How good is Jim Chaney?

ONLY OUT OF NECESSITY !!!!! HE DID NOT WANT TO RESORT BACK TO GEORGIA STATE AND BYU............AND YES I AM YELLING. If you will recall Jeremy Pruitt even had to tell Chaney to open the offense up during one of the halftimes...............it was entirely too mellow during the first half. Chaney will literally run off tackle every play if can sneak in a win. His motto: Three yards and a cloud of dust. He and Johnny Majors think a lot alike.
The playbook is a few scribbles on a dirty napkin when JG is in at QB.

Watching Georgia’s offense struggle tonight against a defense that’s been slightly above average all year made me smile.

UGA is rolling with 5-star studs all over the place and a QB they chose over Justin Fields, but have regressed mightily without Jim Chaney.

My thread title it rhetorical. Jim’s a boss and it’s great to be a Tennessee Vol!

Yep Uga sucks without him.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Chaney really managed JF. If you go back and look at Fromme's stats last year he rarely threw 20 passes a game, think hr threw 13 and 14 couple games.
He has thrown over 40 in a game 2 or 3 times this year.,
In their defense, UGA was missing some valuable receivers which hurt them badly, just hope we are not saying that next year.
They were missing valuable receivers.... as in, all of them lol. Losing the top 5 receivers from 2018 has been a huge problem for UGA all year. Then last night, Pickens has to sit the 1st half, Cager is out with a knee and they lose another guy in the first half. Those 3 near misses on the first drive set the tone.

Purdue - I don’t recall Brees handing the ball of every play. I think he broke some records by the throwing it just a little.
UT - Crompton - play action was key.
Bray - gunslinger.
Arky - big line, ran it. Did throw quite a bit though
Pitt - turned a once forgotten about Peterman into an NFL draft pick. That was a balanced offesive team.
UGA - with those backs and that line, why not control clock and continually pound on the defense. Wasn’t Fromm considered best QB in East coming into this year? Why? Maybe Jim knew how to call a play?

He adapts to his players. Hell look at this year. How many games did we look like a different offense: just the Mizzu and Vandy games alone show how he knows how to call a game

UTM Graduate...............Vol fan since mid 50's..............never a Chaney fan !
Never say never. Brother I’ve changed my nevers plenty. But if it sticks with you I hope you dislike him for a long time and the Vols win 5 Nattys while your not liking him. Heck fire I’ll hate him too if that’s what it takes.

Does anyone know who the OC is at LSU?

OC are kinda like the qb. They get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Unless he has changed drastically, I don't recall him being a genius the last time he was here and he wasn't retained.

Reactions: ReelfootVol
They were missing valuable receivers.... as in, all of them lol. Losing the top 5 receivers from 2018 has been a huge problem for UGA all year. Then last night, Pickens has to sit the 1st half, Cager is out with a knee and they lose another guy in the first half. Those 3 near misses on the first drive set the tone.
The problem has been that too much was put on Fromm this season. Chaney was criticized for being too conservative with Fromm, truth is he new what Fromm was capable of. LSU took away the run and bet Fromm couldn’t win the game, they were right.
Fromm missed many throw last night.
Missing receivers or not there were plenty of open men and Fromm couldn’t get them the ball. Georgia has to run the ball, or they’re DOA.

If you look at the Mizzou game he passed a lot because that was the better opportunity. Against Candy he ran because that was the better opportunity. Wasn't it 1st and 10 when Chaney called the swing pass that ga state intercepted? I think he calls games based on what the defense gives. But the fact is when you pass 4 things can happen and 3 of them are bad.

Purdue - I don’t recall Brees handing the ball of every play. I think he broke some records by the throwing it just a little.
UT - Crompton - play action was key.
Bray - gunslinger.
Arky - big line, ran it. Did throw quite a bit though
Pitt - turned a once forgotten about Peterman into an NFL draft pick. That was a balanced offesive team.
UGA - with those backs and that line, why not control clock and continually pound on the defense. Wasn’t Fromm considered best QB in East coming into this year? Why? Maybe Jim knew how to call a play?

He adapts to his players. Hell look at this year. How many games did we look like a different offense: just the Mizzu and Vandy games alone show how he knows how to call a game
Exactly! Chaney is also one of the best at manipulating the opposition and adapting to in game situation. There are many who can scheme, game plan, recruit, and are more flashy. Chaney is a great in game coach, managing the play book and the personnel.

Reactions: coachinva
Currently, I think Chany and the LSU guy at the two best play callers in the conference.

And, the SEC is the best conference

Say what you like, in my opinion Jim Chaney is not even in the same league with Lane Kiffin calling offensive plays !!! Call me an idiot if you like, have been called much worse. I never have liked Chaney, nor will I ever like him.
If thats true why did Lane pick JC as his OC at Tenn? Lane evidently respected Chaney s play calling ability

Reactions: Pride85
Jim Chaney is the difference between Ga going to a bowl game instead of the playoffs. Ga fans will say losing Chaney was no big deal but they are straight out lying
Georgia lost the house outside of Swift. You can't deny that has had a major impact on offense. Also the injuries/suspension gave them no shot last night. Let's be fair.
But yeah, they act like it was no big deal and was ok to see him leave. Some Vol fans have had problems with him. My question is:
How many guys out there that's not currently a HC (and not going to jump at it after 1 good season) is better than Chaney? I demand a list from those people.

What I like most about Chaney is his ability to call plays and end games on OFFENSE this year. He doesn’t want to punt the ball to the other team and give them any more chances. He may have conservative stretches throughout the game, but never in critical moments.

He is so good he didn't lose to Ga State or BYU.

Wait, nevermind.

You can keep pulling that card. It will be gold until TN is winning 10 games per year. I get it. But surely you have the ability to see that a good coach is about progress. I think this thread is pointing out GA's slow decline and the Vols (yes slow) improvement.

Chaney is very good as a play caller. He's not perfect, and yes I know no one is, but he's not the savior many pump him up to be. He has his flaws, gets stubborn, can be overly conservative and overly explosive. You can see him one game bore you to death with stale play calling, the next game, bombs away. He'll also drive down the field using runs or passes, then completely flip to the other once in the red zone. Innovative? No. That he is not. Executioner? Yes. That's what makes him very good. There are many many others that are more creative, dynamic, intuitive than he is. They usually end up head coaching which diminishes their best talents. Kiffen is a much wilder play caller, but he's not a stickler for execution, or at least wasn't when he was here. Spurrier? I hate the guy, but he probably still is a better play caller in a game than Chaney. Trying to rank OCs is hard due to so many variables. Schemers, situational calls, innovators, disciplined execution. Chaney has never really married to a system, which means he's never perfected one like some others have.

The best thing he has going for him is he's very good, won't move up to head coach (meaning he's stable if you can keep him as we appear to be able to), and he's not married to anything specific. I'd like him to go see his buddy Drew and pick up some of the Saints offensive ideas like LSU has incorporated.

Jim Chaney has the same mind set for offensive football as he did back in 1940 when he was at Purdue !!!! 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He only throws the ball in have too situations. Rarely comes out throwing the ball on 1st and 10. Entirely too predictable and all he wants to do is run off tackle , the same stuff he ran at Purdue back in the olden days. He needs desperately to move up into the 21st century in his play calling. That is exactly why Georgia no longer wanted him , in my opinion. And I would gladly tell him that face to face if I I ever got a chance. I have been watching Tenn football since the late 50's so I have a right to complain.

You serious Clark?

I have no idea what team you are watching but Chaney is NONE of the above.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to get in to it with someone who has his mind so made up. I really wonder if he does watch.

VN Store

Back