left in the dust suddenly singing a very different tune about this proposal despite it effectively booting 50 programs.

The Big Ten and SEC have no incentive to entertain this idea and will ultimately jettison a few existing programs en route to a division comprised of somewhere between 30 and 48 programs. The rest of the FBS can still enjoy their product just as FCS/1-AA fanbases have done for decades.

agreed. NO ONE is watching those regional games. However games like Mississippi State vs Ole Miss are classics and will draw plenty of eyes outside the state. you got to think adding Texas will draw a lot of outside eyes to the games with some of their old rivals.

Oregon/Washington/USC vs Ohio State/Michigan/Pennstate will draw big eyes, but there is no natural rivalry that is going to draw in a lot of attention outside of those games.

Right. The main thing the Big 10 has as a selling point are the major media markets, which is why the national media is so Big 10 biased. Problem is that major markets like NY and LA don't give a rat's ass about college sports.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. Michigan
6. Tennessee
12. LSU
14. Penn State
15. Auburn
16. Missouri
17. Florida
18. Ole Miss
20. TAMU
21. Iowa
24. Nebraska
31. Kentucky
32. Mississippi State

BUT, you did not list Oregon at #7, Washington at #11; and USC at #13. These are now member of the Big Ten.

Sounds like a NCAA end-around. The reason the two relevant conferences aren’t interested is this nullifies them right when they have all the playing cards. Never flies imo.
Exactly! Why in the hell would the 30 or so teams in the 2 conferences that are already getting the biggest piece of the pie, diminish their earnings by joining with 40 more schools?
If we ever see a super conference it will be a merger of the SEC and Big10 and a few others sprinkled in.
The powers that be in the SEC and Big10 are smarter than that.

If someone asked Europe to handle it:

View attachment 632115

Everyone plays everyone else within their region, twelve game season (six home, six away). >50% of every team's roster has to have played high school ball within their region. Pacific recruits California, Central has Texas/Louisiana, South Atlantic has Georgia/Florida, Northeast has whatever they think is relevant up there. Promote and relegate so good teams rise and bad teams sink, and the whole conference isn't just getting easy wins off Vandy every year.

and who's gonna tell the SEC and Big 10 "you're dissolved". Cause if you think they'll just say ok or the NCAA will make them, I got some swamp land to sell you.

and who's gonna tell the SEC and Big 10 "you're dissolved". Cause if you think they'll just say ok or the NCAA will make them, I got some swamp land to sell you.
I don't think anyone told the PAC-12 it was dissolved, either. Everyone just followed the money. If something comes along offering a great deal more than what the SEC and B1G are pulling in, don't think we're anything special.

BUT, you did not list Oregon at #7, Washington at #11; and USC at #13. These are now member of the Big Ten.
I also didn't list #8 Texas or #26 Oklahoma in the SEC.

even WITHOUT those additions the SEC still has more schools in the top.

VN Store

Back