How many SEC teams make the 12 team playoff? Which ones?

Anyone think the SEC championship game winner and loser will most likely make the playoff?

And, maybe one or two more one loss or two loss SEC teams?

UGA, TX, Ole Miss, and possibly a fourth TN/LSU/Mizzou. I don’t think Bama makes it either. I think DeBoer is a decent hire, but they’ve practically lost all their starters to the portal.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Anyone think the SEC championship game winner and loser will most likely make the playoff?

And, maybe one or two more one loss or two loss SEC teams?
The two participants in the SEC title game are pretty much going to be guaranteed a spot in the playoff.

Reactions: LouderVol
looking at this year, Oklahoma with a 10-2 record would have been left out..

5 teams with 3 losses could have made the mix had any been able to squeeze out one win. Of course that would have knocked out another team at 29th 2 losses.

Automatics this year were Michigan, Washington, Alabama, Florida St, Texas and Liberty. At large would have been Georgia, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oregon, Ohio St and Penn St based on the 12/3 CFP standings. If I'm remembering correctly

I think Missouri D really drops off they lost a lot, and their D coordinator knew that and took the money and ran. They will miss their 25 runs a game back that helped keep the D off the field and controlled TOP. They do have the easiest schedule in the SEC, but they still play 4 or 5 teams that could go either way IMO.
Not a bad analysis outside of the DC took the Money and ran cause of the huge drop off...he was going back home. He had just signed a contract extension with us and we even upped it in a battle with LSU, but he and his wife wanted to go back to their roots and it was obvious we was gonna lose the bidding war.

As I said in another thread we return 7 starters from last years Defense. Drink did a good job hitting the TP and Recruiting to fill the voids but it is going to be a who knows how fast our New DC can put out a Credible product.
On offense I think we will be OK at RB we picked up two Highly touted TP RB's to fill that roster spot.

As you said we have a pretty favorable schedule and but 4-5 games are a PUSH.... no doubt. We might win 6 games and we might 10/12 if everything goes our way. But I'd say 7-9 is where we will land

I'll go with 3-5? If I had to guess I'd say

Locks:
Georgia
Ole Miss

Possible
Texas
Tennessee
Missouri
Alabama

If I remember right it's the 6 highest ranked conference champs and then the 6 highest ranked remaining. So I'll go with 4. The SEC champ and 3 at large.
From what @TNRazor posted, yes.

I'd like it more if it were just the 4 highest rated conference champs.

How CFP teams are selected under new format​

The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format.
It's reasonable to have at least 6 make it, if you use the final 2023 top polls. 6 SEC teams are in the top 12.

I went back to late November and first week of December and some teams flip flopped, but the AP had 6 SEC or would be SEC (Texas/OK) teams consistently ranked in the top 12.

If all conference champions have automatic bids, that's obviously one automatic for the SEC. It's reasonable that outside of the conference champs getting in, the field is made up of mostly SEC teams......

Someone please explain the playoff format. Do conference champs have automatic bids?
I think you are going to have 4 max. Willing to bet the committee gets SEC fatigue towards the end of the season and drops someone even if they win, like they did with FSU.

Both teams that make the Championship game should make it, now that we are dropping divisions. and then you have at least one more in the Top 10. and then a school who should have been 12 will get dropped for a lower rated conference champ.

I will be interested to see if it remains 6 conference champs, with only a "Power 4" now, you will have two "at large" conference champs. and some years that will be a really bad team sneaking in.
Here’s what ESPN reported recently re: the format:

“The 11 presidents and chancellors who have the ultimate authority over the playoff are expected to soon approve a model that rewards the five highest-ranked conference champions and the next seven highest-ranked teams. That places a renewed emphasis on the conference championship games, and it also guarantees a spot in the 12-team field for the highest-ranked Group of 5 champion -- a major change from the four-team system, in which the only guarantee for the top G5 champ was a New Year's Six bowl.

"Our leagues will have a shot," Aresco said.

The four highest-ranked conference champions will earn the top-four seeds and receive a first-round bye. The other eight teams will play in the first round, with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or "at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution."”

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
So is the winner of the Washington State vs Oregon State game considered the Pac12 champion this coming season?
That's a pretty sticky situation. Unless they join with some other teams to form a conference, the answer is yes.
Maybe, but they’re not going to be guaranteed a spot for such; they’d have to get in without being one of the at-larges in the top 12 overall rankings.

To quote ESPN: “The four highest-ranked conference champions will earn the top-four seeds and receive a first-round bye. The other eight teams will play in the first round, with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or "at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution…

…Any independent like Notre Dame cannot earn a first-round bye because it cannot win a conference title. That also applies to Washington State and Oregon State, which have a temporary scheduling arrangement with the Mountain West and can compete for the national championship, but aren't eligible to win the MWC and don't constitute a league of their own, per NCAA and CFP rules.”

looking at this year, Oklahoma with a 10-2 record would have been left out..

5 teams with 3 losses could have made the mix had any been able to squeeze out one win. Of course that would have knocked out another team at 29th 2 losses.

Automatics this year were Michigan, Washington, Alabama, Florida St, Texas and Liberty. At large would have been Georgia, Ole Miss, Missouri, Oregon, Ohio St and Penn St based on the 12/3 CFP standings. If I'm remembering correctly
Don't forget the wild card....Notre Dame. They can get away with having a weak schedule. They'll always get a very favorable ranking due to the eyeballs they'll bring to any bowl or playoff game. That will likely shrink the available at large slots by 1 every year. Personally, I wish they'd force ND to join a conference and play a conference schedule. Leaving them to be able to pick and choose a schedule gives them a real advantage IMO. Also, I've not heard HOW the league will put schedules together. Without some sort of guideline they're bound to follow, I'll continue looking at our schedules as if they'll be among the toughest in the league/country every single season. Thought we'd be seeing bama and UGA rotate off our schedule at times. I'll believe it when I see it.

Everybody is just gonna beat everybody up so I think any conference getting more than 3 is going to be VERY rare.

3 each for SEC and B10
4 for the other champions via the rules
Leaves 2 spots open

ND will "usually" grab one of those spots when at all possible in the committees eyes. Then promptly lose in the first game each time

Leaves one So next highest rated non champion from the B12 or ACC.

A non power 5 has one of those spots.

Reactions: posivol
The rules say six conference champs and then the next six highest ranked teams.

Two at worst, and three in a special year. Four or more is unlikely.

The rules say six conference champs and then the next six highest ranked teams.

Two at worst, and three in a special year. Four or more is unlikely.
I think that changed after the Pac12 dissolved. I think ACC, SEC, BIG10, and BIG12 champs now get the top four seeds and a first round bye. Then the Group of Fives team with best record gets in with 7 other at large teams.

Don't forget the wild card....Notre Dame. They can get away with having a weak schedule. They'll always get a very favorable ranking due to the eyeballs they'll bring to any bowl or playoff game. That will likely shrink the available at large slots by 1 every year. Personally, I wish they'd force ND to join a conference and play a conference schedule. Leaving them to be able to pick and choose a schedule gives them a real advantage IMO. Also, I've not heard HOW the league will put schedules together. Without some sort of guideline they're bound to follow, I'll continue looking at our schedules as if they'll be among the toughest in the league/country every single season. Thought we'd be seeing bama and UGA rotate off our schedule at times. I'll believe it when I see it.
They pretty much already play an ACC schedule, they just need to make it official.

last year they already played 6 ACC games. coincidentally their game against Stanford last year would be the 7th ACC game they played.

They also played USC and Ohio State

in 2024 they have 5 ACC games, including Stanford. Then also play TAMU, USC, and Purdue.

they also always play Navy, I doubt that would go away with a conference schedule.

I think that there is going to be a lot more 10-2 and better teams this fall than many people think. With the conference expansions, come easier schedules for all teams.

I could see the following, JMO.

SEC has 4 or 5
ACC has 3 or 4
Big 12 has 3
Big 10 has 4 or 5
ND is possible
of course a G5 conference champ gets one spot.

I could be totally wrong and have not examined everyone's schedule in detail but seems possible to have more than this year at 10-2 or better

VN Store

Back