How do you explain that final no-call? Asking seriously.

The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that nothing was called on the final play, yet something happened, and both possible calls had already been called during this game, both favoring Tennessee; the flop called earlier on Green resulting in a 1-shot technical, and the foul on KD Johnson for not allowing Vescovi to land on his made 3. Either of those could have been called on the final play, but neither was called. There was obvious contact, so the question becomes who initiated it. If it was Green, that's another flopping violation. If it was Nkamhoua, and IMO, it was, then it's a shooting foul and 3 FTs.

Either way, just further evidence that SEC refs are awful.

For Tennessee fans who have a problem with the final no call; take solace in the fact a no call on the illegal screen set by Broome should have negated the final no call. He was obviously moving and then extended his arms. Obvious but yet again, no call.

Heck to be fair Broome took two hands and shoved Santi out of bounds to force a turnover, then clearly set an illegal screen on that final shot anyway. It was an obvious foul, but it is what it is. They missed several all game, or just let the game be very physical.
I just watched the final 2 minutes again. Objectively, O fouled and the Auburn kid flopped. However, it should have never come down to this. Several have mentioned that Broome pushed Santi out of bounds - which is also true. Go back to the 25 second mark when Broome tipped in a miss to cut the lead to one. Before the tip Broome shoved JJJ in the back which enabled him to get the tip. If that foul is called we potentially go up 5 and the game is over…. The final shot of the game was controversial- but what happened seconds before is the untold story.

I didn't rewatch it, but I thought that the foul on Vescovi had to do with hitting his shooting hand/arm or body - and didn't have anything to do with letting him land. The first couple of flops actually went against Tennessee and Green made 2 of 3 ft on one obvious flop. On the final play, Nk was trying to make a basketball play - establish position, form a wall and be perfectly still. On the other hand, Green was trying to crash into the defender, create contact and initiate a call - just as he had at least two other occasions during the game. It wasn't a bad no call - technically Nk had his feet set prior to any contact - Green initiated 90 percent of the contact.

Completely disagree, but ok. Nkamhoua was neither vertical at the point of first contact, nor was he set before Green left his feet. He clearly was still moving into Green's space to land. I'm fine with the idea that Green's reputation as a flopper contributed to the no-call, but it was a foul on Nkamhoua, and I have no doubt that the vast majority would want that called if the teams were reversed and it was Zeigler getting contacted by Broome. Agree to disagree.

The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that nothing was called on the final play, yet something happened, and both possible calls had already been called during this game, both favoring Tennessee; the flop called earlier on Green resulting in a 1-shot technical, and the foul on KD Johnson for not allowing Vescovi to land on his made 3. Either of those could have been called on the final play, but neither was called. There was obvious contact, so the question becomes who initiated it. If it was Green, that's another flopping violation. If it was Nkamhoua, and IMO, it was, then it's a shooting foul and 3 FTs.

Either way, just further evidence that SEC refs are awful.

I couldn’t watch a majority of the game, but didn’t Green get a call on a 3 point attempt? I’m pretty sure he shot 3 FT’s. So, you can add Auburn getting one benefit too. But Green’s acting clearly went against him.

Have to disagree on the foul as already pointed out, pictures don’t lie. Johnson did smack in Plav’s shoulder, but that was a legal screen. Teammates should have communicated but that team is just like their coach, and they can have him.

Watch the replay, not the photos. Olivier jumped towards him and initiated contact. It was a clear foul on him. No point in denying that we got away with one there. That said, Green was shooting horribly and I doubt he makes all three free throws even if they had called it.

I couldn’t watch a majority of the game, but didn’t Green get a call on a 3 point attempt? I’m pretty sure he shot 3 FT’s. So, you can add Auburn getting one benefit too. But Green’s acting clearly went against him.

He did, but I didn't have a problem with that call. ZZ isn't tall enough to jump straight up and block shots on the perimeter, so he has to jump towards his man. The real issue there is that Green is a 28.6% 3-pt shooter and shot the ball from 25'. Let him have that shot. Same for KD Johnson. Let them shoot their team out of games. Don't bail them out.

I think the refs would have called that a foul on the last shot had the AU shooter not kicked both legs out. Saw a replay this morning from behind the shooter and looked like he had both legs wrapped around Oliver. Had it not been the last play of the game, there would have been another T for Auburn.
I agree. I still think it was a foul but the shooter did kick out his legs somewhat. The refs were probably expecting that and didn’t blow the whistle.

It stinks for both teams. TN won a hard fought game against a top 25 team and they won’t get the full credit they deserve. AU on the other hand should have received the 3 ft attempts to try and tie the game.

The constant flopping, complaining, and excess drama by Green and Johnson throughout the game led to the final no-call. The ref's had saw enough of their nonsense, and they weren't buying it at the end. The worst of it all was Johnson laying on the flooring acting as if he was struck in the head when the replay clearly showed he just fell on his butt from the screen Uros set, and his team mate didn't help him out. I'm sure the official was embarrassed he had stopped the play once he watched the replay.

That said, ON needs to learn from his mistake on that play. It's not the first time he has found himself in a similar position at the end of the half or game.

Reputation. He didn't get that call because of the early flops. The same reason UP got the technical. The refs were waiting for him to say something and immediately rung him up because of his reputation.

Last edited:
He did, but I didn't have a problem with that call. ZZ isn't tall enough to jump straight up and block shots on the perimeter, so he has to jump towards his man. The real issue there is that Green is a 28.6% 3-pt shooter and shot the ball from 25'. Let him have that shot. Same for KD Johnson. Let them shoot their team out of games. Don't bail them out.

I agree, but Green went down on that first foul call when he could have landed on his feet. I couldn’t tell if ZZ hit him up top, but ZZ went out and across. How many times did Green fall on a 3 pointer? That’s the sign of a guy kicking out and flopping. He lands at a severe angle and falls. It’s not a natural shot- probably why he shoots a bad percentage.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I just saw video of the Auburn game, and I cannot logically explain how that referee could not call Nkamhoua for a foul on Auburn's final shot!

Sure, we can take solace in the idea that the bad calls even out over the course of a season, but HOW--in that instance--does a ref swallow his whistle? Is human judgement that fallible? Are games rigged? How do you explain that call?

To my knowledge of the game, despite Olivier's raised hands and stable upper body, jump-stopping into his final position he was obviously late. He moved his body into the shooter's landing space( who did not elevate for his shot in an exaggeratedly forward disposition). Textbook call--right?

And even when refs choose to "let 'em play" in the final seconds, no matter how much extra contact they allow, they always reward basketball IQ and punish a stupid or clumsy move.

I come to VolNation to learn as much as to vent, so please enlighten me: was it me, or the referee, that missed something on that final play?

*note: I later saw Bruce Pearl's postgame interview, and he said he received "no explanation" about that final call.
I think the refs have determined that Bruce has coached his players to try to draw fouls on their jump shots and will not let him get sways with it. The players always fall backwards on a contested shot and sprawl the legs toward the defensive play in hopes they will get a foul called. Yesterday , it did not work. If fact, we may have gotten a couple of calls go our way for a change.

Reactions: Caculator
I agree, but Green went down on that first foul call when he could have landed on his feet. I couldn’t tell if ZZ hit him up top, but ZZ went out and across. How many times did Green fall on a 3 pointer? That’s the sign of a guy kicking out and flopping. He lands at a severe angle and falls. It’s not a natural shot- probably why he shoots a bad percentage.

You didn't likely see it but ZZ didn't foul Green on the first foul. He made a point during the ensuing timeout to ask the ref to watch Green for flopping. Sure enough the next time Green flopped again, the ref called timeout. Checked the replay -deemed it was a flop and awarded us a technical and a free throw. Then Johnson had the phantom concussion. Once again the refs stopped the play. Once again they recognized it as just another flop job. There were 4 or 5 other times of flops or semi flops. I think the refs got tired of it and were just wanting both teams to play basketball. Auburn was the team that cried Wolf too often.

Watch the replay, not the photos. Olivier jumped towards him and initiated contact. It was a clear foul on him. No point in denying that we got away with one there. That said, Green was shooting horribly and I doubt he makes all three free throws even if they had called it.

There were many more egregious fouls that were not called. I don’t see any reason to start calling it tight on that one play. If the refs were calling it tight then they would have whistled a foul when Santi had the last turnover and on the illegal screen on ZZ in the same last play sequence.

Pearl could have been tee’d up multiple times for being out of the coaching box AND on the court if rules were going to be strictly enforced as written.

I think the refs would have called that a foul on the last shot had the AU shooter not kicked both legs out. Saw a replay this morning from behind the shooter and looked like he had both legs wrapped around Oliver. Had it not been the last play of the game, there would have been another T for Auburn.
I would agree. I think that more than anything thatjumped out of the play. Green is notorious for doing that (he got one technical already in this game) and probably won’t get that call very often. The last several minutes were quite hectic and they were letting them play. I think that too effected the “no call”.

Exactly. We got rebound no T called. That was only call that was a no call Greene does that every game & every SEC REF knows it.
Think about it, how many of you all shoot a 3 and then kick your legs out in a sitting position as a normal shooting stance. It’s a flop style like a charge flop. It’s an attempt to lure a ref into a call.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

I agree, it's bizarre looking. My point is don't even put yourself in position to get called for it. Let him have that shot. He sucks.

Reactions: VolGee4
I am guessing here that because O stood straight, not leaning in, the ref thought the Auburn player jumped into him and then flopped. It was easy to see O was leaning in from the side angle, maybe not so easy from behind. Best guess.
Auburn had a tech earlier in the game for the player kicking out his feet on a three. Another where he kicked out his feet but the Ut player was called.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Because it was his 3rd flop of the game. If he hadn’t flopped they probably would’ve called it. Can you call a flop and a foul? Because in that case he would shot his FTs to tie it then Zeigler would’ve nailed the game winning free throw. Result is a no call.
yep...floppers aren't rewarded

VN Store

Back