Hooker/Stroud/Levis/Young - Who will be the best pro?

Hooker has to come back healthy to see how he's looking after the injury. He has the best long term upside. Size speed and arm talent are all there + smart with the ball.
Levis will be a good quarterback. Not a great one. But he certainly is not a Ryan Leaf type of person. That's quite an insult.
Stroud literally had it all in college. He isn't likely to have that much firepower in the NFL as a young player. The jury is still out on him.
Bryce Young looks to be the one poised for initial success based on his style of play and ability to adapt to having varying levels of talent around him and still being able to produce. His escapability is extreme, which helps make up for his lack of size.

It's weird that nobody in this thread has mentioned Anthony Richardson yet, who Kiper has going 9th overall (as the 4th QB). Sure he's super raw and inexperienced, but he has a skillset similar to guys like Cam Newton, Josh Allen, or Lamar Jackson. If I were an NFL GM, I'd probably pick Richardson over anybody but Young (who's close to a sure thing), because imagine the reputational risk of taking a lower-ceiling alternative who turns out to be a bust.

It's weird that nobody in this thread has mentioned Anthony Richardson yet, who Kiper has going 9th overall (as the 4th QB). Sure he's super raw and inexperienced, but he has a skillset similar to guys like Cam Newton, Josh Allen, or Lamar Jackson. If I were an NFL GM, I'd probably pick Richardson over anybody but Young (who's close to a sure thing), because imagine the reputational risk of taking a lower-ceiling alternative who turns out to be a bust.
Bryce Young. Best I have seen at no matter what happens behind line of scrimmage keeping his eyes down field. CJ Stroud actually may be ok but I wouldnt take that gamble. A GM that draft Levis in top 10 is one who wants to get that severance package. If you are willing to draft Levis that high i sincerely think he sucks so bad why not wait till 2nd round and take Anthony Richardson. Another big qb with all the tools and can make plays with feet and you get a qb who loves to throw to the other team just like Levis but much cheaper and can use that 1st round pick on a difference maker on the roster that you feel has little shot to be a bust.

👀Look again. Lol

I think it depends on the NFL team.
This. I think Shuler and Couch, among so many others, would have had different stories had they gone into better situations. Shuler was drafted by a pretty notable QB/offensive coach but not a great set up. That’s the thing about being a high pick, you’re almost always going into a rebuild and a garbage situation. Aside from the buoys difference in the money, it’s almost better to go lower into the right spot. I’m any event, it’s almost always a gamble. Very few sure things.

Reactions: THEONLYTENISEE
Despite how we feel about it, Levis is the correct answer. He's got all the tools that scouts look for and the size. If Levis played in a better system, or his OL wasn't garbage, he could put up monster numbers. Listen to the way the analysts talk about him, even the way Peyton talks about him.

Levis makes bad decisions and has problems handling his emotions, he will be a bust.

I agree with those that think A-Rich is a better pick than Levis. Both QBs will be pretty bad year 1. But I like A-Rich's ability a lot better than Levis' and he should be available at the end of round 1. So you could trade into pick 32 from the 2nd round and potentially get a franchise QB for pennies on the dollar and controlled for 5 years.

I know Levis may have the natural talent of a franchise QB, I just don't think he has it between the ears. Maybe the right team can develop him, but I don't see how you could pass up Young and Stroud for him.

Young in the right system. He's the only who has a good chance to be more than a back up/part time starter.

I think Anthony Richardson is a raw product with tools. CJ Stroud benefits from 3 1st round pick WRs and Bryce Young unfortunately has a size and more importantly a weight issue. I look at all of these QBs and see a class of kids who would benefit from sitting a year and learning and be coached in NFL.

The team that drafts Levis needs to make sure that he is fixable on the emotions side. I see some AJ McCarron and some Baker Mayfield, which might not translate well without the right staff. Carolina might be good fit for him.

Draft:

1a BY
1b Stroud
3 Levis
4 JR
5 HH
6 Tune (Houston QB)
7 Thompson-Robinson (UCLA)
8 Guy from WA St if he declares
9 BYU guy
10 Stanford QB, prototypical size
11 Dougan
12 Bennett

Not sure who else

I would take Young over all of them. Levis .............I just don't see it. Mock's have him going to indy.
No way I would draft Levis at all.
Levis & JR have the best physical tools. He's a great prospect, he will still go by 2nd rd. I think he's had some lingering injuries and suffered from poor team play.

Hater's gonna hate, I reckon. I'm sure you said the same thing about Brock Purdy as well.... Mr. Irrelevent. He's already accomplished more in 1/3rd of a season than Dobbs who's bigger, stronger, faster, smarter.....and 50 other qbs that were drafted and did nothing worth noting. Dont' be mad at me.....you all should petition the Manning's on this, not me! LOL Don't hate the playa hate the game...

It's not 'hate' and I'm not 'mad'. Just trying to educate you with reality, but I'd expect a foolish post like this from someone who watches nothing but Georgia football. Purdy is 6'1" and 220 lbs., and Dobbs is 6'3" and 216, so both are big guys. Purdy played in a pro-style system in school and can make all the throws, so he was always going to have a better shot than Dobbs of sticking somewhere. He happened to land in a perfect spot, with a coach who is a great QB developer and has a ton of talent around him. And it remains to be seen if he can stay at or close to this level once the book is out on him and DC's around the league have his tape.

Dobbs was and is a terrific athlete, which made him great at UT but the lack of QB fundamentals to make it at the next level were always going to limit how far he could go in the NFL. But you look at names and numbers without looking beyond that, and make up for the ignorance by using terms like "hater" and "playa" trying to appear hip. Or something.

Bennett is 5'11" and 190, and any speed he had that was an advantage in college will be negligible in the NFL, where there are D-linemen who can run him down. Johnny Manzeil was a small guy with 100 times the tools as Bennett, and couldn't make it. When Bennett has to play from the pocket and make the throws a pro QB needs to make, reality will set in very quickly. Any draft pick used on Bennett will be a wasted one.

I agree with those that think A-Rich is a better pick than Levis. Both QBs will be pretty bad year 1. But I like A-Rich's ability a lot better than Levis' and he should be available at the end of round 1. So you could trade into pick 32 from the 2nd round and potentially get a franchise QB for pennies on the dollar and controlled for 5 years.

I know Levis may have the natural talent of a franchise QB, I just don't think he has it between the ears. Maybe the right team can develop him, but I don't see how you could pass up Young and Stroud for him.

I would agree on taking Richardson late 1st or early 2nd, but my guess is someone is going to gamble on the upside potential in the top half of the 1st. I also agree on Richardson being a better bet than Levis, who has the measurables the NFL looks for but doesn't appear to have the mental makeup he'll need to learn and grow as a pro.

Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league, and always has been. The current 'thing' is to find the next Josh Allen, and on the surface that is Levis in this draft. Someone will take him in the top 10 and live to regret it.

This. I think Shuler and Couch, among so many others, would have had different stories had they gone into better situations. Shuler was drafted by a pretty notable QB/offensive coach but not a great set up. That’s the thing about being a high pick, you’re almost always going into a rebuild and a garbage situation. Aside from the buoys difference in the money, it’s almost better to go lower into the right spot. I’m any event, it’s almost always a gamble. Very few sure things.
Shuler holding out to start his career I think hurt him. Maybe it didn't matter, but it sure seemed like his team mates did not like it. The foot injury was the nail in the coffin though. Couch had zero chance to succeed. Much like David Carr.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Shuler holding out to start his career I think hurt him. Maybe it didn't matter, but it sure seemed like his team mates did not like it. The foot injury was the nail in the coffin though. Couch had zero chance to succeed. Much like David Carr.
Good point. Forgot about that.

I don’t know why Levis is even in the picture. His stats are terrible. The biggest compliment coming from this season is that he can take a hit. I am not sure why that equates to success.

It's not 'hate' and I'm not 'mad'. Just trying to educate you with reality, but I'd expect a foolish post like this from someone who watches nothing but Georgia football. Purdy is 6'1" and 220 lbs., and Dobbs is 6'3" and 216, so both are big guys. Purdy played in a pro-style system in school and can make all the throws, so he was always going to have a better shot than Dobbs of sticking somewhere. He happened to land in a perfect spot, with a coach who is a great QB developer and has a ton of talent around him. And it remains to be seen if he can stay at or close to this level once the book is out on him and DC's around the league have his tape.

Dobbs was and is a terrific athlete, which made him great at UT but the lack of QB fundamentals to make it at the next level were always going to limit how far he could go in the NFL. But you look at names and numbers without looking beyond that, and make up for the ignorance by using terms like "hater" and "playa" trying to appear hip. Or something.

Bennett is 5'11" and 190, and any speed he had that was an advantage in college will be negligible in the NFL, where there are D-linemen who can run him down. Johnny Manzeil was a small guy with 100 times the tools as Bennett, and couldn't make it. When Bennett has to play from the pocket and make the throws a pro QB needs to make, reality will set in very quickly. Any draft pick used on Bennett will be a wasted one.
OK

Essentially every site and pundit seems to have these four as the top QB’s to be taken in the 2023 Draft, with Jefferson from Arky and Jaren Hall from BYU getting some love as well.

Love the arm on Stroud. Not sold on Young in the league because of size. Hooker seems to play perfect football at times. And Levis is entirely inconsistent, albeit playing behind a bad O line.

There’s no obvious pick to me. Hooker and Stroud play in offenses at this level that leave so many questions for scouts. The conscientious from the Kiper, McShay types seem to be that Levis is the guy because of the scheme he plays in, size, arm, toughness and constant comparisons to Josh Allen. He could seriously be the #1 pick when it is all said and done, which will make no sense to many of us.

There’s plenty of football left to be played this season. But for my money, I’d never bet against Hooker considering his history, maturity, the clutch gene, and his intestinal fortitude. Not to mention the fact that he is just simply a winner. I am certainly no GM, owner, or scout, but if I’m drafting a QB, he is my guy.

GBO!
That question doesn’t hinge on the player. It’s on the team and situation. No one thought Hurts would be the best of that bunch. Allen went into the best situation annd then his coaching anitustion changed and his performance declined.

All those guys have great potential, but so many variables. None are can’t miss players.

VN Store

Back