How likely is it that UT is doing some Ole Miss?

Actually I've been a fan since the Brent Schaeffer days. I will say that I lost some of my die hard interest during the down years with Dooley. Got reinvigorated about the program in 2014 after we signed that great recruiting class.

I spent 2014 mostly following our stud recruits like Hurd and Malone. I literally didn't know anything about Dobbs till the Alabama game. I was impressed. Then I saw South Carolina. After that I became D4H.

Bandwagon fan. Can't say I'm surprised at this.

Reactions: 14 people
Wasn't there some story about Tee Martin's vehicle breaking down and Fulmer and them providing money to repair it???? Rumor or any truth to it?

Wasn't there some psycho professor who accuse Spencer Riley of not going to class and that the coaches knew about it but he received passing grades in order to remain eligible? If I remember correctly, the professor has some ax to grind with the athletic program.

In no form or fashion is UT involved in this type of blatant violations!! Not under Butch's watch.

However, I am 100% positive every other school is doing this type of thing.

Motto: "Deny everything and demand proof"

Delete the thread and we'll forget the question was ever asked.

Reactions: 1 person
To me, I always use the "does it raise eyebrows" test. Tennessee, while recruiting at a high level hasn't really done anything recently that makes me go hmmm...same for Georgia, Florida, LSU, etc...Ole Miss and Auburn on the other hand, it seems like every other recruit is suspicious. Guys not having them in their top 10 and then committing? Suspicious. Things like that happen every week at places like Ole Miss and Auburn.

Reactions: 2 people
Please, for the love of God, don't tell me Derek Dooley cheated.....

Old saying is "when one skeleton comes out of the closet, they call come out". Lord knows Tennessee has had their share of "skeletons" come out but fortunately none as ugly as Ole Miss. Cant imagine with all of the issues around the AD in the past 5-6 yrs that they could keep players getting deals like Tunsil, etc got at Ole Miss quiet....

I do think that College sports is on a fast and slippery slope to the "Wild, Wild days of the 80s" when everyone went to the highest bidder. Too much $$$$ involved and too much pressure to win. And the NCAA is nutless

Yup, and if Tunsil (an offensive tackle) got paid. Imagine how much players like Nkemdiche (#1 overall recruit), Treadwell (#1 WR), and Patterson (#1 overall QB) received from the OM coaches. Im thinking that they are going to, at the very least, vacate a bunch of wins.

Not so fast my friend! If the NCAA Commissioner has friendships with anyone of authority at Ole Miss, then a fake investigation will take place. A.D., President, Head Coach, etc. etc.

Wasn't there some story about Tee Martin's vehicle breaking down and Fulmer and them providing money to repair it???? Rumor or any truth to it?

A life long friend of Tee's family in Mobile provided him a vehicle. I believe that is what your remembering. Dickey took care of it..

I don't believe anything came out yesterday that the NCAA was not already in the loop on with their on-going investigation. nothing new to them. That is just my opinion

Flags went up everywhere when Freeze signed that big class 3 years back. New coach in a down trodden program signs a top 5 class. Something didn't add up - right?

Everyone would agree UT was down trodden after the Kiffen / Doolittle fiasco. CBJ in his 1st full year on the job signs a top 5 class. How dirty did UT have to get in order to make that class happen? UT has a much much better history / tradition vs Ole Miss so maybe not too dirty? Or are all the power 5 programs constantly breaking the rules throwing out cash like candy at a Christmas parade?

Every major program does it.

Tunsil should never be welcomed to Oxford again.

You lost interest in the Vols during the Dooley era but your favorite past time is lecturing the rest of us on your vast football knowledge and Nostradamus like predictions. Figures.

I usually get upset with people quoting D4H. This is an exception though. Thank you for quoting him this time. :hi:

It explains a lot.

Wasn't there some psycho professor who accuse Spencer Riley of not going to class and that the coaches knew about it but he received passing grades in order to remain eligible? If I remember correctly, the professor has some ax to grind with the athletic program.

Sounds like Linda Bensel-Myers. She was a wart disguised as an English professor. :eek:lol:

Actually I've been a fan since the Brent Schaeffer days. I will say that I lost some of my die hard interest during the down years with Dooley. Got reinvigorated about the program in 2014 after we signed that great recruiting class.

I spent 2014 mostly following our stud recruits like Hurd and Malone. I literally didn't know anything about Dobbs till the Alabama game. I was impressed. Then I saw South Carolina. After that I became D4H.

The "Brent Schaeffer Days"?? Lol. All 12 of them? An eventual transfer after 1 season who threw 37 career passes and 2 tds during his single season? THATS what made you a UT fan? What grade were you in?

If everything you listed in your post makes up your "Vol Fan bona fides".....that sure as hell explains a lot. At least you were honest about it I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
So by "never" you meant the last 3 years?....

"We've never had a Laquon Treadwell-esque WTF signing. A 5-star from across the country with no ties."

-D4H

KB you know good and well D4H will find a way to back out of this one, or just won't show up the rest of the thread.

Top flight programs tend to make the NCAA look the other way. For example, you will never convince me that Alabama is not fudging just a little. Actually, the prevailing thought seems to be that it is okay unless you get caught. I mean, programs that are consistently National Championship programs normally don't raise a red flag. However, a program that has never won a National Championship in football in the program's 100 year history all of a sudden, wins two National Championships in row; will raise a red flag for the NCAA.

Not as likely as you make it seem. Ole Miss has little to offer as far as facilities and tradition and prestige. (Although their beautiful women are certainly an upside!)

Tennessee, on the other hand, has top notch facilities, tradition, prestige, Championship pedigree, NFL players, etc. And our women are beautiful too (maybe a little too much, given how some of our guys can't resist them.)

Point is that Ole Miss needs to cheat much more than Tennessee in order to attract top talent.

That said, Butch is still likely to be "bending" the rules some. BUT not as much as Ole Miss, Bama, and Clemson. (I threw Bama in the mix because Lane Kiffin!)

I hope not, cheating ultimately catches up, admittedly sometimes it arrives too late. But, seems to me if some guys are getting 'paid' or benefits, the whole team is gonna know it, and unless the whole team is on the take, then you have a divisive inner team issue, that could destroy a season. Plus, players on the take, make poor leaders, look at Congress. I know we're hungry but IMO paying ransom is not the way I want to see Tennessee Return to Glory. And THIS is the YEAR. GBO!

The "Brent Schaeffer Days"?? Lol. All 12 of them? An eventual transfer after 2 season who threw 37 career passes and 2 tds during his single season? THATS what made you a UT fan? What grade were you in?

If everything you listed in your post makes up your "Vol Fan bona fides".....that sure as hell explains a lot. At least you were honest about it I guess.

Total fair weather fan. Can't believe he admitted to that either.

VN Store

Back