I Have Not Seen An SEC Quarterback On This Team Yet

If anybody thinks Guarantano is an SEC caliber quarterback I'd like to know why. He is not quick nor elusive. He almost seems lethargic. His passing has been abysmal. I have seen no hint of any "it" factor. His play has been thoroughly disappointing.

Obviously Quinten Dormady is not elusive nor did he show any consistency in passing the ball. But now that we've had time to evaluate Guarantano it seems Dormady did a better job. Which isn't saying much.

McBride showed heart but nothing that was SEC caliber as of yet. Maybe as he grows in the system.

Statistically, if this team isn't in the top three worst offensive teams in the last 30 years I'd be shocked.

We have got to get a better quarterback.

Not even close. You average 20 ppg
2015 Mizzou averaged 13 ppg. And we had a top 10 defense

Give them an opportunity to not be at a disadvantage before you throw them out with the bath water

They've been getting their opportunities. And so far - nothing.

Again, I ask you - would you like to cite some specific plays where he showed such flash?

I'm glad to concede your point of view. I'm sure he's a fine young man and I want the best for him but strictly speaking about an SEC QB position he doesn't look like he's got the goods to me. Maybe in a couple of years. But we can't wait that long.

If anybody thinks Guarantano is an SEC caliber quarterback I'd like to know why. He is not quick nor elusive. He almost seems lethargic. His passing has been abysmal. I have seen no hint of any "it" factor. His play has been thoroughly disappointing.

Obviously Quinten Dormady is not elusive nor did he show any consistency in passing the ball. But now that we've had time to evaluate Guarantano it seems Dormady did a better job. Which isn't saying much.

McBride showed heart but nothing that was SEC caliber as of yet. Maybe as he grows in the system.

Statistically, if this team isn't in the top three worst offensive teams in the last 30 years I'd be shocked.

Martinez is on his way!

Reactions: 1 person
They've been getting their opportunities. And so far - nothing.

Again, I ask you - would you like to cite some specific plays where he showed such flash?

I'm glad to concede your point of view. I'm sure he's a fine young man and I want the best for him but strictly speaking about an SEC QB position he doesn't look like he's got the goods to me. Maybe in a couple of years. But we can't wait that long.

Opportunities as in time to throw, receivers actually running routes instead of blocking. You seen any superstars on this team besides Trey and the punter? Let them get some coaching and see what happens.

Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would look horrible behind this offensive line.

Funny. I never counted Peyton live but if you count Brady from the time he gets the ball til it's released it's gone in usually 3 seconds. Try counting him tomorrow and see how long he holds the ball. If they want to send him down here for the Vandy game I'll take him.

Nate Peterman also didn't look like an SEC QB when he played for the Vols, but he is starting tomorrow for the Buffalo Bills. Let's get some good coaching and then make a decision on the quality of the QBs.

Reactions: 2 people
If you told me a few years ago that Jeff Driskel, Nathan Peterman and Jacoby Brissett would be on NFL rosters and two of them would be starting games, I'd have said you're crazy as hell.

I wouldn't pass judgment on anyone until you get a real coach

Reactions: 4 people
If you told me a few years ago that Jeff Driskel, Nathan Peterman and Jacoby Brissett would be on NFL rosters and two of them would be starting games, I'd have said you're crazy as hell.

I wouldn't pass judgment on anyone until you get a real coach

Driskel and Brissett? I had to go look to see what NFL team Driskel is on. I didnt even know he was in the NFL and I have 11 fantasy football teams I manage.

If you play FF so you'll know how well they've done and if they're in the league in 2 years I'll lick the bottom of your shoes. Brissett has been a train wreck and if Luck hadn't gotten hurt he'd be over on the sidelines still handing everybody Gatorade. But you are right in that we never know.

The problem is - we need a successful QB now. Maybe Guarantano makes a fine NFL QB one day. But he sucks as an SEC QB now.

You know how Peterman and Ferguson looked even worse, then suddenly became NFL type quarterbacks at other schools?

There's your answer, OP.

Guarantano is a top-notch SEC QB with experience and proper coaching. With poor coaching and a MASH unit for an O-line, and maybe like 1 or 2 serviceable WRs, of course he doesn't look great. And don't forget he's playing injured (is anyone on our team not injured?) which is why his mobility is reduced.

Honestly, though, I think he could be the best QB in the SEC in 2-3 years if we'd just get someone who knows how to coach him and run an actual offense. There are plenty of top-notch QBs that looked awful during their early years w/ poor coaching (e.g. Carson Palmer).

JG is frail, not quick, indecisive and certainly not anything like a dual-threat QB he was thought to be. I know the O Line is weak, but ...... Maybe the 4* coming in will fit the new Offense better? At least they played hard tonight. Muffed punts were the killer. And that opening second half fiasco.

Yep..this.

What exactly is an "SEC quarterback." SEC currently only has 2 QBs with 20+ TDs this year

Would you be arguing that in general the SEC QB's are subpar compared to other leagues?

But to answer your question:

One who can get rid of the ball more quickly than an average of 6.3 seconds.

One who can escape the clutches of Big Mac eatin' defensive lineman that runs a 6.2 40.

One who can throw a football and get it within 5 feet of a 2 star receiver that was rated as a 3 or 4 star while evading a Big Mac eatin' defensive lineman that runs a 6.2 40.

One who can get a first down when he literally needs one inch.

One who has a good attitude, has fire, and inspires his team.

Guarantano is a top-notch SEC QB with experience and proper coaching. With poor coaching and a MASH unit for an O-line, and maybe like 1 or 2 serviceable WRs, of course he doesn't look great. And don't forget he's playing injured (is anyone on our team not injured?) which is why his mobility is reduced.

Honestly, though, I think he could be the best QB in the SEC in 2-3 years if we'd just get someone who knows how to coach him and run an actual offense. There are plenty of top-notch QBs that looked awful during their early years w/ poor coaching (e.g. Carson Palmer).

I would love for you to be exactly correct on all these points.

One thing I never want to do is to get on a message board and act like football is more important that it is. If any of these young men ever read any of this stuff I would not want them to think their self-worth revolved around whether or not they can be a successful SEC QB or player.

I'm sure all those men are fine people and I want the best for them all.

I'm like any other fan. Just venting after watching the team I pull for get obliterated all year long.

I've been watching and pulling for the Vols for 30 plus years. It will be no different next week vs. Vandy and it will be no different in 2018.

If they're smart they don't read stupid comments like mine on stupid message boards but in case they do - get your work in QD and JG and WM and I hope the best for all you young men.

Go Vols.

Driskel and Brissett? I had to go look to see what NFL team Driskel is on. I didnt even know he was in the NFL and I have 11 fantasy football teams I manage.

If you play FF so you'll know how well they've done and if they're in the league in 2 years I'll lick the bottom of your shoes. Brissett has been a train wreck and if Luck hadn't gotten hurt he'd be over on the sidelines still handing everybody Gatorade. But you are right in that we never know.

The problem is - we need a successful QB now. Maybe Guarantano makes a fine NFL QB one day. But he sucks as an SEC QB now.

No one's putting them in the Hall of Fame.

The point is pretty obvious. If they were good enough to be on NFL rosters, they were good enough to not play like complete dog**** while in college.

Driskel, Peterman, and Brisett all were successful after leaving Tennessee and Florida. They all were good enough to get paid to play professionally in the NFL.

It's not complicated

No one's putting them in the Hall of Fame.

The point is pretty obvious. If they were good enough to be on NFL rosters, they were good enough to not play like complete dog**** while in college.

Driskel, Peterman, and Brisett all were successful after leaving Tennessee and Florida. They all were good enough to get paid to play professionally in the NFL.

It's not complicated

My post was not titled - "I don't think Guarantano could make an NFL roster in 5 years."

I'm saying right now in no way does he look like an SEC caliber QB.

How does making an NFL roster 5 years from now make him a SEC QB now?

I'll ask you like I asked the other guy. What specific plays can you cite which remotely showed him to be capable of getting us to an SEC championship. I'm not talking about the play of the O-line or the receivers dropping the ball. I'm talking about his play alone. What have you seen that gives you such optimism. The proof is in the pudding and all I've seen on the field is less than mediocre football play out of the young man.

My post was not titled - "I don't think Guarantano could make an NFL roster in 5 years."

I'm saying right now in no way does he look like an SEC caliber QB.

How does making an NFL roster 5 years from now make him a SEC QB now?

I'll ask you like I asked the other guy. What specific plays can you cite which remotely showed him to be capable of getting us to an SEC championship. I'm not talking about the play of the O-line or the receivers dropping the ball. I'm talking about his play alone. What have you seen that gives you such optimism. The proof is in the pudding and all I've seen on the field is less than mediocre football play out of the young man.

No one on the Tennessee roster or the Florida roster looks like an SEC player right now. I wonder, why?

I have no idea how he'll perform in the future.

But, he and the rest of the team, have not been coached or prepared to play the game properly and it's impossible to know what they are capable of because they have been put in a position to fail.

In 1990, Spurrier got to Florida. He was unable to take Florida's starting QB, Kyle Morris, and do much of anything with him. But, some dude named Shane Matthews, who was 5th on the depth chart, became the 1990 SEC player of the year.

I would not give up on the kid at this point.

No one on the Tennessee roster or the Florida roster looks like an SEC player right now. I wonder, why?

I have no idea how he'll perform in the future.

But, he and the rest of the team, have not been coached or prepared to play the game properly and it's impossible to know what they are capable of because they have been put in a position to fail.

In 1990, Spurrier got to Florida. He was unable to take Florida's starting QB, Kyle Morris, and do much of anything with him. But, some dude named Shane Matthews, who was 5th on the depth chart, became the 1990 SEC player of the year.

I would not give up on the kid at this point.

Been fun venting with you. I really do hope you're right and I'm wrong. I'm done for the night. Appreciate the exchange with all you guys. Even if you disagree with me. Props and respect.

Go Vols.

i wasn't impressed at all. i thought the ball came out floating, and he has zero pocket awareness.

that said, the o line is just not very good and with only 5 guys healthy right now, it's probably a victory he made it thru uninjured.

the problems with this offense can all be tied to the O line first and foremost. the qb though is not enough to make up for those deficiencies. the last two years, we had a qb that could make up for those with his feet.

and we're just seeing the end result of what the last 5 years has built.

it was time for a change.

VN Store

Back