Hubbs on 104.5

l agree with you. "lf" Butch believes the S&C position is the problem, then he is a bit delusional. The problem goes beyond strength and conditioning. Butch has prided in the fact that his players are well-conditioned. The problem l see is a breakdown somewhere between our coaches and players. Something is not transferring between what the coaches are teaching and the players performance. Obviously, most of the players like Butch, but l am not so sure they a "fearful respect" of him enough to "give their all" for him. A coach can be well-liked, but not respected. Saban is a good example of a coach who is fearfully respected by his players. When a player from Alabama screws up, l don't see Saban consoling him. He usually jerks him from the field and sets his ass on the bench. With Butch, l have seen him coddle a player after screwing up. Just an observation from a retired coach.

Strength and conditioning is certainly A problem but it's by no means solely THE problem.

Reactions: 1 person
If your D sucks with Khalil, Tuttle and Barnett on your D line...then either your scheme sucks or your assistant coaches aren't teaching your scheme correctly.

That's part of the soul searching necessary. Do not want to make excuses, but I'm gonna make a small one. :) Look at your DL list. Barnett was the only one of those there for every game. Barnett's effectiveness is limited if your DT's can't do their job at the level you need them to.

Lost Obrien after A&M, Lost Kmac after Bama, and Shy at USCe. They weren't great before, but what happened to the rushing stats after that? Add to that backup LB's that seemed to constantly get taken out of every single play, and you get gashed for 400 yds rushing per game.

Once again, jury is still out on Shoop for me. Several position coaches definitely need to be shown the door -especially secondary and LB, but based on this minor change he wants, he ain't going anywhere. So hopefully, he'll sack up, challenge Butch if that was why he didn't seem to have the bullets in his gun he needs, and do whatever it takes to get the job done and at least get to the defense he seemed to have every other damn place he's been, and not 109th.

Reactions: 2 people
If your D sucks with Khalil, Tuttle and Barnett on your D line...then either your scheme sucks or your assistant coaches aren't teaching your scheme correctly.

How many games did all 3 of them play together?

LOL..it's just crazy man! I'd give anything if we could raise our fans base's football IQ. Again not all of course. It would be refreshing to our program, coaches, and players if they knew the fan base "gets it". Simple things such as understanding that you can't play 260 lb defensive ends across the D line (due to the loss of our D Tackles) and expect to stop ANYONE in the SEC. If you don't have it on the D line, you're not going to have it at LB or Secondary. It ALL STARTS UP FRONT!

Good luck with that, raising football IQ is a lost cause, we are all experts and it's you that don't understand how football works(blue). Winning the east is easy even with a depleted DL.

Who knows what's gonna happen next?

Get it together Butch!

Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
Because that's all sorry a$$ fans do on here is complain! Sorry...but I've had it with all the ignorance that gets posted on here. Either learn the game (I mean really LEARN it)..or just keep your mouth shut! Too many talking head know it alls on here posting the same BS. Sorry Volnation...not directed at all....it just seems like most!

Dude this is a message forum for Vol fans to share their opinions. If you can't handle that then go to a Purdue forum.

Good luck with that, raising football IQ is a lost cause, we are all experts and it's you that don't understand how football works(blue). Winning the east is easy even with a depleted DL.

Who knows what's gonna happen next?

Get it together Butch!

Go Vols!

Weren't you the one two weeks ago or so with your whole "plan D" thing and convinced UT would be in the playoff after beating Bama in Atlanta?

Butch trying to find ways to improve the staff and the product on the field yet people bash him and say "what's the point?" Pure stupidity. People on this board want UT to fail next year just to have Butch fired. What kind of fan is that? Do I think butch is the man for the job? No. Do i want him to do every thing he can for our program to succeed next year? Yes.

Reactions: 10 people
Weren't you the one two weeks ago or so with your whole "plan D" thing and convinced UT would be in the playoff after beating Bama in Atlanta?

Yes I was. Heads up, it didn't work out.

Let's win our bowl and then win NSD.

Looks like 2017 is our year.

Jump higher Vols.(that's me too)

Go Vols!

The iceberg has already been hit. Which captain will Butch be, Francesco Schettino or Edward Smith?

My famous captains of the past knowledge is evidently lacking; I have no clue who these guys are.

However, I do know that the iceberg has yet to be hit. You may have mistaken the noise coming from the passengers as contact with the iceberg.

Reactions: 2 people
I get that the Gaddy twins are very large however there was video of one of them dunking and the other one doing gymnastic flips therefore the weight does not impact their athletic ability. I don't see how we can turn away any true D tackles right now. Put the guys on a diet when they get here.

Small Tackles will not cut it in this conference. Look at Bama and LSU or even Auburn you won't seem small tackles what you will see is big thick strong and fast 300lb + tackles eating folks alive. GBO!!!!

Maybe that's why he mentioned 300lb leaner faster tackles instead of slower 325lb+ tackles. 300 is significantly bigger over the course of a game than our 275 to 285 pound converted DEs we closed out the year with.

Butch trying to find ways to improve the staff and the product on the field yet people bash him and say "what's the point?" Pure stupidity. People on this board want UT to fail next year just to have Butch fired. What kind of fan is that? Do I think butch is the man for the job? No. Do i want him to do every thing he can for our program to succeed next year? Yes.
The program under Butch Jones is a Lead Zeppelin. It's going to burn, regardless. Don't whine because everyone else doesn't attach false hope to a hopeless cause.

1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)

What a day when 300-lb kids are considered "lean."

smh

l agree with you. "lf" Butch believes the S&C position is the problem, then he is a bit delusional. The problem goes beyond strength and conditioning. Butch has prided in the fact that his players are well-conditioned. The problem l see is a breakdown somewhere between our coaches and players. Something is not transferring between what the coaches are teaching and the players performance. Obviously, most of the players like Butch, but l am not so sure they a "fearful respect" of him enough to "give their all" for him. A coach can be well-liked, but not respected. Saban is a good example of a coach who is fearfully respected by his players. When a player from Alabama screws up, l don't see Saban consoling him. He usually jerks him from the field and sets his ass on the bench. With Butch, l have seen him coddle a player after screwing up. Just an observation from a retired coach.

The break down between the coaches and players is that the players are not listening to Jones anymore. They are tired of hearing clichés and coach speak constantly.

VN Store

Back