Huge news!

Peerless98,
That story seems a little too convenient.
How can an assistant who works for a head coach with only one year left on his contract be asked to make a "solid commitment for the long term"?

You kind of answered your own question actually. With a year left, discussions of the future are being held. Guys, I don't have a personal dog in the fight or a reason to just fabricate facts. I do, however, have info about the situation. Greg and his family have been considering this for a while. I have never claimed to have a source about any topic on Volnation; why would I start now about something that most consider a minor sport at UT just because?

You kind of answered your own question actually. With a year left, discussions of the future are being held. Guys, I don't have a personal dog in the fight or a reason to just fabricate facts. I do, however, have info about the situation. Greg and his family have been considering this for a while. I have never claimed to have a source about any topic on Volnation; why would I start now about something that most consider a minor sport at UT just because?

Could you please elaborate what "making an extended commitment" to the program for Berg means???

I think it's reasonable. The article definitely makes it sound like he was told to resign to me, but I have no info on it so I have no problem taking your word.

Could you please elaborate what "making an extended commitment" to the program for Berg means???

Obviously I wasn't in the meetings, but the way I understand it is that he was questioned about his future commitment to the program. UT is fully aware that feelers were put out last year to gauge his interest in other programs; however, they had recently closed on a home, and the timing was wrong for the family. Like I stated before, sometimes you have to go backward to go forward. Simply put, the fact is that if Greg wanted to stay, he could have stayed. Most of the folks on here want to believe otherwise, but that simply isn't true. I have no reason to protect his image; facts are facts though.

I think it's reasonable. The article definitely makes it sound like he was told to resign to me, but I have no info on it so I have no problem taking your word.

I agree; the article does make it sound that way. I also think that UT is not known for coming out and saying someone "left" the university; damage control I guess.

Give Serrano two year extension, bring in Chris Burke as associate HC in charge of hitting and defense. Serrano gets another chance at rebuilding the program, CB gets groomed for a HC job down the road and it's a win win for everyone.

This x's 100!!

Reactions: 2 people
What Rusty Ensor says makes a LOT of sense to me. Hire a former MLB scout who can evaluate talent of a kid in HS.

that is the answer to the problem. All the coaching in the world will not fix the problem of recruiting. Tennessee still has a 1980s mindset when it comes to baseball in terms of recruiting while the rest of the SEC, including Vandy, has a 21st century mindset. This is not glorified club sports anymore it is big business at places like Vandy (17 states represented) TXAM, LSU, Florida, and most any other place in the SEC you want to name. You can't just recruit Farragut and expect to be competitive in the SEC. We have struggled to just make it to Hoover when 12 teams make it to Hoover! If Vandy and Arkansas can do it we can to!

I wonder if CDS might look at Phil Garner or Todd Helton to come in and work with the program in some capacity.

It will be interesting to see if CDS hires somebody with prior SEC experience to replace Bergeron.

Thoughts?

peerless, I appreciate that you are loyal to a friend. However, when you consider:
--Serrano said at the end of the year, "changes" would be made
--Bergeron "resigns" without having another job lined up
--A lot of info flying around about how disliked Bergeron is by players and others

Your story doesn't add up. No one walks away from a good paying job because he might get fired after next year unless he has another good paying job lined up.

Tough move for him and the family but that's the nature of the career he chose. If he's a respected coach, he will have no problem finding another job (see Bill Mosiello).

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if CDS might look at Phil Garner or Todd Helton to come in and work with the program in some capacity.

It will be interesting to see if CDS hires somebody with prior SEC experience to replace Bergeron.

Thoughts?

I think CDS might reach out to Garner and Helton and get some thoughts, maybe some names, but I venture to say that's as far as it goes, if even that happens.

I'm not sure who they will look at, or what kind of experience they will be looking for, but obviously offensive philosophy, hitting and player development will be key.

The good news is we don't HAVE to get the total package, we have the recruiting covered with Thomas and CDS. Dill to work with pitchers and then this new person to work on offense and defense development.

The number one issue facing this staff is the draft, not just in terms of current players, but also the 2015 Commits. Is there a guy out there that would be a "splash" hire in terms of a resume of developing kids into MLB players? I'm not sure, but it is an opportunity to improve the staff with the right fit.

It's also a chance to get out in front of the questions CDS will surely face on the recruiting trail, specifically the 2017 class.

Wes Rucker says he has not heard any names mentioned yet. I hope someone is hired before the draft

that is the answer to the problem. All the coaching in the world will not fix the problem of recruiting. Tennessee still has a 1980s mindset when it comes to baseball in terms of recruiting while the rest of the SEC, including Vandy, has a 21st century mindset. This is not glorified club sports anymore it is big business at places like Vandy (17 states represented) TXAM, LSU, Florida, and most any other place in the SEC you want to name. You can't just recruit Farragut and expect to be competitive in the SEC. We have struggled to just make it to Hoover when 12 teams make it to Hoover! If Vandy and Arkansas can do it we can to!

Just look at the SEC POY, he's from Cincy and made his way to Fayetteville.

Last edited:
Are we going to need to give CDS a 1-year extension in order to be able to attract a good candidate to fill the position? Hiring someone when the head coach will be in his final year of his contract seems tough.

Just look at the SEC POY, he's from Cincy and made his way to Fayetteville.

Here's the thing...On our roster we have kids from 14 states...of the 10 freshman on the roster, only one is from Tennessee, Ensworth, not Farragut.

OTOH, take a guy like Senzel from Farragut, who signed with UGA, but because of the coaching change we got him. Imagine if he was having the same seasons at UGA, people would be screaming that CDS can't get talent from under his own nose.

We have 4 Farragut players on the roster, Simcox, Senzel, Serrano and Freeman...Lance from Bearden...Owenby from Powell and Lee from Morristown...Wormsley from Webb...

Spread across 4 years of the roster, eight players from East Tennessee.

Minus Stewart, our biggest contributors were in state kids. Out of state recruiting is not the problem, we get our share of out of state kids. We need more production from the out of state kids we get.

Since Bergy is gone player morale will be better next year, and we may keep some kids that would have otherwise left for pro ball. In this instance, change is good.

with the exception of Lee and Stewart it doesn't appear that Tennessee has physical enough players to play anything but small ball. they appear to me to be among the smallest teams in the SEC. JMO

with the exception of Lee and Stewart it doesn't appear that Tennessee has physical enough players to play anything but small ball. they appear to me to be among the smallest teams in the SEC. JMO

Why does that suprise you? That is the style Burgy wanted to play. I would hope he would recruit players that fit his system. Thats like a passing team recruiting a option QB.

Now that changes with this incoming freshman class. Cabbage, Harris, and Neal can swing it!! (Of course Betts and Hayes too but im counting them as gone)

TENNESSEE
C - Santiago - 5'11, 175 (Houser 6'2, 220)
1B - Wormsley - 6'0, 180 (Lee 6'5, 220, Maggio 6'5, 240)
2B - Senzel - 6'1, 205
SS - Simcox - 6'3, 195
3B - Pruett - 5'8, 160
LF - Stewart - 6'0, 205
CF - Hall - 5'11, 175 (Vincent Jackson 6'5 205)
RF - Rodgers - 6'1, 185
DH - Lee 6-5, 220
P - Marks - 6'3, 190

Avg. 6'0 (72.8 in.), 189.0

VANDY
DH - Coleman - 5'5, 150
RF - Wiseman - 6-1, 205
SS - Swanson - 6-1, 190
1B - Wiel - 6'3, 225
3B - Toffey - 6'2 195
CF - Reynolds - 6'2, 210
LF - Kendall - 5'11, 180
2B - Murfee - 6'2, 190
C - Ellison - 6'0, 200
P - Johnson - 6'1, 170

Avg. 6'0 (72.4 in), 191.5

FLORIDA
LF - Bader - 6'0, 190
CF - Reed - 6'3, 200
SS - Martin - 6'0 185
2B - Tobias - 5'10, 205
1B - Alonso - 6'2, 225
C - Schwarz - 6'1, 205
DH - Rivera - 5'10, 205
RF Vasquez - 5'11, 205
3B - Hicks - 6'4, 200
P Hanhold - 6'5, 205

Avg. 6'1 (73 in.), 202

LSU
RF - Laird - 6'2, 173
LF - Fraley - 6'0, 183
SS - Bregman - 6'0, 186
3B - Hale - 6'2, 185
C - Scivicque - 5'11, 223
CF - Stevenson 6'0 184
1B - Chinea - 5'11, 220
DH - Sciambra - 5'9, 184
2B - Foster - 6'0, 200
P - Lange - 6'3, 198

Avg. 6'0 (72.2 in.), 193.6

Note, If Houser is the catcher, Maggio at 1B and VJax in CF, the way we started the season...

Avg. 6'2 (74.2 in.), 202.5...we'd have the biggest lineup of the four teams. That's without having Rodgers or Langhorne at 3B (both bigger than Pruett) and Leftridge in RF.

If you can't buy the stats, take what Burke said on the Basilio show yesterday... when asked opinion on if the problem may have to do with the S&C program and being too small...he laughed, listed the players and his exact words were "They're huge"...

VN Store

Back