Votes: 144 30.2%

Votes: 190 39.8%

Votes: 70 14.7%
  • 9 or more

Votes: 22 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MWA, you are full of it.

Nashville bleeds orange. Davidson County bleeds orange. All the towns around Nashville bleed orange, with the possible exception of Frankllin; several VN.com members who live there say that place is a hot bed of Bama and Vandy fans.
Really? I don't see that at all. I don't live in Nashville but go there a fair amount, and I don't get the impression the area bleeds orange at all. Especially now that so many transplants live there. There might be more Tennessee fans there than any other school, but there is a notable number of fans of other schools there.

I live in Chattanooga, born and raised, never lived anywhere else, and I wouldn't even say that it "bleeds orange" in recent years. Tennessee fans are a majority but not overwhelmingly so. There are a ton of Bammers and Georgia people here mixed in with Florida and Ohio St. Bandwagoners, yes, but still annoying. And this is in East Tennessee (always more of a Tennessee stronghold than Middle) and closer to Knoxville.

Really? I don't see that at all. I don't live in Nashville but go there a fair amount, and I don't get the impression the area bleeds orange at all. Especially now that so many transplants live there. There might be more Tennessee fans there than any other school, but there is a notable number of fans of other schools there.

I live in Chattanooga, born and raised, never lived anywhere else, and I wouldn't even say that it "bleeds orange" in recent years. Tennessee fans are a majority but not overwhelmingly so. There are a ton of Bammers and Georgia people here mixed in with Florida and Ohio St. Bandwagoners, yes, but still annoying. And this is in East Tennessee (always more of a Tennessee stronghold than Middle) and closer to Knoxville.

Yep, your impression of Nashville is off, 05.

I'd always had a gut feel for it, the way you have a gut feel for Chattanooga. But then one day I decided to test it. Counted fans as I drove from the suburbs into the city, all the way to Vandy, and back home again. Looked at hundreds of cars, and counted every single one that had a sticker, a magnetic decal, a license plate, a flag, or any other indication of what team they supported.

I posted the results on these boards. This was a year or two ago, but I bet you could still find it through the search function.

I don't remember the numbers now, but it was overwhelmingly in the Vols' favor. Something like 50 to 2 to 1 to 1 to 1 (where the 2s and 1s were Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida and Bama). The 50 was, of course, Tennessee.

Because my daughters went to Vandy, I've had the chance to talk to a lot of folks on that campus; a surprising number of them are Tennessee fans, too. I'm positive Vols fans outnumber Vandy fans ON VANDY'S CAMPUS, if you include all the security guards, cafeteria workers, support staff, and so on. Maybe by as much as 5 to 1, heh.

No, Nashville definitely bleeds orange. No doubt about it.

Yep, your impression of Nashville is off, 05.

I'd always had a gut feel for it, the way you have a gut feel for Chattanooga. But then one day I decided to test it. Counted fans as I drove from the suburbs into the city, all the way to Vandy, and back home again. Looked at hundreds of cars, and counted every single one that had a sticker, a magnetic decal, a license plate, a flag, or any other indication of what team they supported.

I posted the results on these boards. This was a year or two ago, but I bet you could still find it through the search function.

I don't remember the numbers now, but it was overwhelmingly in the Vols' favor. Something like 50 to 2 to 1 to 1 to 1 (where the 2s and 1s were Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida and Bama). The 50 was, of course, Tennessee.

Because my daughters went to Vandy, I've had the chance to talk to a lot of folks on that campus; a surprising number of them are Tennessee fans, too. I'm positive Vols fans outnumber Vandy fans ON VANDY'S CAMPUS, if you include all the security guards, cafeteria workers, support staff, and so on. Maybe by as much as 5 to 1, heh.

No, Nashville definitely bleeds orange. No doubt about it.
I found the post you are talking about. I know you didn't track this, and it'd be way too distracting to do so while driving, but what county in Tennessee were most of the cars showing Vols stuff from? You were mostly on the interstates, which has a much higher percentage of people passing through from elsewhere. I'd be willing to bet that a pretty high percentage of the Vols cars were from other parts of the state outside of the Nashville metro.

Like I was saying Chattanooga doesn't even bleed orange, and Chattanooga is less transient than Nashville, closer to Knoxville than Nashville is, and in the eastern part of the state which has always been more of a Vols stronghold than Middle or West Tennessee. There is Bama and Georgia garbage everywhere, mostly on rusted-out, beat up early 90s pickup trucks. Tennessee is still a majority, but I'd estimate 30-40% of the stuff you see on the backs of cars is for a school other than Tennessee.

I found the post you are talking about. I know you didn't track this, and it'd be way too distracting to do so while driving, but what county in Tennessee were most of the cars showing Vols stuff from? You were mostly on the interstates, which has a much higher percentage of people passing through from elsewhere. I'd be willing to bet that a pretty high percentage of the Vols cars were from other parts of the state outside of the Nashville metro.

Like I was saying Chattanooga doesn't even bleed orange, and Chattanooga is less transient than Nashville, closer to Knoxville than Nashville is, and in the eastern part of the state which has always been more of a Vols stronghold than Middle or West Tennessee. There is Bama and Georgia garbage everywhere, mostly on rusted-out, beat up early 90s pickup trucks. Tennessee is still a majority, but I'd estimate 30-40% of the stuff you see on the backs of cars is for a school other than Tennessee.

I actually did pay attention to it, though I didn't include it. (because non-scientific...wasn't able to keep a solid count of counties, as well as team affiliations). Mostly Davidson and Wilson county, some Rutherford. Very little from outside.

Bottom line, if memory serves, it was pretty much the daily commute crowd going one way and in-and-around traffic going the other. Didn't notice many thru vehicles, where I was close enough to read county names on the plates.

Having said that, I probably could only read counties on about a third to half of the cars I saw with team emblems. My observation (mostly locals) is statistically valid, though far from rigorous.

No, these were Nashville folks. Nashville bleeds orange.

p.s. The part of middle Tennessee I grew up in does, too. HUGELY Vols country around Tullahoma, Shelbyville, Manchester, Fayetteville, Winchester, Estill Springs, Lynchburg, etc. I think Middle Tennessee in general is far more Orange than you're giving us credit for.

Just go to the ramp during weigh-in in a bass tourney at Tims Ford or Normandy and count the Vol caps vs. the Commodores. That would be a scientific poll!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Just go to the ramp during weigh-in in a bass tourney at Tims Ford or Normandy and count the Vol caps vs. the Commodores. That would be a scientific poll!

Yeah, man, but to be fair: if you go to a black tie wine and cheese tasting party, you'll probably see more Vandy regimental ties than Tennessee handkerchiefs.

We own the bass fishing grounds, brother. Same for NASCAR bleachers. Gotta give Vandy their due at the opera house. :)

Waaaay more Bammers down there than orange. Some of them will flip if we start winning again. Vandy guy says better test is to count blazer crests at the Nantucket regatta.

My honest to god prediction is this. We pound that 3-3-5 front straight up the gut over and over until they are forced to change it up. Then we destroy them with our stacked WRs. No way they should beat us playing 5 DBs.

Speaking of WVU of course

In my humble opinion the single most important factor for the Vols to have a winning season is a dominant defensive line that can stop the run and rush the passer.

I feel like they can be solid on the DL but not dominating in every game. I feel like 7-5 or 6-6 is the most likely outcome for this season.

I feel like UT's best chance for a major upset is against Georgia. UT will certainly give them all they want and maybe then some.

WVU is a possibility for an upset, but the offense has to be ready to go and I'm not sure they will be firing on all cylinders in the first game.

If Tennessee is 4-0 going into the Georgia game where do y'all think they will be ranked? I think a 4-0 Tennessee team would be ranked around #15.

It really all depends on HOW we get to 4-0.

For instance, if the Mountaineers look like a hot mess and everyone is left scratching their heads wondering how anyone could think they might contend for a B12 title this year, we won't get much traction in the poll voting. But if West Virginia looks crisp and sharp, Grier and his WRs have a good day, and we STILL whup them, convincingly, then we'll make the Top 25 the very next week.

Same with the Florida game. If the Gators looks spastic and inept, we won't gain much headway beating them. But if they look inspired, and we still dominate, then we'll catapult up quite a few notches after that game as well.

There are two ways to move up in the polls: one rung at a time, as teams higher in the polls lose and drop ... or by leaps and bounds when you play a good team and win well.

If all we're doing is the former, we'll hardly be ranked even at 4-0 (because the pollsters will be anticipating our gauntlet). If we do the latter, particularly in games 1 and 4, yes, then we could break into the top 15 spots.

Tennessee 37 W Va 28
Tennessee 56 ETSU 3
Tennessee 45 UTEP 7
Tennessee 31 Florida 14
UGa 28 Tennessee 14
Tennessee 27 Auburn 24
Tennessee 17 Bama 16
Tennessee 17 USC 14
Tennessee 56 Charlotte 3
Tennessee 42 Kentucky 24
Tennessee 42 Missouri 38
Tennessee 35 Vandy 17

Tennessee 45 Ohio State 0

Tennessee 37 W Va 28
Tennessee 56 ETSU 3
Tennessee 45 UTEP 7
Tennessee 31 Florida 14
UGa 28 Tennessee 14
Tennessee 27 Auburn 24
Tennessee 17 Bama 16
Tennessee 17 USC 14
Tennessee 56 Charlotte 3
Tennessee 42 Kentucky 24
Tennessee 42 Missouri 38
Tennessee 35 Vandy 17

Tennessee 45 Ohio State 0

12-1 would certainly be a shockingly impressive start for the Pruitt era at Tennessee.

I mean, shockingly impressive.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
WVU - W (WVU is a paper tiger)
ETSU - W
UTEP - W
UF - W (No good news out of Gainesville, Mullen seems out of his element)
UGA - L
Auburn - L
Bama - L
USCjr - W (always a close game, wouldn't be surprised if this was a loss)
Charlotte - W
UK - W
Missou - L (If we beat WVU i think this could be a win but I have it as that dropped game we should win)
Vandy - W

8-4, maybe 7-5 or 6-6 if we drop the UF and/or WVU game(s). I really think 6-6 is the floor for this team. We were 1 score away from winning in 3 games last year (UF, USCjr, UK) with a makeshift o-line and Botch/cHoke at the helm. Not much of a leap to say we make a 3-win jump this year if this coaching staff is remotely competent and we don't have the same rash of injuries.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I’ll say I’d Auburn Doesent get on a roll early they will drop or completely mail it in and Tennessee steals that one.

Pruitt opens the season with a W

Undefeated in OOC games

UK, Missouri, and Vandy are wins

Pruitt beats Florida.

Georgia and Bama are the representations in the SECCG.

Bama and Georgia beat Tenn.

At best Tennessee is 8-4.
Worst is 6-6.

Tennessee has talent they just needed coaching. People seem to forget that
If you tally up your wins that is 9-3.

I’ve been thinking 6-6 but my new friend Pepe has me thinking more positively. I’ll say 7-5. Losses to the big 3, I’ll still say UF, and Mizzou. Something about WV feels like the Cal game from 2006 even though we don’t have Ainge or Coach Cut.

The D gave up a record 28 TDs & 2,841 rushing yds in 2016 only to have it surpassed last year giving up 29 TDs & 3014 rushing yds. With depth at DL an issue CJP has one big job heading into the season. 9-3 I would give him a raise. 7 wins and Aaron Murray owes him a an apology.

We only need six to get a bowl-I think we can do that. My Guess is: We will win more this year, with our first year coach, than we did last year with the one that had 5 years under his belt.

A little shocking that 5 wins is at under 7%.

I know it doesn't seem wildly optimistic to say we will get to a bowl, but I worry the fan base is really under-rating the middle difficulty part of our schedule.

I see a lot of people talking about the West Virginia game like it is a toss up at worst. I'd say we have a 20% chance of getting that one at best.

I voted for 5 wins. If we get 6 and go bowling I'd honestly be impressed. I think even Saban in his first year at Bama won 6 games. As for West Virginia, they're ranked but the one hope I have is they are NOT an SEC team. I have no idea what will happen in that game.

Reactions: Rifleman
So, John Adams is predicting that we will win 6 games?

KKS Predictions

For a curmudgeon like him, that qualifies as unbridled enthusiasm! Either this coaching staff has really impressed him, or he is just trolling us all.

My Vol heart says 9-3 but I’m not convinced that they have the depth for that and the schedule is so unforgiving in October that I’m certain the Vols will sustain at least a few bumps and bruises along the way. I just hope they are healthy enough for a stretch run in November. So I’m going with 6-6. If they start 4-0 then they could get to 8-4 or 9-3. But, that’s a big IF!!

VN Store

Back