Here's the teams that gave the best defenses a difficult time in 2018

Though they've been behind the AS curve and are just ripping off S&P+ and FEI, it sounds like they are using reasonable measures here. Kudos to ESPN for doing something right. Though I still trust Bill Connelly more. He is THE man for deep statistical analysis.
ESPN actually does a very good job. The great thing about sports analysis is that subsequent efforts to come up with ratings improve on previous methods. Mostly due to the vastly growing availability of play-by-play data. FEI is not Connelly btw. It’s one of the worst of the lot.

Reactions: Devo182
ESPN actually does a very good job. The great thing about sports analysis is that subsequent efforts to come up with ratings improve on previous methods. Mostly due to the vastly growing availability of play-by-play data. FEI is not Connelly btw. It’s one of the worst of the lot.

Yeah, the FEI guy who it is named after even makes predictions using all his data and was like 50.2% or 50.3% ATS this past year. About as good as a monkey throwing darts at a dartboard to make picks.

No.....they did not. You keep repeating it, yet you're 100% wrong and it's been pointed out to you 3 times now.

Hell you even know by the end of the post you're not right.
You're one of the most stubborn posters I've ever seen on this board and that says a lot. I sincerely hope you are not like this in real life.

The score was 58-21. Tennessee scored 21 points. As I've said in this thread, I pulled final scores from the schedules of the best 30 defenses in the country to compose this list. It does not take into account defensive or special teams touchdowns. You can not see that because you are blinded by your own pride and hung up on trying to embarrass someone rather than seeking to understand the information presented.

Honestly, I thought people would appreciate the information without reading too much into it.

Waiting for OP to plug in JG`s completion percentage into his Excel spreadsheet, and then tell us that according to "the numbers" we should be on the CFB playoffs.

You're one of the most stubborn posters I've ever seen on this board and that says a lot. I sincerely hope you are not like this in real life.

The score was 58-21. Tennessee scored 21 points. As I've said in this thread, I pulled final scores from the schedules of the best 30 defenses in the country to compose this list. It does not take into account defensive or special teams touchdowns. You can not see that because you are blinded by your own pride and hung up on trying to embarrass someone rather than seeking to understand the information presented.

Honestly, I thought people would appreciate the information without reading too much into it.

Then you obviously haven't met yourself.

Yes, I've read your "explanation" already, which apparentlty is you were too lazy to put anymore effort into it than you did. It has nothing to do with pride, it has everything with you being flat out wrong. If you aren't going to take into account defensive or special team touchdowns then don't make blanket statements about what UT scored against defenses.

Why? So you can just turn around and bash JG? Why people love to take the opportunity to take shots at JG astounds me.

It was actually a shot at OP for plugging numbers into a spreadsheet, and then spewing whargrarble, but feel free to feel proxy-slighted for JG if you feel the need.

Reactions: volfannbama
It was actually a shot at OP for plugging numbers into a spreadsheet, and then spewing whargrarble, but feel free to feel proxy-slighted for JG if you feel the need.

Not slighted in the least. Did the OP use JGs name at all? He didnt in his original post. But I guess you felt you needed to. Seems like you want the OP to respond with stats so you can refuts. Thats bush league. But to each his own.

Ole Miss finished the season ranked #9 in total offense, but against good defenses (Alabama, MSU, LSU, and Auburn) they were out scored 173-42. That's 10.5 points per game. So are we suppose to think Ole Miss had a "good" offense simply because they were ranked in the top 10?

Statistics can be deceiving. To me, a good offense is one that does well against good defenses. In 2018, there are 13 teams that scored at least 21 points on 3 separate occasions against a Top 30 defense. Those teams are as follows:

Texas A&M (4)
Georgia Tech (4)
Auburn (4)
Virginia Tech (3)
Alabama (3)
Ohio State (3)
Boise State (3)
Stanford (3)
Georgia (3)
Missouri (3)
Penn State (3)
Tennessee (3)
Utah State (3)

Nothing earth shattering here, I know. Just thought I'd share what I found. TIFWIW.
Yeah, but we also gave the worst defenses the easiest time in 2018

Ole Miss finished the season ranked #9 in total offense, but against good defenses (Alabama, MSU, LSU, and Auburn) they were out scored 173-42. That's 10.5 points per game. So are we suppose to think Ole Miss had a "good" offense simply because they were ranked in the top 10?

Statistics can be deceiving. To me, a good offense is one that does well against good defenses. In 2018, there are 13 teams that scored at least 21 points on 3 separate occasions against a Top 30 defense. Those teams are as follows:

Texas A&M (4)
Georgia Tech (4)
Auburn (4)
Virginia Tech (3)
Alabama (3)
Ohio State (3)
Boise State (3)
Stanford (3)
Georgia (3)
Missouri (3)
Penn State (3)
Tennessee (3)
Utah State (3)

Nothing earth shattering here, I know. Just thought I'd share what I found. TIFWIW.
This list is meaningless and without merit because of Tennessee. Wasted effort on your part.

10.5 points per game against Alabama, Mississippi State, LSU, and Auburn. It's evidence that ranking high in categorical rankings doesn't mean much. Ole Miss finished #9 in total offense but they were terrible against good defenses. I just thought that was interesting.

I'm not trying to push any agenda. Nobody in this thread said UT has a good offense. They are in the list of 13 because they are 1 of 13 teams that has scored 21 points or more against 3 good Top 30 defenses.
and with their schedule - they just so happened to play perhaps at least 3 of the "top 30" defenses? Odds were in TN favor to make this list it seems.....

Reactions: Devo182
and with their schedule - they just so happened to play perhaps at least 3 of the "top 30" defenses? Odds were in TN favor to make this list it seems.....
Just about every SEC, Big 10, ACC and PAC 12 team played at least 3 top 30 teams.

Then you obviously haven't met yourself.

Yes, I've read your "explanation" already, which apparentlty is you were too lazy to put anymore effort into it than you did. It has nothing to do with pride, it has everything with you being flat out wrong. If you aren't going to take into account defensive or special team touchdowns then don't make blanket statements about what UT scored against defenses.
Nice to see you haven’t changed. “Too lazy” to look at football stats for another hour? lol and I thought I was being lazy by not doing my actual job this morning. Get a life dude.

This sums up volnation threads as well as anything.

The OP points out how things can be deceiving and then posts something deceiving.

Points by Tennessee against Kentucky were legit. Against Florida and Bama, points were well after the game had been decided

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

VN Store

Back