Hubbs on 104.5

Obviously smaller DT's can chest bump more, Butch has a chart on this. He has it all under control.

Like it or not, Alabama is the standard for DL's right now. Agree?

Jonathan Allen is 291 lbs.

Here are the weights for the rest of their DL including ends:

305, 315, 309, 290, 238, 284, 319, 315, 280, 306, 268, 228

Looks like around 300 is about right. What is so wrong with Shoop's wanting this target weight? You want him to try to correct problems, but you overreact and bash when he identifies a perceived problem. :banghead2:

Reactions: 27 people
Easy there now. "Let me educate you", made many on here mad as a wet hen.

Go Vols!

LOL..it's just crazy man! I'd give anything if we could raise our fans base's football IQ. Again not all of course. It would be refreshing to our program, coaches, and players if they knew the fan base "gets it". Simple things such as understanding that you can't play 260 lb defensive ends across the D line (due to the loss of our D Tackles) and expect to stop ANYONE in the SEC. If you don't have it on the D line, you're not going to have it at LB or Secondary. It ALL STARTS UP FRONT!

Reactions: 11 people
Looks like around 300 is about right. What is so wrong with Shoop's wanting this target weight? You want him to try to correct problems, but you overreact and bash when he identifies a perceived problem. :banghead2:

Schoop is a seasoned coach, he should already know what his defense needs to perform well. This shouldn't be some miraculous revelation after a crap year. If you think recruiting trim DT's is going to solve our defensive problems you aren't thinking critically.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm no fan of Shoop , especially after the way the season ended, but you are spot on with this statement.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe trying to split the difference between 285 and 325

It's nothing for a college athlete to lose 25 pounds. If you're talented at 325 then there is a reason he is being highly recruited. I watched Daron Payne play every snap he ever took in high school. Heavy and talented. Guess where he plays and starts? Alabama defensive line as a sophomore. He dropped a few pounds and is kicking butt. Don't give me excuses. Our staff doesn't know what they are doing and that's why we will be 7-5, 8-4 with Butch.

Tuttle is 311. These guys can't lose 14 lbs?

Oh well.

The decision isn't about Tuttle. He's already there and for his size has very quick feet. Its about Gaddy evidently. 4 star Gaddy is 340+ and maybe not as explosive as they initially wanted. It takes a hell of a lot of dedication to drop 40-50 lbs for anyone but especially a kid that young. Kmac did a great job doing it.

Jonathan Allen isn't a 325lber but he damn sure a load and a stud as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Strong 300lb DTs who can run can play in ANY league

Reactions: 3 people
Interesting comments for a couple of reasons.

No less than Nick Saban has said that the S&C coach is the most important coach on the team because there are no limits on how much time he can spend with the players. A stronger, more physical O-line would go a long way towards improving our offense and making it more consistent next year. Get this hire right, and it could pay big dividends.

That Shoop is able to dictate the size of incoming DT recruits is a major indication that he is coming back next year (for better or worse). Also explains why Charles Mosely didn't move back to DT this year when we had the injuries.

Reactions: 6 people
It's nothing for a college athlete to lose 25 pounds. If you're talented at 325 then there is a reason he is being highly recruited. I watched Daron Payne play every snap he ever took in high school. Heavy and talented. Guess where he plays and starts? Alabama defensive line as a sophomore. He dropped a few pounds and is kicking butt. Don't give me excuses. Our staff doesn't know what they are doing and that's why we will be 7-5, 8-4 with Butch.

That's a blanket statement. It's very much a job to add and lose weight for some. People have different body types. It takes as much work as your conditioning or weight lifting. I know I've done it. Was 180 when I graduated high school 215 my junior year it's a job in itself

Schoop is a seasoned coach, he should already know what his defense needs to perform well. This shouldn't be some miraculous revelation after a crap year. If you think recruiting trim DT's is going to solve our defensive problems you aren't thinking critically.

To the contrary, I'm thinking very critically. I have no idea if Shoop is the panacea many thought. I had high hopes based on his past performance. But this season's D was a dumpster fire, leaving me scratching my head. By his choice or not, he was dealing with the hand dealt him as far as position coaches, players and S&C.

My analysis merely asks why is it a problem for several on here that the manager of that side of the ball addresses what he sees as a deficiency in strength and speed over weight? What do you expect him to do? Roll over and make absolutely no changes? Personally I hope that's only one minor change of the many, many soul searching changes (not only by him) necessary for this D to actually compete.

That's a blanket statement. It's very much a job to add and lose weight for some. People have different body types. It takes as much work as your conditioning or weight lifting. I know I've done it. Was 180 when I graduated high school 215 my junior year it's a job in itself

You're right, for some it may be hard but for most 25 pounds isn't nothing for a teenager.

How dare you bring logic and facts to this forum!

Reactions: 4 people
To the contrary, I'm thinking very critically. I have no idea if Shoop is the panacea many thought. I had high hopes based on his past performance. But this season's D was a dumpster fire, leaving me scratching my head. By his choice or not, he was dealing with the hand dealt him as far as position coaches, players and S&C.

My analysis merely asks why is it a problem for several on here that the manager of that side of the ball addresses what he sees as a deficiency in strength and speed over weight? What do you expect him to do? Roll over and make absolutely no changes? Personally I hope that's only one minor change of the many, many soul searching changes (not only by him) necessary for this D to actually compete.

If your D sucks with Khalil, Tuttle and Barnett on your D line...then either your scheme sucks or your assistant coaches aren't teaching your scheme correctly.

It's what we do.

1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)

He also said blaming the poor defensive performance on injuries was "a cop out". Said this defense allowed the 3rd most points on program history.

Also pointed out that Virginia Tech was on pace for about 450 yards (finished with 400 yards) before handing Tennessee 5-6 turnovers in losing the game. Pointed out that Tennessee was 100% healthy that game and that the defense was still very bad even at that point.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Shoop just wants a 300-315 pound DT with a lot of muscle, similar to Bama'a DT's rather than a 350+ DT with nothing but fat like KMac was when he got here. Nothing wrong with have lean, explosive DT's. That's what you need to win, not a bunch of weak fat guys like. Kendall Vickers is listed at 295 and he's been our best DT for two years now.

Reactions: 3 people
LOL. Yeah, a new S&C coach will make everything better. Who really believes this non-sense? This is the very definition of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

l agree with you. "lf" Butch believes the S&C position is the problem, then he is a bit delusional. The problem goes beyond strength and conditioning. Butch has prided in the fact that his players are well-conditioned. The problem l see is a breakdown somewhere between our coaches and players. Something is not transferring between what the coaches are teaching and the players performance. Obviously, most of the players like Butch, but l am not so sure they a "fearful respect" of him enough to "give their all" for him. A coach can be well-liked, but not respected. Saban is a good example of a coach who is fearfully respected by his players. When a player from Alabama screws up, l don't see Saban consoling him. He usually jerks him from the field and sets his ass on the bench. With Butch, l have seen him coddle a player after screwing up. Just an observation from a retired coach.

You must not listen to him enough, he's pretty critical of butch.. other day he stormed off his show, cause he was so mad at him..

Agree. He was far from a Butch Jones mouthpiece this morning during his 104.5 interview. He was very critical of Butch's presser performances from not only this year but all 4 years. Went out of his way to be critical there and pretty much spoke the truth about Butch and the program this morning without pulling very many punches.

VN Store

Back