I see this game going only 2 different ways

I don't think there is a huge talent differential of these two teams. The one who executes the best and doesn't turn it over will win. I am hoping the call to create some turnovers happens in this game. They have fumbled five times and lost only one. We have fumbled four and lost two so possessions off of turnovers are highly likely in this game. We have to hope they are the ones turning it over.

Basically these are the same 2 teams that played till a last second hail mary last year?!?

This game will probably go late into the 4th, unless one or the other goes nuts with turnovers!

JMO

Reactions: savannahfan
Two ways. Either we sow them a can of Whoopass, or we actually open it.
Go Vols! And bring your CAN OPENER!!!

We couldn't blow UTEP out. It will be a close game.
True, but we were our own worst enemy. We left a lot of points off the board. Execution wasn't great. I do believe Pruitt wasn't so much trying to run up the score as he was working in experience. The stats tell a different story. I don't care who you are, holding any team to only 134 total yards and a shut out is pretty damn good. Not to mention winning the time of possession battle, which is what we need to do if we are to pull any upsets this season.

I think it’s a close game no matter what.

Whoever gets a lead will play not to screw it up and won’t pull away.

Whoever is behind won’t go crazy and get out of character because they know the other team won’t be able to put the hammer down.

The only way, IMO, this gets ugly is one team decides to hand the game over.

Both teams are capable of that.

But, I seriously doubt Florida or Tennessee even have the mindset of pouring it on. They’ll be so damn glad to be ahead they won’t know what to do.

I have no idea how we will do against you guys but I can tell you that your analysis regarding Pruitt pouring it on is dead wrong. CJP only knows how to play championship football against top teams. I seriously doubt he decides to get conservative if we get ahead. Our biggest problem is that we have not shown that we can get it together out of the gate and I am concerned that Florida could easily go up 7-14 in the first quarter while we get adjusted. Fortunately, gators would be likely to screw up any lead and CJP has got our guys better on turnovers so who know what the end result will be?

Can we please for once not kick it directly to one of their returners, (Punt or Kickoff) so many years their return game has killed us.

I don't see us being able to move the ball consistently. Our O line just doesn't seem to be enough to create lanes and protect JG.

As a result, I don't see us scoring enough to win a blowout.

In fact, I'm concerned about UF's defense putting Franks in easy scoring situations.

Remember people, it's Florida.

Unless one team turns the ball over alot, it will be close. I dont think either team is good enough on offense to blow the other out.

One way to analyze the upcoming game is to compare weaknesses:
  • Florida weaknesses: inability to stop the run, indecision at QB, inconsistent OL.
  • Tennessee weaknesses: inconsistent OL (start horrific, get better as the game goes on), young/inexperienced DBs.
Florida's inability to stop the run, combined with our potent, 4-headed running attack, spells real trouble for the Gators. After the 1st quarter (when we know by experience many run plays will be stopped at the LoS or earlier because of ineffective blocking), we should be able to do two key things with this advantage: dominate time of possession --> shorten the game (so it will be fairly low-scoring), and get into the red zone. Once we are in the red zone, the question is whether we have enough balance in our attack to score (and enough discipline in our players to avoid devastating penalties). Given all that, we're not gonna score 40+ points, and I doubt we score 30+. But we might score enough to win, because...

Florida's indecisive and inaccurate QB play will likely offset our inexperienced defensive backfield. Sure, some FL receivers will get wide open. Then Franks will often miss them. Don't get me wrong, Florida will complete some passes, and will get chunk yards from time to time off our DBs. But, thanks to Feleipe's errant arm, not enough to score routinely.

Key to the Game: Franks has a temper. He can be petulant when things aren't going his way. If we can frustrate him enough, he'll become his own team's worst nightmare. And that doesn't necessarily have to = sacks. If we can hurry him up repeatedly, and knock down some of his throws, that might be enough to light his fuse. This may be the key deciding element of the match.

I think this is going to be a relatively close game, either way. Say within 3-7 points. And the result will probably be in the 20s, like 27-24 or 28-21. I do like our chances of coming out on top. Our weaknesses simply don't hurt us as much as theirs cripple them.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I think it’s a close game no matter what.

Whoever is behind won’t go crazy and get out of character because they know the other team won’t be able to put the hammer down.

Both teams are capable of that.

But, I seriously doubt Florida or Tennessee even have the mindset of pouring it on. They’ll be so damn glad to be ahead they won’t know what to do.
typically i would agree. but we really don't know what Pruitt would do up by 14 in the 3rd qtr.

my gut says....what he's said....we don't pay attention to the scoreboard and keep playing the way we're supposed to.

i know this, i'd like to find out.

i also agree, i think mistakes will stand out like a sore thumb. neither team wants to turn it over.

i think penalties and turnovers will be part of the story in this game, regardless of who wins.

One way to analyze the upcoming game is to compare weaknesses:
  • Florida weaknesses: inability to stop the run, indecision at QB, inconsistent OL.
  • Tennessee weaknesses: inconsistent OL (start horrific, get better as the game goes on), young/inexperienced DBs.
Florida's inability to stop the run, combined with our potent, 4-headed running attack, spells real trouble for the Gators. After the 1st quarter (when we know by experience many run plays will be stopped at the LoS or earlier because of ineffective blocking), we should be able to do two key things with this advantage: dominate time of possession --> shorten the game (so it will be fairly low-scoring), and get into the red zone. Once we are in the red zone, the question is whether we have enough balance in our attack to score (and enough discipline in our players to avoid devastating penalties). Given all that, we're not gonna score 40+ points, and I doubt we score 30+. But we might score enough to win, because...

Florida's indecisive and inaccurate QB play will likely offset our inexperienced defensive backfield. Sure, some FL receivers will get wide open. Then Franks will often miss them. Don't get me wrong, Florida will complete some passes, and will get chunk yards from time to time off our DBs. But, thanks to Feleipe's errant arm, not enough to score routinely.

I think this is going to be a relatively close game, either way. Say within 3-7 points. And the result will probably be in the 20s, like 27-24 or 28-21. I do like our chances of coming out on top. Our weaknesses simply don't hurt us as much as theirs cripple them.

Go Vols!
agree with all this, except for one thing, and it's really just an "if". if we aren't good on 1st down, it'll be hard to put drives together. that start against WVU was killer. we have to avoid that kind of start. i think if i have a choice, i'd put FL on the field first, and see if our defense can't generate a little momentum before the offense gets out there.

good 1st down offense leads to 3rd down conversions. that'll be something to keep an eye on. cause i do agree with you, we're gonna want to possess the ball and take opportunistic shots. i'd like to see us with a decided TOP advantage.

defensively, we really need to be able to stop the run. i agree with you about Franks. the kid has a live arm as we all know, but he's not been overly accurate, and could be apt to make some mistakes. and i think they look at our defense and think they probably can run the ball, and not have to put the game in Franks' hands. so if we're choosing something to take away...then i choose to take away Scarlett and Perine.

lss, i think both teams come in with relatively similar philosophies on how they can best win. we'll see who can actually do it.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I see (4) possible outcomes. (1) We lose (2) We win (3) Ends in a tie (4) a foreight

Most likely outcome is for us to lose!

99Gator, I always enjoy reading your posts. I just read your prediction post last year and it was frightingly accurate (I'm sure I read it last year too but I had forgotten it). I graduated in '99, assuming you did as well. Completely different world back then in terms of our programs. Anyway, there are so many unknowns going into Saturday I don't see how Vegas could come up with any kinds of odds. I miss the days of hating Gator fans with their trash talk. Even Bama fans don't trash talk to us anymore. What's there to brag about?

1. We blow UF out

2. UF wins a close game

Let me explain. I believe if we want to win, we have to jump up early and rattle the Gators. Basically we need to do what we’ve struggled with all season....Start fast. I truly believe if the Vols are up up multiple scores by halftime, the Gators are done. They don’t have the makeup of a team to be able to come back in that type of game. Luckily, I do think the Vols have some stuff up their sleve in order to jump up early and never look back.

However if we fail to execute the plan, I don’t see UF straight up blowing us out as a possibility. They’re just not good enough to come into an opposing stadium and do that. But. If it remains close into the 4th, I hate our chances. I don’t think our team will have the confidence to make the plays down the stretch unfortunately and UF will squeeze it out. Everytime this game has been down to the wire as of late, UT has always failed to get it done.

Thoughts?
could be entirely wrong, but I think it will be close, either way. The X factor, to me, is special teams and turn overs. If either team sacrifices a back breaker punt return or more than one turn over, it's going to be hard to overcome w/ the seemingly equally "average" offenses on both sides.

agree with all this, except for one thing, and it's really just an "if". if we aren't good on 1st down, it'll be hard to put drives together. that start against WVU was killer. we have to avoid that kind of start. i think if i have a choice, i'd put FL on the field first, and see if our defense can't generate a little momentum before the offense gets out there.

good 1st down offense leads to 3rd down conversions. that'll be something to keep an eye on. cause i do agree with you, we're gonna want to possess the ball and take opportunistic shots. i'd like to see us with a decided TOP advantage.

defensively, we really need to be able to stop the run. i agree with you about Franks. the kid has a live arm as we all know, but he's not been overly accurate, and could be apt to make some mistakes. and i think they look at our defense and think they probably can run the ball, and not have to put the game in Franks' hands. so if we're choosing something to take away...then i choose to take away Scarlett and Perine.

lss, i think both teams come in with relatively similar philosophies on how they can best win. we'll see who can actually do it.

Let's add just one more level of complexity, this one based on psychology: Mullen sees himself as The QB Whisperer.

You know that gif in the Make Fun of Florida thread, where Mullen is dancing in front of Franks, even pokes him in the belly to get him to watch? That's Mullen trying to get inside his QB's head, calm him down, make him lighten up. In other words, that is a prime example of Mullen "QB whispering."

Dan prides himself on that skill set; it's largely the thing that has gotten him to the Head Coach position at a top football program.

And I think he's gonna keep pushing it, pushing that "strength."

Which means we probably WON'T see both teams come into Neyland with the same game plan (control the clock, keep the offense on the field, run and run and run again). We should, it's the logical play for both sides, but we won't. Not with The QB Whisperer calling shots on one sideline. We're going to see him try to win using Franks' arm. Mullen won't be able to help himself (I hope).

And that is more an advantage for us than it is for them.

Mullen may be able to find great success at Florida, given his strengths. But it's not going to be with Franks as his QB. And it's not going to be leaning on the run game.

Which gives us a leg up this Saturday.

Last edited:
I don't see us being able to move the ball consistently. Our O line just doesn't seem to be enough to create lanes and protect JG.

As a result, I don't see us scoring enough to win a blowout.

In fact, I'm concerned about UF's defense putting Franks in easy scoring situations.

Remember people, it's Florida.

This is probably the only area that Florida is an offensive threat. Franks is terrible, but if we let them get into short-yardage situations, and can't force him to throw, then we are going to be in trouble if they can leverage Jordan Scarlett.

Luckily, from what I've seen so far, Florida's offensive line is nearly as bad or maybe worse than ours. If the defense can't get penetration on them, then we don't have much of a chance against any other SEC opponent on the schedule.

Reactions: lonelawyer
We couldn't blow UTEP out. It will be a close game.
Come on man, look at the stats
Utep total yards 134/ Vols 512
Rushing Utep 95/ Vols 345
Passing Utep 39/ Vols 167
We left 2 touchdowns on the field.
That's a blowout, I'm not saying we're an awesome team but people making it sound like we barely beat Utep that game was never in doubt. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything everybody has their own opinion, I actually had to take a break from posting because everyone seems to want to argue about anything that gets said, I know it's a message board but man there is too much doom and gloom about a sport and team we all love. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride and be glad football is on.
GO VOLS!!

I think you're right on all counts. Let's just add one more level of psychological complexity: Mullen sees himself as The QB Whisperer.

You know that gif in the Make Fun of Florida thread, where Mullen is dancing in front of Franks, even pokes him in the belly to get him to watch? That's Mullen trying to get inside his QB's head, calm him down, make him lighten up. In other words, that is a prime example of Mullen "QB whispering."

He prides himself on that skill set; it's largely the thing that has gotten him to the Head Coach position at a top football program.

And I think he's gonna keep pushing it, pushing that "strength."

Which means we probably WON'T see both teams come into Neyland with the same game plan (control the clock, keep the offense on the field, run and run and run again). Not with The QB Whisperer calling shots on one sideline. We're going to see him try to win using Franks' arm. Mullen won't be able to help himself (I hope).

And that is more an advantage for us than it is for them.

Mullen may be able to find great success at Florida, given his strengths. But it's not going to be with Franks as his QB. And it's not going to be leaning on the run game.

Which gives us a leg up this Saturday.
could be. i'm sure they believe there's match ups that favor them against our DB's. and their probably are, given the youth we have playing at CB. it's gonna be interesting. i'm still not convinced they totatlly trust Franks to put a game on his shoulders, on the road in the SEC. part of me hopes they do though, like you.

UT just doesn’t have what it takes to pull out a close W yet. So my only hope is it’s been 21-0 in a blink of an eye in favor of UT. Then again UF jumped up 21-0 in 2016 and we saw how that went. But UT certainly doesn’t have the tools to come back like they did in 2016.

If it’s close, I will just be waiting for that back breaking play. But seriously UF is due an absolute beat down at some point in this series.

How do you know Fla. has the ability to "hold on" to win a close one. This statement works both ways....
Looking back at past games tells you nothing about these two teams. This a new day for both. No way to tell how things will play out by looking back.

Tennessee's usual game plan.

Disagree. If history is any indicator, UT is the team that is usually having to play catch up at some point during this game and they tend to scrap plan A and begin slinging it all over the field.

IMO, turnovers will cause this game to get out of hand. If one team has trouble holding on to the ball and commits turnovers on their side of the field, this one may turn into a one sided game.

I believe this game will definitely fall into the category that most UF/UT games revolve around. Whoever rushes for the most yards and commits the fewest turnovers will win.

How do you know Fla. has the ability to "hold on" to win a close one. This statement works both ways....
Looking back at past games tells you nothing about these two teams. This a new day for both. No way to tell how things will play out by looking back.
agreed.

the only caveat to this is if this game comes down to a less than 1 possession game, i do trust FL's field goal kicker more than i do ours.

VN Store

Back