How are we still so delusional?

UT isn't firing JH. Not this year, next year, or the one after. UT isn't that stupid.

If UT does fire him, they are stupid enough to have the next Pruitt or D Dooley waiting in the wings. Think about that.

If he goes 8 or 9 wins in 24 (which looks likely) and 8 or 9 wins in 25...would it be stupid to entertain the idea?

Is above average but not good what we expect from Heupel most years? Or any coach for that matter? Not making one SEC title game?

Again, all of this hypothetical but some of you coach worship far too much.

Your unrealistic expectations aside.
I had us as a 4 loss team including a loss to Florida.
We switch A&M with Mizzou and we’re right where I thought we’d be. I didn’t expect Milton to be this bad so were probably ahead of where we actually should be this year.
You guys who want to talk about your predictions on our record... Are you watching the games? It's not the losses. It's our performances in the losses.

If he goes 8 or 9 wins in 24 (which looks likely) and 8 or 9 wins in 25...would it be stupid to entertain the idea?

Is above average but not good what we expect from Heupel most years? Or any coach for that matter? Not making one SEC title game?

I don’t want to go back to 6-6 years or below .500 years. Tennessee fans need to recognize where they are as a program. CJH is gonna get Tennessee to 8-10 wins a year I believe and I’m ok with that with some years possibly being close to win the east it’s just gonna get harder with Texas and Oklahoma. Just keep plugging away and hopefully Tennessee can tilt in the right direction with recruiting and putting players in the league..vol battered syndrome is real..

CJH is about 9 win on average with a playoff run 2 to 4x a decade coach...how does that sound?

Did you honestly see us losing to UF and getting absolutely dismantled by Missouri this year? Did you see that coming? I know I didn’t. I thought 9-3 was a safe bet. After yesterday’s game, 8-4 is the best we can do. Gap year or not, that’s a disappointing season. Remember, zheupel git a big raise. With bigger money come higher expectations.
Did you see Missouri being a potential 10 win team either? Because I’m guessing you didn’t.

How can this fan base still be so delusional to believe that we should be winning the SEC East this year? We all knew coming in that this would be a gap year, yet mid season because of how well Heupel has had this team playing, we expected to finish 10-2 in the toughest division in all of CFB, with a roster still dealing with fallout from the Pruitt era.

We are recruiting better than ever, have the top QB waiting in the wings, and still a damn good coach. Heupel didn’t fumble 3 times yesterday, he didn’t throw a pick 6. Injuries have decimated our thin defense, and even still we have had a top group that after a murderers row of opponents have just been thinned out.

I get it, we are all ready for success after these past 20 years, especially being so close to Georgia, Alabama, etc. but firing Heupel or blowing up the team because of a bad loss is asinine. This team is well on its way back to the top, but have some perspective and don’t let the year Heupel and Hooker carried us to last year fog that.

Team looked uninterested and undisciplined and a concerning trend of Heupel not even looking competitive on the road has developed. No one is delusional, we just watch and observe.

This is a great point. Well said.

You guys who want to talk about your predictions on our record... Are you watching the games? It's not the losses. It's our performances in the losses.
Well, duh.
Maybe you missed the part about not expecting Milton to be this bad.
The point remains

I don’t want to go back to 6-6 years or below .500 years. Tennessee fans need to recognize where they are as a program. CJH is gonna get Tennessee to 8-10 wins a year I believe and I’m ok with that with some years possibly being close to win the east it’s just gonna get harder with Texas and Oklahoma. Just keep plugging away and hopefully Tennessee can tilt in the right direction with recruiting and putting players in the league..vol battered syndrome is real..

I get that. 8 to 9 wins are obviously more fun than what we have largely had the last 15 years but the end result is still the same, not competing for SEC titles. If we arent competing for SEC titles and the college playoff most years, then what are we doing?

How can this fan base still be so delusional to believe that we should be winning the SEC East this year? We all knew coming in that this would be a gap year, yet mid season because of how well Heupel has had this team playing, we expected to finish 10-2 in the toughest division in all of CFB, with a roster still dealing with fallout from the Pruitt era.

We are recruiting better than ever, have the top QB waiting in the wings, and still a damn good coach. Heupel didn’t fumble 3 times yesterday, he didn’t throw a pick 6. Injuries have decimated our thin defense, and even still we have had a top group that after a murderers row of opponents have just been thinned out.

I get it, we are all ready for success after these past 20 years, especially being so close to Georgia, Alabama, etc. but firing Heupel or blowing up the team because of a bad loss is asinine. This team is well on its way back to the top, but have some perspective and don’t let the year Heupel and Hooker carried us to last year fog that.
The fan base I hate most is our own. Be competitive that’s it. Don’t get blown out by a team you should beat.

Simply put- we should not look as bad as we did last night. Period. It's beyond the loss. It's the way we lost. Same thing against FL and SC. It's now something that's becoming a pattern.
Heck even VANDY.....scored 21 against Missouri. We didn't score a freaking point in 3 FULL QUARTERS. Let that sink in.

True, Heupel didn’t fumble three times or throw a pick six. You know what else he didn’t do? Make any adjustments.
I blame the players more than Heup, they didn’t show up to play, is that his fault? Idk, but judging by Joe Milton’s body language on the field and our defensive effort I think this team lacks player leadership

Here is the reality: We were never going to replicate last year with this team. We have struggle wins and a bad loss due to a myriad of factors but, IMO, it is because we never put it together at the same time. The first half of the Bama game was as good as we played all year and demonstrated the true potential of this squad. I am actually encouraged by that half of football. While yesterday's loss should have been a tough W... "Thems the breaks."

Let's break this down a little:
Offensive Coaching: Honestly a bit of a disappointment this year on Offense. Golesh leaving had a far greater impact than we thought it would. WRs seemed to have improved in the back laf of the year so a plus there as well. O Line, for the most part, did pretty well but struggled against inferior opponents for some reason.

QB - First half of the year Milton wasn't playing at the level this team needed but turned it around and has played pretty darn well afterward (save the pick 6 last night). We are finally on the same page w/WRs and starting to look better.

WRs: Bru going down took a ton of production out of this group.... Even before then the QB/WRs were not on the same page. Not seeing the killer speed (was it scheming?) that allowed for the deep threat. Just when we start seeing Keyton reach expectations we lose Thorton on a spectacular catch and now Mizzou defense can relax. Overall this group was disappointing.

RBs: Studs...... strength of the team. Not sure where the fumble came from but not taking away this position group was the envy of the SEC.

OL: Played to the competition. Would have liked more physicality last night and folded to big moments. Injuried thinned us out and we need more depth to be elite at this position.

TE: Kinda pedestrian? Didn't see the production out of TE that would open up the offense. Not sure if that is by design or we just need a hoss pass catcher.

Defensive Coaching: Martinez & DBs were concerning but the Hadden injury exposed some players not ready for the spotlight. Slaughter stepped up and played pretty well. D-Line and LBs were pretty darn stout but we need better speed at LB. Overall Banks did pretty well until injuries caught up to us.

D-Line: Played great overall. Disappeared at times the last three games but overall was the strength of this defense.

LBs: Have a couple of studs but overall need more speed. Last night in particular they got sucked down the line and opened up the cutback for #7.... worst performance all year. Overall played pretty well this year but more athleticism and better discipline is needed.

DBs: Oh lordy where do we start. I am on record being down on Hadden, especially after UF game. He ran his mouth for no reason and cost the team. Also turns out he was one of our best defenders and we have struggled without him. I have to assume coaches don't like our DBs in man as we played a lot of zone coverage and poor positioning gave teams easy throws. We were built to get to the QB or bust..... DBs started to turn around last night but another year of face guarding aged me..... Blown assignments were also an issue consistently. I did see some bright spots as the year progressed but this is an area we MUST get better players AND coaching.

Bit of a book but recruiting will continue to build depth. If we can stay healthier, which is a requirement at this stage of our comeback, we will see better days ahead. Disappointing loss to UF otherwise this team, in sometimes ugly fashion, got it done until last night. Even then note we were in this game for most of it until the wheels came off. Mizzou is way better than anyone expected but we had the better athletes which is encouraging.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Simply put- we should not look as bad as we did last night. Period. It's beyond the loss. It's the way we lost. Same thing against FL and SC. It's now something that's becoming a pattern.
Very well said. I wanted to articulate that but 4 letter words kept me from it.

Our hopes of an SEC East title this year is Scissors

Our reality of an SEC East title this year is Rock

Just wait till next year?

I'll give you the final say.........

The fan base I hate most is our own. Be competitive that’s it. Don’t get blown out by a team you should beat.
An L is an L. How quick everyone is forgetting that these roles were reversed last year when we beat them 66-24. We’re down this year everyone needs to learn how to cope with the idea that it’s going to take more time and talent to get to elite status.

Because our reality is so depressing? Asking for a friend.

For the regular season:
10 wins was the ceiling
9 wins would be above expectations
8 wins would meet expectations
7 wins would be a disappointment

Season has had it's ups and downs but ultimately we are slated to finish anywhere from #20-25 by seasons end.

IF we do that, we have little to complain about - especially after two of our most important players were injured early - Pili & Bru. If those guys come back next year, an 8 win season should be the expectation again (too much to replace on defense, O-line still unproven, new QB - potentially losing Small & Wright).

We still have a few more pieces to put in place before we can realistically expect a 10-win season.

Reactions: Raebo
For the regular season:
10 wins was the ceiling
9 wins would be above expectations
8 wins would meet expectations
7 wins would be a disappointment

Season has had it's ups and downs but ultimately we are slated to finish anywhere from #20-25 by seasons end.

IF we do that, we have little to complain about - especially after two of our most important players were injured early - Pili & Bru. If those guys come back next year, an 8 win season should be the expectation again (too much to replace on defense, O-line still unproven, new QB - potentially losing Small & Wright).

We still have a few more pieces to put in place before we can realistically expect a 10-win season.
I never saw this as a 10 win team. Next year, 8 wins would be great given the schedule. I can see 6-6 or 7-5 depending on Heupel's success or lack thereof in the portal.

VN Store

Back