I Formation (rumor)

That would be great, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. Butch said "pistol" in the press conference today, but that was it.

If they just put anyone in at FB, then defenses should pick up quickly on the fact that the other back is never getting the ball and ignore him.

To make it work the defense has to respect all three backs in the backfield as being options. If only 2 are options, might as well use something different.

They can easily run the I-formation with both their backs ..Kelly is a big dude too and can block. With Mobile QB in the I-formation, they have the luxury of QB taking off too ..

That would be great, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. Butch said "pistol" in the press conference today, but that was it.

And he said wing T the week before Florida as well.

Though pistol is still a shotgun based formation so that may be possible.

Reactions: 1 person
The "I" is what you run when your line sucks. Simple blocking schemes and ,hopefully, no more delayed handoffs.

No, the other poster was right. The "I" works when you have an oline that will mash people....we don't have that. With the spread, you can mask a weaker oline as the spread is all about angles and allowing the back to choose the lane. With an "I", there aren't cutback options etc, so if the line isn't successful creating a hole, it is not going far.

Reactions: 7 people
No, the other poster was right. The "I" works when you have an oline that will mash people....we don't have that. With the spread, you can mask a weaker oline as the spread is all about angles and allowing the back to choose the lane. With an "I", there aren't cutback options etc, so if the line isn't successful creating a hole, it is not going far.

So, you're saying: there is no WE in an I with this OL ?

I could definitely see Jakob Johnson being the fullback in I-formation. Mix that in with our spread and pistol and more formations for defense to worry about is good. If it is successful of course

We all know Butch doesn't change his offense for anyone, he uses it even if the players don't fit his system.

I doubt we'll see anything much different come Saturday, save a play or two.

Go Vols

Who's going to be our FB then? We bringing back Greg Amsler or Shawn Bryson? I'd take that! LOL!

That's the real issue...we haven't recruited anyone to be a FB and definitely haven't practiced anyone at FB...Ethan Wolf might be too tall (6'6") but it could be something
Jakob Johnson could excel at...6'3" and 250 pounds plus he is athletic...

One problem with this is you would now have Dobbs playing under center. Having a center and a QB who don't practice these kind of snaps could get a little dicey. Plus implementing that much of a fundamental change in a road game where noise might be an issue is a little scary (even if its USCe).

They should be able to handle this no problem, but all it takes is one bad snap and fumble for this to not work. Hopefully they dispel my doubts!

The other issue is no FB. Not sure who would play it...

Should be great for Hurd...wouldn't want to be in front of him with a full head of steam

Last edited:

That is what I think too. But the coaches on volnation will disagree with you.

Yeessssssssss!!! Running out of the I formation, Hurd will go for 250 yards against the cocks.

We ran that against Northwestern. I thought they might go back there against some of these weaker teams.

I can't remember how good Northwestern's D was going into our bowl game last year.

Didn't we devastate them out of the I-formation.

Apparently all our linemen are back at practice. Same line when healthy we had in the bowl game.

I'd love to see Hurd do some damage out of the I-formation.

VN Store

Back