If Fulmer had fired Clawson mid season, would he have never been let go?

No. I think that comment came from a poster talking about the correct change at the time was to fire Fulmer. He went on to say that if Fulmer hadn’t been fired and the correct change had been made people would be questioning it today if Fulmer had continued to lose.

This was me. I said that.

So you’re saying he sucks as an AD?

No. I think that comment came from a poster talking about the correct change at the time was to fire Fulmer. He went on to say that if Fulmer hadn’t been fired and the correct change had been made people would be questioning it today if Fulmer had continued to lose.
“It could continue to go down” was yours. I’ve long ago conceded that Fulmer has been impressive making the big decisions. Guess I can be talked out of it. 🤔

I was talking about Pruitt not being the coach to bring this team to SEC champs and national champs contention. Nothing about Fulmer. I will say however I wish he had came back to work with O line recruit and coach. Since he has been gone the o line has been pathetic most years.

I was talking about Pruitt not being the coach to bring this team to SEC champs and national champs contention. Nothing about Fulmer. I will say however I wish he had came back to work with O line recruit and coach. Since he has been gone the o line has been pathetic most years.
Got into semi-trouble last season visiting with the OL. Doubt he does a repeat. And Fulmer picked Pruitt. If Pruitt ain’t the guy, Fulmer sucked at the decision.

Reactions: onevol74
Got into semi-trouble last season visiting with the OL. Doubt he does a repeat. And Fulmer picked Pruitt. If Pruitt ain’t the guy, Fulmer sucked at the decision.

That is the problem as the AD he can’t help coaching in any sport.

I also wouldn’t say he sucked ar his decision in fact outside of Hamilton I don’t blame any of the AD including Curry. Very few good established coach will not come here.

That is the problem as the AD he can’t help coaching in any sport.

I also wouldn’t say he sucked ar his decision in fact outside of Hamilton I don’t blame any of the AD including Curry. Very few good established coach will not come here.
Was Bob Stoops an established coach? Kirby? Going down a different road here.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
No and neither was Dabo. Everyone realizes that if Fulmer had taken the Clemson job Dabo said he would be interesting in talking to UT.

I only said that no big coach would come here because they have tried a few and that has been hang up for fans.

No and neither was Dabo. Everyone realizes that if Fulmer had taken the Clemson job Dabo said he would be interesting in talking to UT.

I only said that no big coach would come here because they have tried a few and that has been hang up for fans.
When did Fulmer and Dabo cross paths as head coaches?

I know Fulmer interviewed him a position coach and didnt hire him at one point.

Dabo was never on our radar. No coordinator experience even. And Fulmer was never an option for Clemson...not even a consideration.

Just because his replacements have not fared better does not mean Fulmer's firing was not justified!

If you really want to go that directions, all you have to do is look back at the end of his tenure and realize he is the reason the program is in the shape and situation it is, in!
Exactly. Kiffin had to mesh an offensive line together with two walk-ons since Fulmer left the cupboard bare. He also developed Crompton into a serving of chicken salad.

Fulmer would probably went 3-9 in 2009.

Fulmer would have never lost like we have besides if he had a couple of more losing season he could have been fired. The supposedly correct change has turned into a complete disaster and it could continue to go down.

There is NO evidence that we would have been any better off if we had kept Fulmer. After 2005 he never showed the capacity to bring the program back without Cutcliffe.

Using your logic Fulmer may have never been head coach at. UT. Majors won 3 SEC championships in his last 6 years. Fulmer won zero in his last 6 years and had two losing seasons. Spurrier’s return to USC in 2005 moved the Vols from the traditional 2nd or third team in the East to the 4th team in the East. The downward spiral started with Fulmer.

Reactions: Bigun
Dabo was never on our radar. No coordinator experience even. And Fulmer was never an option for Clemson...not even a consideration.

Yes. You see I knew you guys didn’t know much about Tennessee recent history. Tommy Bowden was fired at Clemson after six games of the 08 season. Dabo was hired as interim head coach for the remaining 08 season. When Fulmer was fired Clemson did talk to Fulmer and was interested in hiring him. Dabo stated during this time if Fulmer was named head coach he would interested in talking with UT as he was ready to be a head coach. As it turned out Fulmer turned Clemson down because he had no interest in leaving East Tennessee and Dabo was named head coach of Clemson.

There is NO evidence that we would have been any better off if we had kept Fulmer. After 2005 he never showed the capacity to bring the program back without Cutcliffe.

Using your logic Fulmer may have never been head coach at. UT. Majors won 3 SEC championships in his last 6 years. Fulmer won zero in his last 6 years and had two losing seasons. Spurrier’s return to USC in 2005 moved the Vols from the traditional 2nd or third team in the East to the 4th team in the East. The downward spiral started with Fulmer.

Whatever I’m tired of talking to just fans that don’t have a clue.

Also remember back then there was no SEC championship game and only ten teams. About half not very good including Florida most years. Georgia was decent but Tennessee didn’t play either much.

Tennessee played Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss usually very bad, Kentucky even worse and Vandy very terrible. Throw in a couple of teams each year the schedule was much easier in those days.

Yes. You see I knew you guys didn’t know much about Tennessee recent history. Tommy Bowden was fired at Clemson after six games of the 08 season. Dabo was hired as interim head coach for the remaining 08 season. When Fulmer was fired Clemson did talk to Fulmer and was interested in hiring him. Dabo stated during this time if Fulmer was named head coach he would interested in talking with UT as he was ready to be a head coach. As it turned out Fulmer turned Clemson down because he had no interest in leaving East Tennessee and Dabo was named head coach of Clemson.
Link something or it’s fiction. General accepted story is that the AD was looking for a reason to keep Dabo from the very beginning and never interviewed anyone else.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Link something or it’s fiction. General accepted story is that the AD was looking for a reason to keep Dabo from the very beginning and never interviewed anyone else.

I’ll have to look but I can promise this my father has been a donor since 1970 I have been a donor since 1993. The two of us along with other donors were going to donate to Clemson if Fulmer was hired.

You are right the AD did want Dabo the great fans wanted an established coach. See who won that one and who lost. Tennessee all around.

I’ll have to look but I can promise this my father has been a donor since 1970 I have been a donor since 1993. The two of us along with other donors were going to donate to Clemson if Fulmer was hired.

You are right the AD did want Dabo the great fans wanted an established coach. See who won that one and who lost. Tennessee all around.
If true, then thanks for sharing.

Most forget that he backdoor-ed the last two SECCG appearances.
Except for undefeated teams, almost every team "backdoors" their way into championships. You probably believe that a 3 pointer at the buzzer is worth more than a 3 pointer in the first minute of the game.

Never heard this story. Are you sure it was 2008 when Clemson approached Fulmer? Seems like would have done it in 2010 since that after Clemson went 6-7 and fans were upset.

Still not sure because I think Fulmer would have jumped at the chance. Rode the elevator up with Vicky and one daughter before the Wyoming game and she stated he would be coaching again very soon.

If true, then thanks for sharing.

It is true because I lived through it. I’ve been around UT football all my life. Started going in the 70’s my dad became a donor in 70 even though he is a graduate of LSU. He was born and raised here but went to LSU. I started donating in 93 and have continued to although I missed most games from 2002 to 2014. Before that I didn’t miss but a couple of home games one was the 96 Bama game my wife was in hospital giving birth to our first born. Since 2015 I’ve missed a couple of home games.

Never heard this story. Are you sure it was 2008 when Clemson approached Fulmer? Seems like would have done it in 2010 since that after Clemson went 6-7 and fans were upset.

Still not sure because I think Fulmer would have jumped at the chance. Rode the elevator up with Vicky and one daughter before the Wyoming game and she stated he would be coaching again very soon.

Yes 2008. When Bowden was fired and then Fulmer. Like I said the AD wanted Dabo but the fans wanted a more proven head coach and with a natty. I also don’t think UT ever interviewed or talked to Dabo it was him that said he would like to talk to UT if he wasn’t hired at Clemson.
Not sure why no one heard this. It was on the sports animal for nearly 3 or 4 weeks at the time all of this was happening. Lots of donor were upset with what was going on.

He never wanted to leave East Tennessee. She probably was talking about Clemson. That was really the only offer he had outside some out west.

Our coaches were not innovative in the mid 2000s and neither was most of the AD. Cutcliffe probably saved Fulmer from being fired a season or two earlier and it hurt us big time because that time period is when a lot was changing with what was considered okay in terms of player benefits and hiring extra coaches as analysts. I have heard Doug Matthews talk about how Fulmer expected the SEC to drop the hammer on Saban so he made no effort to fight fire with fire. That's how stuck in the past we were and that is why Hamilton went for a brash upstart young coach when he finally got a chance to replace Fulmer. I hope that Fulmer has learned from what happened and understands that you can't do it the 'old fashioned way' anymore and expect championships.

Reactions: Woke

Fulmer would probably went 3-9 in 2009.

VN Store

Back