How's the turf looking?

I think they just need to install a new base with better drainage, honestly. Did they ever tear up the old AstroTurf base? Typically, it was concrete, but wih artificial, you put grating, sand, etc on top to drain. With natural, that concrete will cause drainage issues, because you cant "float" it, per say.

When they took out the artificial base, it looked almost like a crater before they brought in the truckloads of soil.All that old stuff is long gone.

Too much water was the culprit last year. UT needs to step it up to Zoysia grass and cut it down like Augusta. Playing on Zoysia fairways would be a beautiful site. GBO

Augusta National that we see during the Masters is a heavy overseed of Rye grass. When u walk on it it feels like summer Zoysia but of course Augusta doesn't look anything now like it does in the spring but I agree that zoysia would be the way to go.

Augusta National that we see during the Masters is a heavy overseed of Rye grass. When u walk on it it feels like summer Zoysia but of course Augusta doesn't look anything now like it does in the spring but I agree that zoysia would be the way to go.

I thought zoysia turns brown in early fall.

I wouldn't go that far....the players would rather play on concrete than play for Dooley again....

Its not about the players playing for him. It's about all the bad attention brought on every broadcast. Not one home game went by the turf wasn't talked about. How a major player like UTK couldn't maintain a good field.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought zoysia turns brown in early fall.

When the air temps hit between 45 and 50 degrees you will see the tips start to brown. When the soil temps get into the low seventies the plant itself will start to go into dormancy stage. The field would have to be seeded with rye. Which can cause some issues with footing due to the fact that some rye is slick as ice when wet. The last few years we have had some trouble with zoysia dying off in the middle tn area during the coldest of months. It is also very slow to recover from any type of damage. I would like to see them go to a bermuda/tall fescue/ bluegrass mix. That seems to work in this area wich is known as the transitional zone.

Reactions: 2 people
Last to turn green and first to turn brown.

I have Palisade zoysia that was still green this past Thanksgiving and greened up in late March. Zoysia is incredibly thick and tough when taken care of. Zoysia fairways allow the ball to set up high.

When the air temps hit between 45 and 50 degrees you will see the tips start to brown. When the soil temps get into the low seventies the plant itself will start to go into dormancy stage. The field would have to be seeded with rye. Which can cause some issues with footing due to the fact that some rye is slick as ice when wet. The last few years we have had some trouble with zoysia dying off in the middle tn area during the coldest of months. It is also very slow to recover from any type of damage. I would like to see them go to a bermuda/tall fescue/ bluegrass mix. That seems to work in this area wich is known as the transitional zone.
I agree on the Rye that's one reason I'm not a big fan of overseeding. Of course Augusta National has no choice but to overseed. That's one reason why the course is closed to play from late May until late October.

Can we get some dandelions in the endzone? What's a field without a few weeds? Instead of a "Field of Dreams" we could have a "Field of Dandy-Lions"! No? Come on--Be creative!
:loco: :clapping: Lol. Think we'd need some genetic engineering to make them orange & white though.

Yes, it is late.

Ahhhhh Zoysia. Loved by mediocre ball strikers word wide. I hate the stuff. Takes away length off the tee and rewards guys who need to have the ball "sitting up" to have a chance at hitting it.

I could see Zoysia causing some issues with footing and stability as well. When you drive a cart on the stuff, you can feel the cart "squirm" on the grass. Not sure if it would have the same effect on your feet if you were trying to change direction quickly.

Ahhhhh Zoysia. Loved by mediocre ball strikers word wide. I hate the stuff. Takes away length off the tee and rewards guys who need to have the ball "sitting up" to have a chance at hitting it.

I could see Zoysia causing some issues with footing and stability as well. When you drive a cart on the stuff, you can feel the cart "squirm" on the grass. Not sure if it would have the same effect on your feet if you were trying to change direction quickly.

Agree about the ball sitting up. :dance2:

There are finer strands of zoysia that aren't as "crunchy."

The problem would be recovery from 300 lb football players. It works for soccer but the player are smaller.

Pretty sure Augusta National is Bermuda overseeded with rye.

Zoysia is used on some soccer fields but for football it wouldn't repair quick enough. I know some golf courses use zoysia types but an iron shot is nothing compared to football cleats.

Seriously, Clark? Have you ever looked at par-3 tee box at a PGA event? You won't ever see anything like that anywhere on a football field.

Golfers are deadly assassins!

Reactions: 1 person
Seriously, Clark? Have you ever looked at par-3 tee box at a PGA event? You won't ever see anything like that anywhere on a football field.

Golfers are deadly assassins!

True, but they move the tees each day. You can't really do that in football.

Don't know how it would work in Knoxville, but my yard in West TN has a hardy mix of crab and poa annua (the latter is especially fit with all the rain this summer). It requires amazingly little effort on my part to maintain a lush green lawn. It seems impossible to damage whether mowing short or high, and I haven't had to water or fertilize in years.

Maybe I'll give Butch a call, or would Bain be the better option? Always better to reach the top dog right off the bat.

Reactions: 2 people
Summertime on VN......

Guys-At-Lawnmower-king-of-the-hill-10923640-720-480.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
If I were the coach I would want the field lined/numbered for big recruiting weekends and events.

Just looks better.

I don't get that at all. These are football players. They've seen unpainted fields if their school has a grass field.

I don't get that at all. These are football players. They've seen unpainted fields if their school has a grass field.

I'm sure they've seen locker rooms as well. UT still swags the TN one out when recruits are coming in. Its about a memorable impression.

VN Store

Back