How's the turf looking?

Does anyone know what the Bristol turf will be??? sodded? a constructed artificial turf assembly with give.????/

Bristol is going to be artificial.

UT needs to do whatever Baylor does to their field. It was amazing during some really wet weather last season.

Baylor's field is artificial.

Reactions: 4 people
Material base that will be used under the field at Bristol Motor Speedway for the Battle at Bristol. The track will have raised the infield 3.5 feet with the shown materials. A rubber pad will cover the material and the turf will then be applied on that.

57aba8d2f307c.image.jpg

57aba8ef246f7.image.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Not a fan of artificial turf, but you get a like for the photos. Very informative. :hi:

Material base that will be used under the field at Bristol Motor Speedway for the Battle at Bristol. The track will have raised the infield 3.5 feet with the shown materials. A rubber pad will cover the material and the turf will then be applied on that.

57aba8d2f307c.image.jpg

57aba8ef246f7.image.jpg

I think we should install Tifway 419 Bermuda. That's what both fields of the last 2 bowl games had and we absolutely kicked azz on that surface lol.

Reactions: 3 people
Last year was not only dangerous but down right embarrassing. Too much money in this AD to have a garbage field.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we should install Tifway 419 Bermuda. That's what both fields of the last 2 bowl games had and we absolutely kicked azz on that surface lol.

That's what was on the field last season. :thud:

It's not the turf's fault but rather the grounds crew.

Bristol is going to be artificial.

UT needs to do whatever Baylor does to their field. It was amazing during some really wet weather last season.

Baylor's field is artificial.

LOL, one of the fun things about being a VN poster to me is it's a lot like football. In that you cannot win every play every game, sometimes you goof, sometimes the other player simply beats you on that play. If you are here long enough and post enough, there'll come a day where somebody just blindsides the heck out of ya!!

Nice blind side hit man, a decleater! Lol don't get mad if it happens the other way on down the line, it's part of taking this field.:)

LOL, one of the fun things about being a VN poster to me is it's a lot like football. In that you cannot win every play every game, sometimes you goof, sometimes the other player simply beats you on that play. If you are here long enough and post enough, there'll come a day where somebody just blindsides the heck out of ya!!

Nice blind side hit man, a decleater! Lol don't get mad if it happens the other way on down the line, it's part of taking this field.:)

I seriously didn't mean to come across like that. I just tried answering 2 questions in the same post.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw a video yesterday of the band practicing of the new turf and it appeared that the turf was in excellent condition. If fact, the reporter who was committing on the band stated that the turf was in the best shape he had seen it in a number of years. Lets hope it holds up during the season.

I saw a video yesterday of the band practicing of the new turf and it appeared that the turf was in excellent condition. If fact, the reporter who was committing on the band stated that the turf was in the best shape he had seen it in a number of years. Lets hope it holds up during the season.

Spoiler alert: it won't. Hopefully, the next athletic director actually holds the groundskeeper responsible for the poor condition of the field as the season goes on.

Reactions: 2 people

Marched on it yesterday. 100% improvement. Felt amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Just landed in Ktown...taking my little ones for a tour of the facilities and catch a little bit of practice. Will report on the field conditions at Neyland later on when we get back....I have gotten some quite mixed reviews so far from others I have spoken with.

GBO!

new to VolNation but really wanted to see a thread on field condition. Last year was embarrassing, but not only that, it takes away our edge. I'm old enough to remember a great running back, Chuck Webb (1990 or so?) tearing up his knee on the old artificial surface, but I'm starting to think if we can't keep a good field maybe UT should go to some of the newer, more improved artificial ones.

Welcome! Not sure that is a popular choice, just get some people that knows what they are doing and I think the field will be fine.

VN Store

Back