How likely is it that UT is doing some Ole Miss?

0% chance we ever do anything like this ever. Make sure you tell everyone that. Spread the news.

All things considered, this is Tennessee. It isn't a hard sell. Maybe a few things done that weren't by the book, but overall I think Jones & CO. did a great job selling right off the bat. Getting that first class was paramount in our success recruiting the next couple classes.

Maybe my Tennessee blinders are prohibiting me from seeing it in a more cynical light.

Reactions: 1 person
Flags went up everywhere when Freeze signed that big class 3 years back. New coach in a down trodden program signs a top 5 class. Something didn't add up - right?

Everyone would agree UT was down trodden after the Kiffen / Doolittle fiasco. CBJ in his 1st full year on the job signs a top 5 class. How dirty did UT have to get in order to make that class happen? UT has a much much better history / tradition vs Ole Miss so maybe not too dirty? Or are all the power 5 programs constantly breaking the rules throwing out cash like candy at a Christmas parade?

Is there a player from that 2014 class or 2015 class that was as far out of nowhere as Ole Miss landing 3 5-stars (2 of which had no connection to Ole Miss or the state of Mississippi) on NSD?

Most of our elite prospects are from Tennessee (Hurd, Malone, Barnett, Phillips, Richmond) or legacies (McKenzie, Warrior, TKjr, Bates, and the Berrys).

Even guys like Preston (who had no connections and were from out of state) committed to us a year before he blew up as 5 star.

We never had a 5 star kid from way up north (like Laquon Treadwell) commit to us with zero ties. The only elite guy to sign with us with zero ties and out of state was Tuttle. But at least he was from the state next door (North Carolina).

Now none of this is dispositive. We might still pay players as well. But we're definitely not as shady as Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I cannot wait to watch the 30 for 30 documentary on Larry Tunsil and the Ole Miss fiasco

Can't believe Sexton didn't have him prepared for last night. Major fail on his part IMO. And that kid has issues....very talented, but issues galore.

As much as one would like to think their program is clean, there's always a certain level of dirtiness that's inevitable.

I must be naive to think and hope we run a fairly clean program. . .

Most of our elite recruits have been Tennessee kids or legacies. And for guys like Tuttle or Preston, they were from the state next door (Georgia and North Carolina). The few guys on the team from way outside our recruiting footprint are under the radar 3 star recruits like John Kelly are legacies like Kahlil.

We've never had a Laquon Treadwell-esque WTF signing. A 5-star from across the country with no ties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Most of our elite recruits have been Tennessee kids or legacies. And for guys like Tuttle or Preston, they were from the state next door (Georgia and North Carolina). The few guys on the team from way outside our recruiting footprint are under the radar 3 star recruits like John Kelly are legacies like Kahlil.

We've never had a Laquon Treadwell-esque WTF signing. A 5-star from across the country with no ties.

Kids don't have to come from far away to get paid. In fact those close would expect it if those from far away were getting funds. including legacy kids.

You really think they would not expect it due to being in state or legacy?

you pay 3 or 4 you are going to pay everyone.. something..

Reactions: 3 people

Bryce Brown

Reactions: 8 people

Kevin Simon ring a bell?

Jesse Mahalona??

Albert Toeaina??

Jonathan Mapu??

Kenny O'Neal???

Dee Morley??

James Banks??

all 5 stars from outside our footprint

Reactions: 6 people

Treadwell did have a connection to Ole Miss. The year before they had signed his best friend from High School. I think the guy was also related to Treadwell.

Kevin Simon ring a bell?

Jesse Mahalona??

Albert Toeaina??

Jonathan Mapu??

Kenny O'Neal???

Dee Morley??

James Banks??

all 5 stars from outside our footprint

I was only talking about the Butch Jones era which the OP clearly referred to.

D4H's career as a Vol fan only goes back to 2013 when Dobbs was a freshman.

Actually I've been a fan since the Brent Schaeffer days. I will say that I lost some of my die hard interest during the down years with Dooley. Got reinvigorated about the program in 2014 after we signed that great recruiting class.

I spent 2014 mostly following our stud recruits like Hurd and Malone. I literally didn't know anything about Dobbs till the Alabama game. I was impressed. Then I saw South Carolina. After that I became D4H.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually I've been a fan since the Brent Schaeffer days. I will say that I lost some of my die hard interest during the down years with Dooley. Got reinvigorated about the program in 2014 after we signed that great recruiting class.

I spent 2014 mostly following our stud recruits like Hurd and Malone. I literally didn't know anything about Dobbs till the Alabama game. I was impressed. Then I saw South Carolina. After that I became D4H.

You lost interest in the Vols during the Dooley era but your favorite past time is lecturing the rest of us on your vast football knowledge and Nostradamus like predictions. Figures.

Reactions: 16 people

VN Store

Back