Huge news!

What Rusty Ensor says makes a LOT of sense to me. Hire a former MLB scout who can evaluate talent of a kid in HS.

Reactions: 1 person
I like Chris Burke but why are so many "Drive-By" fans up his rear?

I don't believe he's ever held a paid coaching position.
Certainly never been a head coach
Never even been a senior assistant coach

Yet because, he knows where Humanities Plaza is, he would be a good coach.

Reminds me of the mentally challenged people who call Basilio on a daily basis. (if that's not offensive to the mentally challenged to say)

Ironically (now that I think about it) I doubt most of the people who call that show know where the Humanities Plaza is located.

It's like the mouth-breathing morons who call talk radio and say "Hire Peyton!"

This. I think some say it because it's one of the few former Vols they can name.

I never was on the Burke bandwagon as a head coach a few years ago and I still think CDS is the man who can turn it around.

Regarding Burke,

1. He wants to be here, or he did a few years ago.
2. He would make a great assistant coach at this time. I think he's more than qualified to be an assistant.
3. If CDS does not get an extension then 1 and done would be okay, he'd go back to broadcasting.
4. I think the current players and recruits would relate very well to him.
5. if you've ever heard him speak (besides TV), you can tell he has passion for the game and knows what he's talking about. The kids will respect and listen to him.

Good luck trying to find another assistant that wants to be at UT right now...........

Reactions: 4 people
I like Chris Burke but why are so many "Drive-By" fans up his rear?

I don't believe he's ever held a paid coaching position.
Certainly never been a head coach
Never even been a senior assistant coach

Yet because, he knows where Humanities Plaza is, he would be a good coach.

Reminds me of the mentally challenged people who call Basilio on a daily basis. (if that's not offensive to the mentally challenged to say)

Ironically (now that I think about it) I doubt most of the people who call that show know where the Humanities Plaza is located.
Im sorry but Tennessee baseball doesn't have any "drive by" or bandwagon fans. This program is pathetic it started with CTR and its become very obvious CDS isnt part of the solution. I have no idea what people see in Burke however i would perfer either Jim Toman or the Dallas Baptist coach.

Im sorry but Tennessee baseball doesn't have any "drive by" or bandwagon fans. This program is pathetic it started with CTR and its become very obvious CDS isnt part of the solution. I have no idea what people see in Burke however i would perfer either Jim Toman or the Dallas Baptist coach.

Serrano has accomplished way more than either of those coaches. Serrano has a title and has taken multiple schools to Omaha. That's about as good as we could ever get here

Reactions: 7 people
Give Serrano two year extension, bring in Chris Burke as associate HC in charge of hitting and defense. Serrano gets another chance at rebuilding the program, CB gets groomed for a HC job down the road and it's a win win for everyone.

Heck, why not, I'm actually good with a two year extention. How do you think it's gonna work when trying to sell UT ball...DS - well, young man I might not be here next year but take a chance on your baseball future with me...seriously...not good. CB is a VFL with instant recognition, credibility (pretty good player:)), and youth to relate to these young kids and reinvigorate our baseball program...big asset IMHO.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 3 people
Serrano has accomplished way more than either of those coaches. Serrano has a title and has taken multiple schools to Omaha. That's about as good as we could ever get here

Serrano has taken 2 teams (irvine and fullerton once each) to Omaha out of the big west conference and has never won a title as a head coach.

Reactions: 2 people
This. I think some say it because it's one of the few former Vols they can name.

Burke as HC, Helton as hitting coach and R.A. as pitching coach. Good start? (blue font all around)

Hopefully this move will cut down on the base path blunders if nothing else.

Last edited:
you really didn't expect it?

GO BIG ORANGE!

I guess I did, it wasn't like a huge surprise, but then it happens and, eleven years is a long time...I'm sure it was difficult on both of them and their families.

I guess I did, it wasn't like a huge surprise, but then it happens and, eleven years is a long time...I'm sure it was difficult on both of them and their families.

Yeah, it is and to me you really hit it on the head...sometimes we don't think about all the families involved and what they go through...heck of a business...:thud::thud:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Yeah, it is and to me you really hit it on the head...sometimes we don't think about all the families involved and what they go through...heck of a business...:thud::thud:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Very true! Greg needs to do what he thinks is best in the long run for his family. Maybe he sees what he believes to be the writing on the wall. At some point a man has to take a leap of faith and test the waters. If not for a few family matters last year, he would have most likely been HC at Tampa.

First, let me state that I am biased. I am a big fan of CDS for all the reasons noted in previous posts. There is one big reason that I haven't seen stated and if I just missed it somewhere along the line, my apologies to that poster. CDS WANTS to be here! I know coaches say that all the time but I believe CDS is totally sincere when he says that. I firmly believe that will pay big dividends for the baseball program in the long run. There isn't any doubt that CDS has the know how and ability when it comes to working with pitchers. It's the offense that really took a turn for the worse and he had turned that aspect over to former CGB. I've watched (and played) a lot of baseball over the last 45 or so years of my life and I saw this Tennessee Baseball Team do a lot of things that did not make sense at the plate and on the bases this past season. Little things that most casual fans would not notice but others might. For instance, I believe it was the 7th inning of that last game with Mississippi State that Andrew Lee got doubled-off at third base on the line drive. That was NOT Lee's fault. That was all on Bergeron. Especially after what happened in the Vandy game in the SEC tournament last year. Lee should not have been more than 6 inches off of that base in that situation. The general rule is to not be farther away from the bag than the 3rd baseman is from you if you are the runner. After being burned in such a key situation before, Bergeron should have tied a rope to Lee to keep him closer if needed. (I know that's not legal) The other situation that was glaringly bad coaching in my opinion and maybe even more egregious was during the rally in the bottom of the 9th in that game. There were no outs with Pruett on 3rd, Stewart on 2nd, down by 2 runs. Lee singles to the outfield, Pruett of course scores easily, Stewart advancing from 2nd to 3rd is running in a direct straight line from 2nd to 3rd and has to almost come to a complete stop to make the turn and head for home. That could be considered bad base running but my belief is that was bad coaching. Regardless of whether or not the outfielder makes a clean scoop or bobbles the ball, why wasn't he at least taking a wider path to 3rd even if at first thought he had no intention of trying to score. I am totally guessing as I have no direct knowledge of what goes on in practice but that seems to me that he had been either instructed to run directly to the bag many times before or knew that there was no chance of Bergeron sending him in that situation. Either way, I believe that goes back to poor coaching. Every base runner's instinct is to take a wider path to 3rd but for some reason Stewart did not when he should have. In any case, I was so happy to be in town for those three games against the Bulldogs. I don't think I have ever gotten more excited at any other Tennessee Baseball game than I was that Saturday against Mississippi State. That includes the days when I lived in Knoxville and attended games regularly during the time Todd Helton was playing.

Last edited:
Very true! Greg needs to do what he thinks is best in the long run for his family. Maybe he sees what he believes to be the writing on the wall. At some point a man has to take a leap of faith and test the waters. If not for a few family matters last year, he would have most likely been HC at Tampa.

Where is Bergeron going? Obviously, he would not willingly walk away from a high paying, high profile job without having another job already lined up?

Where is Bergeron going? Obviously, he would not willingly walk away from a high paying, high profile job without having another job already lined up?

I took it as he was given the opportunity to resign or be fired.......

Let it suffice to say that he is on the short list for a few jobs. I can assure you, however, that his decision to leave was his and his family's and not the university's. He was not forced out or asked to resign. He was, however, asked to make a solid commitment for the long term. He chose to pursue other opportunities. Sometimes a man may have to go backward to move forward.

Peerless98,
That story seems a little too convenient.
How can an assistant who works for a head coach with only one year left on his contract be asked to make a "solid commitment for the long term"?

Reactions: 2 people

Tampa has had the same HC for 13 years. They are currently in the D2 World Series where they are 1-0. Ranked number 1 most of the season. Highly unlikely.

Tampa has had the same HC for 13 years. They are currently in the D2 World Series where they are 1-0. Ranked number 1 most of the season. Highly unlikely.

And went 54-4 last year.

Hard to accept much of the posters spin to the move

He's talking about the USF job that was open in Tampa last year, not U of Tampa. But I'm skeptical of that, too. Bergie's resume doesn't stack up against the experience of the guy they got.

He's talking about the USF job that was open in Tampa last year, not U of Tampa. But I'm skeptical of that, too. Bergie's resume doesn't stack up against the experience of the guy they got.

I'm all for guys bettering their position in their career. I hope Bergie does well and wish him the best.

The wording of the article from Knoxville News sure doesn't sound like someone leaving on their own terms. Normally one doesn't resign unless they have a job waiting on them.

VN Store

Back