How do you explain that final no-call? Asking seriously.

Plenty of acting, flopping and disingenous actions from the Auburn guys the whole game, one called, most not called, they are coached by one of the most insincere, disingenuos and fake people you would ever want to be around, they weren't going to call a foul where Green was all spun up on his own accord while O just stood there with his arms up, this is the SEC not the Academy Awards

I just saw video of the Auburn game, and I cannot logically explain how that referee could not call Nkamhoua for a foul on Auburn's final shot!

Sure, we can take solace in the idea that the bad calls even out over the course of a season, but HOW--in that instance--does a ref swallow his whistle? Is human judgement that fallible? Are games rigged? How do you explain that call?

To my knowledge of the game, despite Olivier's raised hands and stable upper body, jump-stopping into his final position he was obviously late. He moved his body into the shooter's landing space( who did not elevate for his shot in an exaggeratedly forward disposition). Textbook call--right?

And even when refs choose to "let 'em play" in the final seconds, no matter how much extra contact they allow, they always reward basketball IQ and punish a stupid or clumsy move.

I come to VolNation to learn as much as to vent, so please enlighten me: was it me, or the referee, that missed something on that final play?

*note: I later saw Bruce Pearl's postgame interview, and he said he received "no explanation" about that final call.

I don't think what Bruce did or didn't hear from the refs is all that relevant. You never hear from refs if you want to question their call after a game. SOP. It was a bit of a bang bang play and if you look at charge calls throughout a game - refs tend to miss as many as they get right. The idea is to establish position, establish a wall and don't move from that position. Depending on your take Nk was either a split second late or a split second perfect in establishing his position. From his perspective he arrived, established position and froze. The Auburn guard was and had a history of momentum carrying him forward when he shoots his 3s, and he wraps his legs around or intentionally collides with the defender. In this case Nk. The refs were not operating in a vacuum - this same guard on replay was found guilty of a flop, or a flop and leg wrap around. Another guard faked a brain injury and concussion ;-) when his head didn't even make contact with a Tennessee player. It just happens to be a situation where 60 % of all refs indicate the offensive player initiated the contact and 40 % of refs indicate there was a foul.

The additional consideration is often in the last seconds of games refs like to let the players decide the outcome of the game vs. the refs deciding the outcome. So while Nk in the future needs to establish his position one click sooner, I can easily see both sides to this argument- not the open and shut that you have described. Also, I wonder why the guard that faked the brain trauma didn't receive a technical.

I think pretty simply, it was a foul, but the Auburn player helped cost himself the call by his egregious flop. He threw his legs out as far as he could to the point he wrapped them around ON. When you add in the fact they had already received a flopping warning the refs weren’t going to give it to him after that. He would have had a better chance just coming straight down. I’m amazed the refs didn’t force Pearl to take out the kid that Uros screened. He grabbed his head a stumbled around trying to sell a foul. He should have been forced to be checked by their medical staff if he’s to act like he was on the verge of being knocked out.

Last edited:
I think pretty simply, it was a foul, but the Auburn player helped cost himself the call by his egregious flop. He threw his legs out as far as he could to the point he wrapped them around ON. When you add in the fact they had already received a flopping warning the refs weren’t going to give it to him after that. He would have had a better chance just coming straight down. I’m amazed the refs didn’t force Pearl to take out the kid that Uros screened. He grabbed his head a stumbled around trying to sell a foul. He should have been forced to be checked by their medical staff if he’s to act like he was on the verge of being knocked out.

Have to disagree on the foul as already pointed out, pictures don’t lie. Johnson did smack in Plav’s shoulder, but that was a legal screen. Teammates should have communicated but that team is just like their coach, and they can have him.

Two things can be true:

1) It was a foul.

2) Wendell Green’s entire shooting mechanic revolves around an exaggerated leg kick meant to draw contact and bait a foul call. Thus, he flops a lot. It’s like the boy who cried wolf. He flopped all game, got a technical in the 2nd half because of it, and when he needed to get the actual foul call to go his way the official wasn’t buying what he was selling.

Missed call? Yes. It was a missed call. But, he didn’t help himself.

I just saw video of the Auburn game, and I cannot logically explain how that referee could not call Nkamhoua for a foul on Auburn's final shot!

Sure, we can take solace in the idea that the bad calls even out over the course of a season, but HOW--in that instance--does a ref swallow his whistle? Is human judgement that fallible? Are games rigged? How do you explain that call?

To my knowledge of the game, despite Olivier's raised hands and stable upper body, jump-stopping into his final position he was obviously late. He moved his body into the shooter's landing space( who did not elevate for his shot in an exaggeratedly forward disposition). Textbook call--right?

And even when refs choose to "let 'em play" in the final seconds, no matter how much extra contact they allow, they always reward basketball IQ and punish a stupid or clumsy move.

I come to VolNation to learn as much as to vent, so please enlighten me: was it me, or the referee, that missed something on that final play?

*note: I later saw Bruce Pearl's postgame interview, and he said he received "no explanation" about that final call.
That was one of the rare games that the officials ate their whistles for the vast majority of the game. There were several very obvious fouls committed all throughout the game. One more no call was par for the course.

I think if it was at any other point in the game they call a foul. Refs never call fouls or penalties on the final plays in football or basketball unless its extremely egregious. They let it play out. You RARELY see fouls on final shots or pass interference on hail mary's in football even though it happens all the time. It's just one of those unwritten rules. Unless he straight up tackled the guy they weren't going to call anything.
Lamonte Turner’s call against Purdue would beg to differ with your points.

CBP apparently has the teaching to whine and act as a major part of his program. I don't think one call was made against the barn that their players didn't cry to the refs about. And the acting...man, I'm surprised some of those guys can walk today.

There were no calls from the very start of the game. It isn’t logical to ignore a dozen or more obvious fouls (and walks) and then suddenly start enforcing those rules as the clock is about to expire

The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that nothing was called on the final play, yet something happened, and both possible calls had already been called during this game, both favoring Tennessee; the flop called earlier on Green resulting in a 1-shot technical, and the foul on KD Johnson for not allowing Vescovi to land on his made 3. Either of those could have been called on the final play, but neither was called. There was obvious contact, so the question becomes who initiated it. If it was Green, that's another flopping violation. If it was Nkamhoua, and IMO, it was, then it's a shooting foul and 3 FTs.

Either way, just further evidence that SEC refs are awful.

Reactions: berryvol
Another observation on the calls yesterday: When Uros got his technical for giving the “too short” motion, it was made by the official who was much shorter than his two counterparts. There was one official who had a better vantage point that didn’t call it. Maybe coincidental, but maybe biased on that official’s part? I’ve seen that not called on several occasions this year.

edit: see Jeff Macias’ altercation with Tony Vitello last year.

Reactions: lynnh

Wheeler was jumping into the defenders the whole game. He even got called for a charge one time when he landed on the defender. I would say the ref had had enough of this (as he had stopped the game earlier to explain to Wheeler what he was doing wrong).

I love that we got a W, but Auburn got shafted on that play. At the very least, they should’ve had the chance to send it to overtime with FTs, but a no call there was absurd.

It's honestly like this. In basketball, what one sees more times than not, especially in a situation where the shooter is attempting a shot towards the end of regulation, especially....ah...who cares. 46-43 Vols.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that nothing was called on the final play, yet something happened, and both possible calls had already been called during this game, both favoring Tennessee; the flop called earlier on Green resulting in a 1-shot technical, and the foul on KD Johnson for not allowing Vescovi to land on his made 3. Either of those could have been called on the final play, but neither was called. There was obvious contact, so the question becomes who initiated it. If it was Green, that's another flopping violation. If it was Nkamhoua, and IMO, it was, then it's a shooting foul and 3 FTs.

There were two no calls immediately before the last no call that favored Barn. Moving screen on ZZ and a little push on Santi that resulted in the turnover.

I didn't rewatch it, but I thought that the foul on Vescovi had to do with hitting his shooting hand/arm or body - and didn't have anything to do with letting him land. The first couple of flops actually went against Tennessee and Green made 2 of 3 ft on one obvious flop. On the final play, Nk was trying to make a basketball play - establish position, form a wall and be perfectly still. On the other hand, Green was trying to crash into the defender, create contact and initiate a call - just as he had at least two other occasions during the game. It wasn't a bad no call - technically Nk had his feet set prior to any contact - Green initiated 90 percent of the contact.

Reactions: lynnh and Putbacks
Lamonte Turner’s call against Purdue would beg to differ with your points.
I'm not saying they never get called but majority of the time the refs let the final play play out and won't call anything somewhat questionable. It has to be pretty egregious.

The same reason Uros got a T on something that was pretty tame; he has a reputation.

Green already got called for flopping and even if ON came into him some, him flopping back and kicking his legs forward did himself no favors. And it evened out since no call on Vescovi getting trucked about 2 minutes earlier.

Reactions: berryvol
I think the refs would have called that a foul on the last shot had the AU shooter not kicked both legs out. Saw a replay this morning from behind the shooter and looked like he had both legs wrapped around Oliver. Had it not been the last play of the game, there would have been another T for Auburn.

The shooter created the contact by kicking his legs out. He got a T for that earlier in the game.

Pretty sure that during one of those last reviews they were deciding that no one deserved to see five more minutes of that.

Charlie-Kelly-Blocks-Kid-in-Basketball-as-a-Ref.gif

VN Store

Back